Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!

So we are getting married in a hotel and I have decided to take the glass elevator (facing the guests) down from the very top to the ground floor where I will step out and meet my dad and walk down the aisle. I thought this sounded so Grand! The top floor is only like 8 floors up and the hotel is usually dead (small city) but I keep thinking that someone will push the elevator button as I'm descending.. am I being completely paranoid??

I really love the idea of taking the elevator down to make my entrance so special. It wouldn't be horrible if someone pushed the button but embarassing and may ruin the moment.

Thoughts? or is it true that I have sucumb to wedding paranoia?
Thanks!!

Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!

• Options

Realistically, even in a small or not busy hotel, I think it is rude to inconvenience other guests that may want to use the elevator during your grand entrance.  While I get that it is only a few minutes of waiting, I don't see why it is necessary.

• Options
    I think you should ask the hotel about this. They could possibly set that elevator to only go from your floor to the bottom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:e65e7c04-4ed9-4e1d-8c4d-395d5a9de555">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Realistically, even in a small or not busy hotel, I think it is rude to inconvenience other guests that may want to use the elevator during your grand entrance.  While I get that it is only a few minutes of waiting, I don't see why it is necessary.
    Posted by duckie1905[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Wow I was a little taken back by this comment. I didn't for a second think I was being rude by using the elevator. I'm pretty sure any guest wouldn't mind waiting all of 10 seconds for the elevator to come back up, its 8 floors so I'm just going from the top to the bottom which is literally a 10-15 second ride. The reason why its necessary is because in my opinion its a GRAND entrance, not just a boring old come out of the room and walk down the aisle entrance.

Every other time I've been there (3 total now) there hasn't been any guests even visible let alone waiting or wanting to use the elevator so I guess I just settled my own paranoia
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:63b6b571-7486-4dc7-bd6f-75ce442ce6b0">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should ask the hotel about this. They could possibly set that elevator to only go from your floor to the bottom.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will ask them, I doubt they'd want to do any kind of override just for me, but worth asking. Otherwise I suppose I'll chance it and ride down. If someone pushes the button I'm sure when the elevator doors open they'll just smile and wait for it to come back up!
  • Options
    Yeah talk to the hotel. Maybe with a little extra green they'd be willing to help.

Otherwise you could try to station a friend or a guest's older child at each floor to prevent guests from stopping the elevator and they could slip into their seats once you made your enterance. I'm sure someone will think this is rude to ask your friends to do, but I'm not part of the camp that your family and friends should not "work" at the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:63b6b571-7486-4dc7-bd6f-75ce442ce6b0">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should ask the hotel about this. They could possibly set that elevator to only go from your floor to the bottom.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

I would do that first.  If they can't set it to go down just for you, then I would just go ahead and use it and hope that no one on another floor tries to use it too.  If they do, it will just be a funny moment, it won't be terrible or embarrassing or anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:d88d0022-91cb-4963-bf35-cb257f6e1cf7">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP! : I would do that first.  If they can't set it to go down just for you, then I would just go ahead and use it and hope that no one on another floor tries to use it too.  If they do, it will just be a funny moment, it won't be terrible or embarrassing or anything.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Great thank you!! I definately wouldn't want to post anyone at the floors since I want them to be able to watch me walk down the aisle. I'll chance it and remind myself not to stress if someone does push it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:5800650e-d2eb-4fae-b208-f4abde476514">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP! :  The reason why its necessary is because in my opinion its a GRAND entrance, not just a boring old come out of the room and walk down the aisle entrance.
    Posted by nataliem.22@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

Well, good to know that my processional is going to totally suck and be "boring". Thanks.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:ef9e1143-dbef-4fe6-8d05-33587865e778">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP! : Well, good to know that my processional is going to totally suck and be "boring". Thanks.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Thats not at all what I meant and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. In my opinion, at MY wedding given the option to walk out of a room OR come down a glass elevator lit up on the sides is much more of a grand entrance.

I had debated this because of the logistics of getting to the top floor to get on the elevator so I was just going to come out of the "ready" room - but after figuring out how I would do this, the more grand entrance in my opinion is the elevator.

Again this is my opinion for MY wedding, in no way was I insinuating that anyone else coming out of a room and walking down the aisle is boring. I may end up doing this in the end anyway. Simply given the options the more exciting and unique entrance for MY situation was the elevator.
  • Options
    Definitely ask the hotel about the use of the elevator.  Many hotels that have elevators like that don't even put them into use. 
  • Options
    Thank you! Yah thinking more about that, since its only on the one side of the hotel the chances of someone pressing the button I think are very slim. I am just going to take my chances!!

• Options
    Oh my lord.  This should be retitled, "How you know you've gotten too far into your own head in your self-importance"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:5d73055b-c783-4772-a7f1-3e7fd1d190f0">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my lord.  This should be retitled, "How you know you've gotten too far into your own head in your self-importance"
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

How about if you don't have anything helpful to say you don't reply on the post. I am a bride worrying anxiously about every detail for my wedding. Not wanting to be queen of the hotel, I was worried about exclusively using the elevator for all of 10 seconds. Thanks for your completely useless comment.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_grand-entrance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:21455198-428a-4526-950f-4e7acef139aePost:59f4bec7-238f-4331-89bc-bdb2515554a2">Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grand Entrance at Ceremony.. HELP! : How about if you don't have anything helpful to say you don't reply on the post. I am a bride worrying anxiously about every detail for my wedding. Not wanting to be queen of the hotel, I was worried about exclusively using the elevator for all of 10 seconds. Thanks for your completely useless comment.
    Posted by nataliem.22@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

OK, for starters, you need to relax.  If you're going to worry about every little detail of your wedding then you're going to find something to be upset about all the time - and you're quite possibly going to be the type of bride that coins the term "bridezilla."  Stop freaking out about EVERY little detai.  It's just not worth it.  Trust me.

Beyond that, I think you're not seeing the entire picture.  If that elevator is one that's in use by the hotel on a regular basis then you're not being realistic if you think it's only in use for "all of 10 seconds".   At what point would you be upstairs?  How would you know when the procession would start?  Would the elevator be in use prior to or during the procession of everyone but you?  What's the signal to make sure that you're coming down the elevator in sync with the music?  Are you sure that the elevator is working properly? 

Sure it could be very majestic but you need to look at the bigger picture here.  This is hardly just 10 seconds and remember, it's not YOUR elevator to use. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but this image is just cracking me up - it seems a bit ridiculous, even if it were to go off without a hitch.  And, because this is real life, it may very well NOT go off without a hitch. 

I can just picture you, in all your wedding day glory, gliding down majestically until about the 5th floor, where the elevator suddenly stops with a slight jolt, the guests see the doors open behind you and a befuddled couple starting to walk in with their luggage.  
  • Options
    haha.. yes i can picture that perfectly too. I dont think I'm going to be doing this anymore.

Thanks for the laugh :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards