Wedding Invitations & Paper

are outer envelopes required here??

Is the outer red envelope (in this image) required??  Couldn't I just seal the blue pocket to keep all the inserts in?

I'm trying to save every little cent because both and my FI are unemployed. Might have to wait until we get a job to get married.

Re: are outer envelopes required here??

• I don't think it will work.  You have enclosure cards and envelopes that could fall out if you treat the blue enclosure card as an envelope.  And if the blue enclosure card is sealed, you're essentially ruining the effect.

I'd keep looking for an invitation that's more in your price range if you really want to save money.  Even DIY kits are quite affordable at places like AC Moore and Michael's.
  • If you have a limited budget, I"d skip the pocketfold altogether and just have stacked invitations.  Maybe a belly band to hold all of the inserts together.  But pocketfolds are a lot of time and money, and they are often heavy enough to increase postage.
  • I agree with above.  I don't think that folder will meet USPS requirements for mailing and there are much cheaper ways to DIY your invites.  Mine are not nearly that price per invite.  I'm doing print your own, stacked invites. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was going to just have the stacked invites, but I thought the pocket was a nice organizational touch.  The other thing I was thinking about was sort of a DIY version of these....http://www.invitationsbydawn.com/We_ViewEns.cfm?sItemCode=WedEns8168&sCatalogCode=WedEnsDD&iStartRow=1&format=WedEnsDDa&lCriteria=247&strcontinue=yes&strsearch=yes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_outer-envelopes-required-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:958310a0-202e-4569-ab77-68a80029d208Post:c96ac108-1aed-4853-9628-5eb88698b132">Re: are outer envelopes required here??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a limited budget, I"d skip the pocketfold altogether and just have stacked invitations.  Maybe a belly band to hold all of the inserts together.  But pocketfolds are a lot of time and money, and they are often heavy enough to increase postage.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I'm very budget conscious (unemployed for almost a year, so I feel your pain) and this is an area where I'm keeping it very simple ... flat invitation and response postcard in a single envelope ... and that's it. 

Good luck!
  • Yeah, I like the idea of the different cards for the reception, hotel, and directions, but almost everyone who's coming lives in this area, and those who don't grew up in this area, so they're all pretty familiar with hotels. The reception will most likely be at the same location as the ceremony, so that's not needed. The directions might be needed, but I could put another card in for directions.

Thanks everyone.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_outer-envelopes-required-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:958310a0-202e-4569-ab77-68a80029d208Post:c96ac108-1aed-4853-9628-5eb88698b132">Re: are outer envelopes required here??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a limited budget, I"d skip the pocketfold altogether and just have stacked invitations.  Maybe a belly band to hold all of the inserts together.  But pocketfolds are a lot of time and money, and they are often heavy enough to increase postage.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

THIS!  We're on a budget, so I printed and cut all of my own invites and inserts and just used a single envelope to mail them.  And they turned out great, IMO. 

We were able to make and mail them for just over a dollar a piece.

ETA:  My only inserts were a photo sharing card, a simple directions map, and the RSVP post card.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards