Wedding Invitations & Paper

too early for monogram?

Hello there!  Today I was looking at stamps for our invitations.  My FI and I really like the stamps that can have your monogram on it... e.g.  Amber and John with a cursive P behind it (P being his initial of last name).  The only other thing that will have a monogram is a little section on our cake.  Do you think it would be inappropriate to put his initial on the invitations, in a traditional sense, if we technically aren't married yet and my parents are hosting the wedding?  Am I thinking too much into this?  All I can think of is my mom saying... that was stupid.

Ladies, I need your help so I don't have to ask my mom! haha Thank you!

Re: too early for monogram?

• Ditto Squirrly.

Don't use what doesn't exist.
  • You can use it for post-ceremony events, but not for the ceremony itself.
    planning

• I say go for it. Even when you use the monogram at the reception, it technically isn't yours yet anyway since you have to have a certified copy of your marriage license to legally change your name. If you use that logic, then you can't use your monogram until weeks after the wedding. If you like the stamps, do it. I doubt anyone at the wedding will say, "Remember two months ago when we got their invitations and they had already used their monogram.. how tacky was that?"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_early-monogram?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:83d670e8-e5de-4e6b-b0d0-f2f53fd9332bPost:40fadd05-66e2-436d-aaf9-055656ca5017">Re: too early for monogram?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say go for it. Even when you use the monogram at the reception, it technically isn't yours yet anyway since you have to have a certified copy of your marriage license to legally change your name. If you use that logic, then you can't use your monogram until weeks after the wedding. If you like the stamps, do it. I doubt anyone at the wedding will say, "Remember two months ago when we got their invitations and they had already used their monogram.. how tacky was that?"
    Posted by hodgson.holt[/QUOTE]

It's not so much the legal aspect of changing your name.  For one thing, many people consider it bad luck.  But, it's just like not using your wedding gifts until after the wedding itself - up until you say "I do", you could either change your mind.  You shouldn't claim to be married until you actually are. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • jed15jed15 member
    First Comment
    I don't think it's inappropriate or bad luck- we ordered these invites in yellow with our monogram on it- I didn't think twice about it! Monogrammed invites are very popular these days. Do whatever you want- it's YOUR wedding, not the other girl's in the knot's.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Jed15: you might not want to use your email address as your username. Its not particularily internet safe.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_early-monogram?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:83d670e8-e5de-4e6b-b0d0-f2f53fd9332bPost:6c25a16b-615e-452b-af2a-c5a14fd63da0">Re: too early for monogram?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's inappropriate or bad luck- we ordered these invites in yellow with our monogram on it- I didn't think twice about it! Monogrammed invites are very popular these days. Do whatever you want- it's YOUR wedding, not the other girl's in the knot's.
    Posted by [email protected][/QUOTE]

That's wonderful for you that YOU don't find it inappropriate or bad luck.  However, it is inappropriate, and many people do find it to be bad luck.  Most likely, some of your guests will fall into one of those categories.  So, just be aware of that.

Also - while it's wonderful to share your opinion, please understand that most people are looking for "the letter of the law" on etiquette rules to be sure that they don't offend anyone or make a misstep.  If you choose to break a rule I'm not going to show up and yell at you.  But please don't encourage others to join you.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards