Wedding Invitations & Paper

Inviting rowdy kids?

So... my FI and I definitely do not want to have a kid-free wedding.  We love the joy of children on the dance floor and have many younger relatives we'd like to see at our wedding.

The problem is, I have two cousins whose kids are out of control.  Five out of the six children were "surprises" and their mothers don't really care to raise, discipline or watch their children.  At our family Christmas parties, the parents always sit around looking tired and forlorn, while their kids run amok and destroy the house.  Kids will be kids, but our last Christmas party ended with pee and juice all over the floor, chocolate on the furniture and toy cars littering the hallways.

I heard an idea of having a "kids table" without a centerpiece, nice linens, etc -- just covering the table with butcher paper and giving the kids a bunch of crayons to let them get out their energy.  I thought this was a good idea at first, but my FI pointed out that THESE kids would be screaming while they scribble and would likely run to nearby tables and start coloring on the tablecloths and chair covers.  (Their parents would not stop them).  Also, it wouldn't be fair not to offer the same set up to the more well-behaved kids at our wedding, but then again, he didn't feel it would be fair to make all the parents sit at a kids table.

I would like to just "not invite" these crazy kids, but I can't very well do that while still inviting all my other cousins' kids... and my FI will be inviting children on his side of the family, too.  (All the other kids in our families are reasonably well-behaved, and I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are just NORMAL kids instead of screaming banshees.)  I feel like even if I politely recommend that their mothers leave them home if they think the kids will get wild, my cousins will probably just feel dejected and will bring them anyway because it's cheaper not to hire a babysitter.  I'm really stuck on this one.   HELP! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Inviting rowdy kids?

• Can you talk to the reception venue to see what options there are for the children?

I'm totally sympathetic.  DH and I wanted children at our wedding but one of his cousins has just two children who are not well behaved.  We knew they wouldn't make the trip from FL to CT so we were fine but had they attended, I could have left the reception in a multicolored dress.

The other idea is to also talk to the reception and see if they can put measures in place so that other people are responsible for telling the parents that the behavior of their children won't be tolerated.  It's one thing when a restaurant doesn't want to irritate one table of unruly customers but YOU are the customer that day so they should help you try to maintain order.  Perhaps that's something you can talk to them about as well.
  • Thanks -- I like your idea that maybe the venue staff could be the ones to tell them to take it down a notch.  I sure hope everything works out all right!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just see what they can do.  You're not the first person with rowdy kids in the family and I'm sure they won't be the first rowdy kids to set foot in your venue.
  • hanson please let me know what you did and what might work....same boat as you

we don't want to do a kid free wedding since the fi only has 3 little ones (well behaved) and one side of my family is well behaved and only on side has monster kids...I think I got flammed before for mentioning it - but the 8 year old SHOULD know better than to grab the wedding cake (before bride and groom saw it) and mom dismissed it as funny...

we nixed the chocolate fountain, going to have some activity bags....and ask some people to watch out...

...maybe if need be some of the venue people could say something to the parents so it's not like any friends or family are causing a stir?
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards