Wedding Invitations & Paper

Cheap calligraphy options?

Hi all - 

I'm on a budget but have been told I have to have calligraphy done for addressing the envelopes on my invites. the cheapest I've seen is 99 cents per invite but we're inviting about $300 people and am looking for ways to keep the cost down. Does anyone know of cheaper alternatives or even websites that do computer printed calligraphy that might still be acceptable? 

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Cheap calligraphy options?

• You don't have to do calligraphy for your wedding invitations. We didn't, we just hand addressed them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Find a friend with nice handwriting?
    I am not doing calligraphy! It's way too costly.
    Find someone with nice handwriting or find a font online and download it to print on your envelopes/make nice labels.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you have been told you have to have calligraphy for your invites then give the bill to the person who is making you do this. People throw away envelopes!
  • Print your envelopes through your own printer in a very light grey.  Then trace over with a calligraphy marker.  You get calligraphy, but not the bill.
  • Just handwrite them or use those cute wraparound labels.  No one says you have to use calligraphy.
  • I'm curious who told you that you "need" calligraphy? Personally, I love it and think it's worth the money. But if you don't want to hire someone, you can handwrite them (I generally find that looks cheap, but it's accepted etiquette).

I also see people printing on the envelope in a calligraphy font, which I think is a good middle ground between professional calligraphy and handwriting. (FWIW, that's not considered "acceptable" etiquette, but I'd be comfortable breaking that rule.)

I generally can't tell the difference between printed calligraphy and real calligraphy at a glance; I have to really inspect the envelope to see which it is and I imagine most people don't bother to look that closely.

I think it's super-silly to print and then go over it yourself--what a waste of time.
  • Yeah, you don't "need" to hire a calligrapher.  Either handwrite them yourself, or print your addresses in a calligraphy font directly onto the envelope with your at home printer.  I did this, and they turned out beautifully.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks SO much for your thoughts ladies. I feel much better about this. My mom actually has beautiful handwriting so I've just enlisted her as my official envelope addresser : ) 

I think calligraphy is beautiful and it would be nice but I've got to cut costs somewhere. Thanks again! 
    Anniversary
  • I used a local lady who does digital calligraphy.  She actually has a few styles that were actual ink dipped calligraphy and then digitized for the computer.  It looks real and only costs $.50 an envelope.
  • calligraphybymerritt.webs.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards