Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

mistake on wedding invitation

I abbreviated the state we're getting married in (california) on our wedding invitation and our calligrapher said that it's a huge "NO-NO".  everybody that is invited knows we live in california and on our website it is pretty obvious that the wedding is taken place here.  i'm just so mad at myself for not knowing that you're not supposed to abbreviate and keep obsessing about it.... ugh!  
anyone wanna make me feel better??  ;)

Re: mistake on wedding invitation

• Options

Maybe the calligrapher just doesn't like it personally. I don't think it's a huge deal. Unless some people confuse it with CA - Canada. But I'm sure everyone will be clever enough to figure out it's in California. Don't worry about it.

• Options
    Yes it's a no no to abbreviate anything on the invitation.

But as long as everyone invited is aware that you're not asking them to go to Canada, it's a minor enough detail that should not hold them back from attending.
  • Options
    No worries, most people won't even know it's an invitation "no-no".  It's totally fine! :)
  • Options
    yay!  thanks for making me feel better.....Smile
  • Options
    Your calligrapher is correct. It is a huge "NO-NO".
  • Options
    I never heard this "rule" till I joined tk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure why "rule" is in quotes.

It's very old-school etiquette to have no abbreviations on an invitation or any formal document.  It's not awful that it's there but it's a detail that people in the industry may catch.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing!  I didn't know this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana is right, of course.  You shouldn't abbreviate anything on the invitation or the invitation envelope.  But if it's done, it's done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards