Wedding Invitations & Paper

HELP!! I need advice on wording for invitation

Hi everyone,
I am in kind of a sticky sitation.  So my mom and Step-father are hosting the reception.  My real father hasn't exactly been the ideal father and pretty much checked out when I told him that I wanted my step father to walk me down the aisle and dance with me in the traditional father/daughter dance.  It just felt like the right thing to do as my stepfather has been the father figure in my life.  Well when i told my real fatherthis, he told me to have a good life and will not be at the wedding.

We are still inviting him to the wedding and I hope he does go.  This is where the problem arises is with the Invitation wording.  I want to put on the invitation the following (ignore names and details):

Together with their parents
Jane Doe
and
John Smith
request the honour of your presence
at their marriage
on Sunday, the fourth of October
two thousand fourteen
at six o'clock in the evening
Mount Zion Church
11890 Leaf Avenue
Chicago, Illinois

My mother wants:

Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Durand
at the marriage of their daughter
Sophie Lynn
to
Jeffrey Matthew
son of
Mr. and Mrs. Michael Lautrec
Saturday, the eighth of March
two thousand fourteen
at two o'clock in the afternoon
Fox Green Country Club
2621 Hunter Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia

I just want to find the right words to use, saying that my parents are hosting the wedding without trying to hurt my real fathers feelings by throwing the word daughter in there (this I know will cause an uproar).  Drama is something I am trying to avoid at all costs, as there has been enough of it thus far with my families.  Does anyone have any suggestions?? 

Re: HELP!! I need advice on wording for invitation

• it seems like either way you are going ot hurt some one's feelings. i would do what you want most, together with their families.

since your parents are hosting, i would include them on the invite but that is going to hurt your dad's feeligns.. IMO, he's already made his choice and hurting his feelings has already happened.. if i were in your situation i'd put my mom and stepfather's name on the invite.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Your mom has been there for you.  Your stepdad has been there for you.  They are throwing the wedding.  Honor them!  
    Don't let this spoil the joy..!

• Why not
    Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Durand
    and Mr. PissyDad
    at the marriage of their daughter...

Are you thinking of excluding your dad's name because he isn't contributing financially? or beacuse he is being a jerk?

Why do you want the "together with their parents?"

• Thank you everyone for the advice and helping me see the right thing to do.  I am going to exclude my real father and honor my mom and step-father, the ones that have truly been there for me and not worry about hurting my real fathers feelings.  Can't be a people pleaser all the time, someones going to get hurt in this situation, just have to make the right choice on who and deal with it!

• We are doing the "together with their families" for several reasons (FI's mom is deceased, stepparents involved, my grandfather is contributing alot to the wedding, etc).  Just do what feels right to you!
  • Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Durand
    at the marriage of her daughter

Sophie Lynn Lastname
    to
    Jeffrey Matthew Lastname

son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Lautrec
    Saturday, the eighth of March
    two thousand fourteen
    at two o'clock in the afternoon
    Fox Green Country Club
    2621 Hunter Avenue
    Atlanta, Georgia

Technically, it should be "at the marriage of HER daughter" not "THEIR" daughter.  That shows your step-dad as a host, but not as your father.  Would that placate your actual father?

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I like the together with their parents wording.  Everyone will know who it is when he walks you down the isle and dances with you...right?  And it isn't so "in  your face" to your blood father. 
    So Happily Married to the Love of my Life! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We just left "hosting" names off altogether.  

Jane Doe
    and
    James Smith
    request the pleasure of your company........

You could write a simple not into your programs thanking your mom/stepdad/dad for their contribution to your life.  Make their influence very special by singling each out for recognition.  Thanks Mom and John for all of your help and advice as we prepared for our wedding day and our lives together.....  Maybe something nice to say to Dad, too?
  • MyLoverly, your wording implies that you two are hosting.  If you wantt o leave off hosting names then the wording would be,

"The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards