Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Step-Dad Drama

Looking for some feedback on how to word our invites.

To make the long story short, my fiance and I are not a big fan of his step-dad. However, his step-dad's family WAS a big part of his life when he was younger so there are a lot of relatives being invited from that side of the family.

In order to avoid drama we are agreeing to put the step-dad's name on the invite. My mom and dad are paying for the entire wedding...and my mom's request is to have her full name on the invite instead of "Mr. & Mrs. John Doe" or "Together with their families". The Step-Father will not be contributing a dime to the wedding. 

However, this wording looks very strange to me:
Mr. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe
and
Mr. Jerk-Stepfather Lastname and Mrs. Nicest-Person-Ever Lastname

The easy answer would be to omit the step-dad all together, or omit his family all together...but neither one of those is an option.

Thoughts?? How have people done their wording on their invites when it comes to spelling out names? I've looked at a ton of samples but wanted to get people's opinions on our specific situation.

Re: Step-Dad Drama

• Options
    LeiselEBLeiselEB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    This is the best way to do parents' names:
    Mr. and Mrs. Jane and John Doe

If you want both sets of names, don't put "and" between them:
    Mr. and Mrs. Jane and John Doe
    Mr. and Mrs. Sally and Bob Smith

Why is omitting your fiance's parents from the invitation not an option? If your parents are hosting, there is no reason to include his parents on there. The invitation is just a way for guests to get info about the wedding - it doesn't announce how everyone's related. 

I'd take the groom's parents out of the invitation and list them in the program instead. 
  • Options
    I've spoken with the fiance several times about this issue. His mother is the most caring person I've ever met and we both really want to include her on the invite. She's not able to contribute to the wedding, but she so badly wants to do so...she just can't due to her financial circumstance.

If we don't include either of them, we deal with the questions of why...and his family would call and ask...hence the avoiding of drama. 

Maybe I will bring up the thought of it not being an announcement of parents and the program can be moreso that...

I like the Mr. and Mrs. Jane and John Doe.

Thanks so much for your opinion!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards