Wedding Invitations & Paper

I NEED HELP ADDRESSING AN INVITATION

We're having a big wedding, and we've done everything we could to keep the guest count down.  For the invitations, we're not including an envelope to hold the invitation...just one for the response card, and one to hold everything together.  Im just not sure how to either address the envelope or the response card to indicate the amount of people invited.

for example, we might be inviting our parents' friends...but not their kids...if i just put Mr & mrs on the front envelope, is that sufficient enough? What if its for a family?  It would seem a little unnecessary to address the fromt with everyone's names.

one solution i came up with though it might be a little more tidious:
___/ 4  accepts with pleasure
___/ 4 declines with regret

Does that look tacky? any suggestions or help
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I NEED HELP ADDRESSING AN INVITATION

• you address it to who is invited. if you're inviting john and jane, you address it to mr. and mrs. john smith. if it's to everyone in the family then it's mr. and mrs john smith and family. 

you can list out each individual person on the rsvp to make it explicitly clear, but that can be time consuming. you can also say something like "2 seats have been reserved in your honor" so it's clear how many people are invited. 

people are still going to add guests and you will have to deal with it, it's just inevitable. 
  • We didn't have inner enevelopes either.  One the outer envelopes we addresses them as Mr. & Mrs. John Smith if its was just the couple.  If it was a couple with only 1 kid we wrote Mr. & Mrs. John Smith and Sarah.  If there was more than 1 kid we wrote Mr. & Mrs. John Smith and family.

I have seen several people on here say that they put things such as 2 seats have been reserved in your honor, or ___/4 will attend.  For us though honestly we had 136 invites sent out, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of printing those separately for each person. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the great responses...ill try then out and see which i like better=)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think __/4 is particularly clear.  4 seats have been reserved in your honor is much clearer.
    Married 10/2/10
  • I also read something today that will make doing my invitations a little easier.  Instead of writing Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and family...if the whole family is invited...you can properly address it to The John Smith Family.  Shorter and easier to write...esp for someone with big handwriting like I have!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_need-addressing-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:cf0b9ab9-c202-4f5f-b9d6-779fe7d90627Post:9dafc840-a7d0-4779-97d1-1316583c912d">Re: I NEED HELP ADDRESSING AN INVITATION</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also read something today that will make doing my invitations a little easier.  Instead of writing Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and family...if the whole family is invited...you can properly address it to The John Smith Family.  Shorter and easier to write...esp for someone with big handwriting like I have!
    Posted by kellykevinendicott[/QUOTE]
    Except there will always be those people who think that Great Aunt Myrtle is part of the John Smith family, so it makes the issue of potentially unwanted guests far worse, not better.

If you don't want to deal with addressing so many invitations, hire a calligrapher or don't invite so many people.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Ditto Aerin.

You need to be specific on the envelopes with who you are inviting.

That means that if you're inviting a couple and their two children, write out the names of the children on the envelope.  That's the only appropriate way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards