Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Bridesmaids dresses

Are any of you (or did any of you if you're already married) considering not making your girls all wear the same dress? I'm totally considering this! As long as they're the same color, I really don't care. I have all different body types in my BP, and what looks good on one girl, may not look good on another. And I want them to be comfortable and not hating me for picking a dress they're not comfortable in! Thoughts?

Re: Bridesmaids dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, my girls wore different dresses from the same designer.  PIB!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup - I've been in wedding like this and did it for mine. It is a great idea. I jsut told my BMs to wear brown, full length dresses from the same designer (to control the color shade differences). Pics are in my bio if you wanna see. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a great idea.  They'll love you for it, I'm sure! My bridesmaids ended up in the same dress but not from a bridal store.  We decided to skip the traditional bridesmaids dresses all together.
  • Options
    Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I gave mine a designer, a color, and asked they all do tea-length.  And they picked out their own dress.  They also did different shoes, jewelry and hair.[url]http://www.proofpositiveproofing.com/media/printscharming/IMG_8360_PCD2008.JPG[/url]
  • Options
    dvanskydvansky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! You are all further confirming my stance on the matter :)
  • Options
    missizzmissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that this is actually so common now and is 100% normal for you to do!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BMs were in separates. They all had the same tea length skirt, but were able to choose whatever top they wanted. 4 ended up in the same top, but it was their choice. PIB.
  • Options
    snorgesnorge member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I think a lot of people do this. We actually asked our BMs just to wear a black dress that they like--something new, or from their closet, or whatever. I don't care about length, style, etc., and picked black because we felt it was what they'd be most likely to have already, or to wear again. My MOH is wearing a dress she wore in a different wedding; FSIL bought a new dress from Alfred Angelo; another BM found a cute dress for cheap at JC Penney, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I had a do-over, I would do what Snorge described.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    dvanskydvansky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are all very wise!
  • Options
    AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girls all wore the same exact dress, but I really like the look of different dresses.  If I were to do it all over again, I would have let them pick their own.
  • Options
    Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love what Snorge described, but it, unfortunately, really only works for black.  Unless you are okay with them being in all different shades of one color.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did exactly what Snorge suggested. I did black as well. Easy-peasy for me! All my girls chose floor length. They all looked really nice, IMO, and really coordinated. I let my MOH pick her dress first and then told everyone else that it was floor-length, so they all chose to go with floor length as well. (It was winter, though).My cousin did "any blue dress" and it actually looked really nice with the different shades. She has a very casual wedding, however, but it suited her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the look of same color, different dresses.  I was going to do this, but then my 3 bridesmaids all liked a cute summer dress from Anthropologie that was on super sale!Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Late to this, but I am having my BMs in different dresses and different colors.  I created a color palette of cool jewel tones, and each girl picked her favorite among them (luckily this worked out with no drama!).  They will be choosing their own dress within a few guidelines- at the knee or slightly above, sleeveless, and silk.  PIB of the look I'm going for!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of having the girls pick their own dress, or at least their own style. I didn't do this, but I wish I did. I could tell some of the girls didn't love the fit, but didn't want to tell me no!  The girls did whatever they wanted with straps though. Some wore them, some wore it strapless. I was in a wedding where the bride did what Shannon did - we all had the same bottom but were able to pick our own top. This helped because all of the girls had different sized busts, so we could pick what felt most comfortable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I let my BMs pick out there own black dress and there shoes. They both have different body types so it worked out well. Plus the black dress can be worn again.
    ME:44 MH:42 DE IVF 2013
    image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I know I am really late to this convo but I just got done with picking bridesmaid attire.  I choose Wtoo bridesmaid dresses in knee/tea length in a navy blue-like color (called indigo) in chiffon fabric.  They all then choose the exact style they wanted.  They are all being ordered from the same place so they will all be from the same dye lot.  I think it worked out well.  It just took me some time to figure out the designer with the best options but has been easy from that point on.  HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards