Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Great Hall

Hey - Did anyone get married at or is anybody getting married at The Great Hall in Perrysville? I have a friend asking for opinions on it. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Great Hall

• Options
    lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My hairdresser is having a  Masquerade Ball wedding there on Halloween.  I believe they are a bit pricey, but the dj, catering, alcohol all comes with the package (I think).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The guy asking me said that it is BYOB. So maybe you can choose to include it? Are you going to the masquerade ball? It sounds fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alicia (PensChick) did 2 years ago. You could email her for details. I checked it out, and it is a nice hall and I think the catering is pretty reasonable (Remo's is one of the caterer choices), and I think you use their DJ. I am almost positive it is BYOB, and the manager told me the minimum for a Saturday night is 175 guests. Overall, it is a nice hall, since it is an old church, but personally, I don't love the layout of it. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does sound fun--I am not going--haven't known her that long.  When she first told me I though of halloween costumes, but she is doing classic hollywood attire with masks as favors.Oh and they must have changed something since I looked--the website says BYOB.http://www.thegreathall.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah, Alicia got married there. Alicia - you around?? :) I was really just wondering if anyone liked their experience. I was recommending a bunch of places to this couple and I don't know this one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alicia is not allowed to be on during the day....you still have her email address? I am pretty sure that she really enjoyed her reception there, and would give it a good review! (I was there as a guest and had a great time!)

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is where I had my reception!I loved it! My guests loved it! It is BYOB and if you chose Remos (which I would highly suggest) they get the bartenders from the bartending institute for 75 bucks each. You do not pay any additional hall rental fee. Granted, the price per plate is a little more expensive but that includes everything. THe Dj's that come with the place are an additional 500 dollars! They are also great! I got many many compliments about the dj. If you need anything else...let me know :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, egg lady. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no problem :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The couple that I know are actually using Erin's Fine Foods for their caterer (Ranked #2 in Pgh Mag for catering) and John Schisler photography. I had never heard of either. They are using the DJ provided by the Hall. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding there a few years back.  I personally wasn't impressed.  The couple chose to do chair covers which is a definate in my opinion especially for that hall.  It has a very gothic feel to it so it seems difficult to make it warm and inviting.  The food was ok and it was BYOB.  However everytime someone would set a drink down the waiter would take it and you'd have to keep going back to the bar. I think the DJ was ok... Overall it wasn't my favorite venue but it was still nice.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin just had her reception there this summer.  It was really nice.  It was BYOB but I beleive the catering, DJ, and cake were included.   But I thought it was really nice.
  • Options
    PensChick20PensChick20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm here, but only at night Molly! Whatcha need to know? Its definitely BYOB which made it cheaper and actually, the DJs were good and they were a deal compared to some I looked at. You know my email, ask away!
  • Options
    Point202Point202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had looked into it for our wedding.  You are required to use their caterers - as of a few months ago you could pick between Remo's or Erin's Fine Foods.  You are required to use their DJ.  There is no hall rental fee, and it is BYOB.  They ask that you use bartenders from one of the bartender training institutes.I would guess it would comfortably hold 150 or so.  Guests tables are arranged on the main floor, the bridal party, cake, etc. is arranged up on a sort of stage that has a railing in front of it.  The stage area is also where they have the dance floor.We didn't book it because we got some bad vibes about the place.  For example, we asked about calling references for the DJ, and were told no we couldn't do that.  During our tour the guy that owns the place seemed more interested in talking on his phone than he did in answering our questions.  I would probably book this venue for some other kind of party (i.e. graduation party, reunion or whatever), but not for a wedding.
  • Options
    PensChick20PensChick20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most halls though require you to use their caterer anyway, so thats not really a weird thing. You CAN bring in an outside band/DJ, but they will set up on the dance floor limiting some space for food and dancing if your bridal table is up there. They are not permitted to use the balcony because that is reserved for the house DJs. Only fair though its all their equipment and such. I used the DJs and they were great in my opinion, and even did a great job keeping the opening song a secret from DH (it was the Pittsburgh Penguins theme song). They were happy to oblige me when I sent them a copy of the song so they could have the theme song correct. They played all my must plays and none of my do not plays no matter what. I did not hate the owner, but not the best person to talk with, but I barely dealt with him past the initial tour. He said he knew my dad's big boss and played golf with him, but my dad asked his boss and they had no idea LOL. Anyway it was mainly it was the caterers that did all the work and Remo's was who I only could use at the time and they were good. They trayed my cookies and kept them coming out and full, set up my dessert buffet, kept everything going smoothly. Also they packaged leftover cakes, cookies and the top of the wedding cake. Prices have gone up since 07. but hey everything has in this day and age. I think it was $45ish a person for a 2 entree choice buffet with 3 sides, salad and an antipasta appetizer bar thing. And in total we paid about $300 for all the alcohol at the wedding and even took back some of the unopened bottles. And when we had ours there, the bartenders cost $50 plus some gratuity each with the tips they get that evening. I only had my reception there, not my ceremony so I have no comments on that aspect. All my guests seemed to like it and gave me great compliments on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards