Wedding Invitations & Paper

Extra postage for bow?

Does anyone know if having a bow on an invitation makes it require extra postage?  If so, how much extra?  By weight my invites should be $0.61 (letting me use the pretty wedding cake stamps!), but they came with ribbon that I woudl like to use.  I can either just tie a knot or tie a bow, but I don't want to pay a lot extra for it.  Is there any way to attach it that doesn't cost extra?

Thanks! 

Re: Extra postage for bow?

• It really depends on how it is tied and how it affects the thickness. Take it to two different post offices and ask them to be sure. They have this card thing with a hole- if it passes through, it's not extra postage. If it doesn't, it is considered first class and will cost more.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • I just brought mine in to check on this same thing yesterday. With my thin (1/4 inch or so) ribbon tied in a tight knot, it wasn't anything extra. So depending on the thickness of the ribbon, it might or might not be extra (20 cents I heard).

If your knot or bow is extra, you could also make it a belly band-- just put a piece of double sided tape on one end and secure them in the back.

I see you are in Boston-- I brought mine into the post office in Copley. Not terribly friendly but they did slide it through the little card to make sure it wasn't too thick.
  • Thanks for the advice guys!  I took it to the PO and it was too thick, so 20 cents extra.  I like the bow on the invites so I think I'll just pay it.  I'm sad though because I watned to use the pretty wedding cake stamps and the 10 cent extra stamps are so ugly.  I wish they made an 81 cent wedding stamp... oh well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards