Wedding Invitations & Paper

how do you decide who to invite?

--people who *were* in your life and you had a lot of fun together with, but haven't seen much recently (eg, college friends)

--people who *are* in your life at the moment (but there is no reason to think they will be in the future; in my case, I'm moving to a different city when I get married, so I imagine that I will only "take" a couple of my closest friends with me.)

--people who *will be* in your life (perhaps this is the most difficult to tell, the only certainty would be family. As I mentioned above, since I'm moving, this category would include more of the friends in my FI's city, where we will live.)

But, in my case, since the wedding will be in the city I currently live in, I think that the people in my first two categories would be more likely to come!

Another question:
Does anyone else have a position where a lot of people "look up to" or know them? Like, a teacher? In my case, I'm a choir director as well as a piano teacher, so I see all of these people for an hour or more every week. I can't possibly invite all of them, but maybe there is some of them with whom over the years I have developed a slightly closer relationship...can I invite just some of them? (They all know each other, so, yes, they would find out.) For those who are in a similar position, like teachers of some sort, it's strange how all of these people who I relate with probably think of me as being closer than I feel to them... like, I'm their ONLY piano teacher, but from my perspective, I have LOTS of students and I can't invite them all.

Any thoughts?
Anniversary

Re: how do you decide who to invite?

• I actually have a question on this point too. Are you supposed to invite your brother-in-law's family? My sister is getting very angry with me and threatening to not allow her children to be in my wedding if I don't invite her in-laws. I simply don't see them as MY family, and I don't know them very well, so I didn't think I should have to invite them... The dinner won't be cheap as it is, and I don't even think I could afford to feed 5 extra mouths... Am I wrong? How can I explain this to them if I am not wrong?
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    Budget necessitated a small guest list, so I prioritized family (parents, siblings), then extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins), then lifelong friends. Co-workers and more casual acquaintances, or friends I haven't seen in years and don't regularly talk to, got cut.

cydnigrace, I think your sister is being absolutely ridiculous. You're under no obligation to invite them, and certainly not if you don't know them. You're right; they're not your family.
  • cydnigrace: I am inviting (my parents suggested this, and it seems reasonable,) my sister-in-law's parents, but not her siblings. (But perhaps it is different in my case, since her parents were already friends of my parents before she became my sister-in-law.)
    Anniversary
  • ok, to slightly simplify my question:

who should get priority in who I invite (also keeping in mind that I'm moving away and will probably hardly see any of these people) --

-people who I have hung out with more recently or have been in my life in the more recent past but I don't actually feel that close to

-people who I haven't seen or talked to very much in the past few years, but I actually *like* them a lot more. (not always sure if my affection towards them is mutual!)

(argh, I'm trying to narrow down the last few people on the guest list, and it is sooooo haaaaard....!)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards