Wedding Invitations & Paper

Parent's names on invite

First off, my fiance and I are taking care of most of the wedding ourselves. His parents are not contributing anything really, except to show up. And my parents (mostly my dad I'm guessing) will be contributing a little.

But my mom was upset when I first mentioned how we're wording our invites.
We're putting something like "Because you have shared in our lives with friendship and love we [names] invite you to witness the beginning of our new life together in a marriage ceremony"
I thought the wording was very sweet when I saw it in an invitation catelog. But my mom wants us to put our parents names.

Our wedding is not going to be traditional by any means. We're getting a justice of the peace to marry us, and everything is taking place in a hotel. So we thought that we would scrap being traditional even with our invites. Is that so wrong?
Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

Re: Parent's names on invite

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    If you're paying most, it's your call.  Does you mom want their names listed as if they're hosting?  Because that's the traditional way......but then traditionally the brides parents pay, so that doesn't seem right.  I know some people add the phrase "together with their families".  Would that be an acceptable compromise?
  • Well she said we should have their names as if they're hosting. But since we're throwing our own wedding for the most part, we'll have to see what we can do about wording.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• If you're paying, do what you want. Though I think the line you're doing is a little cheesy. How about something like "together with our families"? That might placate your mom?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards