Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Wedding ideas

Hi! Anyone getting married or had a reception at the PAA?  Curious to know how you decorated since the room is beautiful in itself.  Any florist recommendations?  I met with one and received an estimate but wouldn't provide a list of flowers until after payment.  Is this typically how it goes?

Re: Wedding ideas

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    snorge is having her reception at the PAA in 2 wks, i believe. try paging her, she should be back during the week.as for the florist-i would say that is not typical. or maybe i'm just misunderstanding what you're saying. i take it to mean that the florist you met with will not let you choose the flowers you requested until after you paid them. if i'm right (which, sounds like a weird thing for a florist to do), then no, not typical. but i'm hoping i have misunderstood. who was the florist? i met with sherri of bettis floral (which i don't recommend) and then with kerry of ks kennedy floral, whom i booked. kerry had a bridal bouquet made up and waiting for me to see when i showed up to talk with him, and he has fielded every single one of my annoying emails (with kindness!). he knows what i want and where he has creative design freedom. i heart him.good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds weird. My florist wouldn't start talking actual flowers until she received a deposit, which is fairly standard, but there was no way that she could have charged me without knowing what flowers she was using. The choice of flowers has a HUGE impact on the price.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hm, maybe i'm still confused. S-what do you mean she wouldn't talk actual flowers with you until she received a deposit?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She showed us examples of her previous work and provided us with an estimate (which was very wide since she didn't know what types of flowers we would use), but we didn't have a full meeting with her discussing colors and types of flowers until after we paid our deposit. At that point she was able to narrow in our estimate. I ended up going way over anyways since we had less guests than planned and I chose to put that extra money into our flowers since her work was sooooooo beautiful.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh ok, i gotcha. i didn't run in to that procedure myself. both of the florists i met with discussed in length with me about what flowers we wanted, so i just figured this was normal. your flowers did turn out gorgeous too, S.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Jennybean.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In my first meeting with my florist, we talked very specifically about budget and types of flowers. Like Shannon said, the types of flowers is going to make a huge difference in price so I also don't understand how you could pay for something without knowing what kinds of flowers, unless they are just charging one standard rate in which case you are probably getting ripped off.I am using Bob at Blumengarten and he has been so great to work with. I 2nd JB's comment of not recommending Bettis Floral.

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there,  I think it's a little odd.  Both florists I met with discussed types of flowers, how many of everything I would need, wrote up an estimate, and let me look at it.  I was NOT allowed to take the actual estimate with me until I made a deposit, but everything was written down as to what flowers I would like and how much they woudl cost.  I met with both McCandless Floral and KS Kennedy.  They were both great, but I liked Kerry's passion and creativity about his work.  So, like Jennybean, I went with Kerry Kennedy!HTH!  I highly recommend him!  As she said, he answers all my e-mails and phone calls, even if they are stupid:-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol oh he totally does! and he signs them with "xoxoxo" which makes me smile every.single.time.!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I met with a florist penn avenue and we discussed options and colors that i liked but, i didn't walk away knowing that we are definitely creating a certain type of arrangement. I was e-mailed an estimate for my bouquet and bride and groom parties and high and low centerpieces.  At the botom of the estimate it said once they receive the deposit then they provide the list that we discussed.  I don't get how your supossed to compare prices with other florists if that's how it goes.  I also met with Sherri from Bettis.  What's your reason for not recommending her? 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ummm, well, there were a couple of reasons, lets see..she was really nice in the consultation, but she kept telling me "no" when i told her what i wanted, and that bothered me. i asked for black magic roses for myself, white roses for my girls. by the time i left she had insisted that instead we do charlotte roses and white hydrangeas for the girls. i didn't like that she wouldn't do what i wanted, but had no good reason as to why i shouldn't/couldn't go with what i wanted, other than the fact that it was her opinion.at the consultation she talked about our 2nd meeting to see what she had put together for me, but never mentioned that she required a deposit for that mtg. i convinced her to do the mtg without the deposit..i was annoyed she hadn't mentioned that upfront. during the 2nd meeting she was very pushy. she kept saying "you're gonna give me a deposit, right?" "you want to work with me, right?" and we were discontent because she had eaten up our entire budget, when we had asked her to try to not do that. she also kept throwing my mom's desire for chair covers under the bus, telling us that we should be spending the money on flowers not on covers. i kept telling her that we had to talk it over with my father first (the budget and what her new estimate was) and she just did not like that response. we had asked to do tall and short CP's. we had discussed both concepts at the initial mtg. at the 2nd mtg she showed us the high CP that we had discussed, but not the short. instead of showing us what we talked about, she made something new, which i loved. except the price of the new CP turned out to be loads more than what we had discussed (which had been candles and floating flowers). i know she was trying to help, but she knew our budget and showed me something that ultimately i couldn't have. i felt like she was doing just what i had feared she would: make us overspend on the flowers. she used to do the flowers for a venue in carnegie, but the cut ties with her. she was no longer providing the venue with budget friendly options, like they wanted her to. she does GREAT work, but she is pricey.after the 2nd mtg she also tried to become my friend on facebook (i denied), then followed me around at a bridal show. she wouldn't talk to me, but would show up at every booth i would stop at. seriously-every booth. 2 days after the bridal show she emailed me to ask if i was booking with her (it had been MONTHS since i had last spoken with her).sorry for the wall of text and then some. this is why the girls roll their eyes at me. i do not know the definition of brevity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh geez!  Well she told me at first meeting she didn't like my dress and to get a new one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards