Mr. and Mrs. First Last

Saturday, the twenty fourth of September

two thousand eleven

at two o’clock in the afternoon

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist

address

Thank you!!!

Re: Proof Please!

•  - unless your last name is different from your parents, only your first and middle go on the invitation in the format you're using

- if you use middle names for you and FI, use middle names for your parents as well

- I think there should be a hyphen in twenty-fourth

- it's two thousand and eleven (math rules don't apply since it's social correspondence)

- I would spell out "Saint" in the church name since your invite is formal, but that's up to both you and your church. Also, you don't need the church's street address unless there is another cathedral by the same name in the city. If not, just put the city and state, spelled out.
  • I agree with pp, except that we used our middle names but not our parents on our invite.  Not sure if that's proper or not now that I think about it
  • From what I've seen you don't have to use your parents middle names.  I'm doing mine with our middle names but not our parents.  My wording is a little more casual though.  I think it's be your choice.  
  • The groom gets the title "Mr" on a formal invitation.

two thousand and eleven is correct here.  It's lousy math but correct etiquette
  • With the structure you're using, there's typically no last name for the bride or the groom since both parents' names are right there (though personally I don't have any problem with using last for both).

As to other comments, I know you can find books that will say the groom gets Mr. and the bride gets no title, but I've never actually seen that on an invitation. Same with middle names for parents -- I've never seen it in real life.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proof-please-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e18f06e-327b-42e6-b818-1c4207dbf8b5Post:9df411fc-4e92-45df-8fca-a696d4904f11">Re: Proof Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]With the structure you're using, there's typically no last name for the bride or the groom since both parents' names are right there (though personally I don't have any problem with using last for both). <strong>As to other comments, I know you can find books that will say the groom gets Mr. and the bride gets no title, but I've never actually seen that on an invitation. Same with middle names for parents -- I've never seen it in real life.</strong>
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

<div>Really? That's crazy - I've never seen it any other way! I've also never received an invitation with a "son of" line- those were so weird to me when I came on the knot. The ones I've received with the groom's parents on them have them both at the top as hosting together. </div>
  • Geaux, it's always interesting to me to read about differences throughout the country and differences based on religion, socio-economic class, general style, etc.

Jewish invitations in the Northeast have used "son of" for decades so that's what I'm accustomed to. But I also have many friends who aren't Jewish. Because I was totally procrastinating on a work project earlier today, I took a look at invitations I've received through the years -- literally not one middle name for parents or a Mr. in the group, and these come from a fairly wide range -- Philly, NYC, and central PA, Jewish, interfaith, non-religious, and various Christian denominations, various people hosting, "cheap" weddings to upper end.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proof-please-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e18f06e-327b-42e6-b818-1c4207dbf8b5Post:424c1afe-e509-498c-8d77-62b4995fca30">Re: Proof Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Geaux, it's always interesting to me to read about differences throughout the country and differences based on religion, socio-economic class, general style, etc. Jewish invitations in the Northeast have used "son of" for decades so that's what I'm accustomed to. But I also have many friends who aren't Jewish. Because I was totally procrastinating on a work project earlier today, I took a look at invitations I've received through the years -- literally not one middle name for parents or a Mr. in the group, and these come from a fairly wide range -- Philly, NYC, and central PA, Jewish, interfaith, non-religious, and various Christian denominations, various people hosting, "cheap" weddings to upper end.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]
    You save wedding invitations?
  • Yeah, I'm a freak. Tongue out I guess I originally started to save them for "sentimental" reasons back in the '80s and I've just continued to do it. I swear I'm not a hoarder (!), but I have a really hard time getting rid of invitations, thank yous, even birthday cards though I now force myself to do that.
  • I save them too- but only the ones of people I'm super close to or ones I just particularly liked. My mom always has, I guess I get it from her. It's actually been great to have as I'm picking out my own. Tenofcups, I love hearing about the differences as well. I come from the deep south, and you could pretty much still live by the 1970 Amy Vanderbilt and function around here. I don't know if it's the region or just my hometown/social circle though. In the last two years, I have seen only 1 invitation that wasn't issued by the bride's parents, and I've never seen one issued by the couple on their own. "Fun" colored invitations are rare too. I think that things I see in magazines are so pretty and different, but at the same time I can't imagine not doing the traditional black ink on ecru.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards