Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Response Cards Question

Ok so I was thinking about the fact that there are going to be people at the wedding who have dietary restrictions (allergies, vegetarians, and so forth).  We are having a brunch with meat stations and there is a vegetarian pasta option.  My big question is how do I word (or do I even open that can of worms) asking for people to notify me in case of their food restrictions?  My worst fear is that someone will be like "I don't like ham, so you shouldn't have it and I want something special" when in reality I am concerned with the people who say "I can't eat ham because I break out in hives, etc".  I was thinking of putting a line like "Please note any dietary restictions on the back of the card" or something like that but I am really afraid that people are going to say "I don't eat ham because I don't like it" and just end up with more headache.  So should I put something at the bottom of the card or just put a note on the wedding website (which some people won't see, etc).  I don't want to have any undue stress over this but I want my guests to be as happy as can be at my reception.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Response Cards Question

• Options
    You are overthinking this.  Most people know that dietary restrictions means things they actually can't eat, and if they list something they just don't like, is it really that big of a deal, since you're having multiple options?  Somebody who doesn't like ham can have a different kind of meat or the vegetarian choice.  If somebody chooses to be obnoxious and list 20 things they don't like, just ignore them and serve what you want.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    Agree with quotequeen.  You have meat option, you have a nonmeat option.  Done and done!
  • Options
    Agreed with the above you have covered your bases as much as you can and people will be just fine.
  • Options
    Agreed.  When you have multiple options like you do then there is no need to mention dietary restrictions.  People who have strict allergies may call the place on their own to ask if they use peanut oil or something that they are allergic too.  And honestly, even if they tell you they have allergies, they would probably call the place anyways to make sure.  Our meal choices are steak, chicken, or salmon, and we didn't mention anything about deitary restrictions or allergies. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It would be nice to ask, but you are right that it could open up a whole 'nother can of worms.

If you aren't going to change your menu either way, then maybe just list common allergens at the buffet stations or on the menu itself.

For example, my nephew is allergic to all nuts and one of my best friends has Celiacs. On the menu card, I'll denote which dishes contains nuts (that are not obvious in the name of the dish) and whether ot nor something has some hidden gluten that she wouldn't otherwise be aware of. Our grooms cake will be clearly labeled as Chocolate with Hazelnut Praline filling, so my nephew (he's 14) will know not to have some.

FWIW, I am allergic to pork, but I just don't eat it. It wouldn't really matter as long as you have something to eat that doesn't contain pork.

Common allergens that might not be apparent from the name of a dish are gluten, nuts, soy, and eggs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was aware of certain restrictions, but who knows with a guest list of 200? I included "Please note any dietary restrictions" on our RSVP card.  We did not get any ridiculous responses but the people with gluten restrictions made those notes.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    Penwater1Penwater1 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I have several people with special dietary needs. They all let me know themselves via phone, email, or the response card; anyone with a serious restriction knows to let people know ahead of time. Your invitations shouldn't read like a restaurant menu, leave the 'government warnings' out.

Ps
      Be sure to pass any info along to your reception hall. They should be able to accommodate your guests at no additional charge. They are preparing special versions of each meal for those with nut allergies once we know what they are ordering.
  • Options
    I put a note like that on our RSVP cards.  Photos in my planning bio.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards