Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Kwynn

Have you ever considered writing a book or giving money seminars for people in their 20s? Certain people at my job could use you. 24, no retirement savins (24 is too young to worry about that), baby on the way, car loans, wedding debt, and looking to buy a 400K house. She could most definitely use your help.

Re: Kwynn

• Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seriously! Might be a good income source for you, kwynn! For me, it's a matter of knowing what I should do, but not actually doing it. I think a lot of other people our age don't even know what they should be doing, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww, you're so sweet! :) LOL, considering everything I know was learned from books/MSN Money, etc, I am pretty sure my whole book would just be plagiarizing of other books! When I'm older, I would feel more qualified to write a book. But I have thought about volunteering to help people get their finances together, like at a community center or something.Hmm, Shannon, could you be talking about your tech? How is she not having panic attacks over her financial situation? I certainly would be in her case. Tell her to put the lines of credit down! Haha...and isn't she talking about maybe quitting and staying home with that baby? Good luck with a 400k mortgage!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    People have no clue!  A lot of youngsters at our pre-cana were asking the most basic questions during the financial seminar.  DH was asking about investing while others were asking about how to create a household budget and balance a checkbook.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dori - that's my problem too.  I mean - I do contribute to 401K, and put money away.  But I know we could be doing a lot more.It would be nice to be able to sit down with someone, go through every aspect of our financial situation, and make a savings plan.  DH and I have tried to do that ourselves, and it helped a little.  But neither of us is great with money.  We're working on it though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristin-how did you guess? I had to get up and leave from my coffee this morning because she was making me so mad. I don't know what planet she is living on, but she's going to crash down to Earth hard pretty soon. I'm not perfect in my finances by any means, but honestly, at least I know where my money is going.
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    C: I love that you just said, "youngsters!" That made me giggle! E: yeah, we get carried away with stuff, then realize we need to tame our spending and get really cheap. Then we get bored with that bc we're doing absolutely nothing and continue to travel that cycle. Our biggest fault is eating out. And MY biggest downfall lately has been clothes. But I keep finding sales and the clothes are just calling my name! lol If I were smart, I'd pick up a 2nd job again to pay down my debt and get my own emergency $1k fund (for car issues, etc). I was so proud of myself, though, because I needed almost $400 in car stuff done, and saved for it instead of putting it on my CC.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree! Kristen, you seem to have lots of knowledge on money situations. So many people seem clueless when it comes to finances, and a little knowledge would help them so much. My 26 year old coworker had no idea what a 401k was until I explained it to him, and said he has absolutely zero savings. I guess I'm lucky that my dad taught me the importance of savings and finances at a young age.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Candice, that is hilarious! If you didn't know how to balance a checkbook or make a budget, why in the world would you ask a question about it? I'd jot it down and go home and look it up!Young people today have it a lot harder than my parents' generation where there were pension plans. It is all on us now (well, government/schools still have pensions, but...) and when you are just starting out, it is so hard to save money on small incomes, big student loans, etc.Dori, working a second job takes a lot out of you though. I did it for years and am so happy to not do it anymore! (Before I was knotting, I worked 6-7 days a week and went to grad school, whew!) As long as you have savings, I wouldn't sweat it too much! :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    D - that's us exactly.  We get really cheap, then get bored and spend way too much.  It's a bad cycle.  We've sat down and done budgeting before - but we can't seem to stick to it. We each have one cc that we are trying to pay off, then we plan to have one for emergencies only.  But we really don't plan to use it (maybe just something like getting gas - then paying it off right away to build credit).  We try to never use them at all anymore while we're trying to pay them off.We're really bad around Christmas because we both love getting people gifts - especially for each other.  We usually set a budget, but we almost always go over.  This year we're really trying to keep it under a certain amount.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were the only ones in our 30's.  :)We definitely eat out too much, but I've been so good with clothes over the past year or two (which is why I look so untrendy.)  I've been packing DH's lunch to save $ and also to get him to eat healthier.Our main problem is we don't have any debt so it's easy to justify spending the money we do have.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, K...we have a savings & I have a savings, but I feel like my CC debt is just so crappy and I need to pay it off before we do any next "big" steps (house or baby) and I want those steps to happen soon! :-) Second jobs really are draining. When I did it to save for the wedding, I was so exhausted all the time. But it really did help a lot & I saved pretty quickly for the wedding. So, I've volunteered to proctor exams for extra money and am trying to do some of the stuff that I read in money-saving blogs instead. It's hard, though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I third the fact that seconds jobs are draining (and third jobs too!). But, they really do allow you to either pay off debt or save pretty quickly. C- same thing at our pre-cana. Once we got in the car to go home, DH and I couldn't stop laughing at the younger couples.
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since we're talking about $$, I have a dumb question that I haven't found the answer to online. Ok, so let's say I have a budget that says I can spend $x on food per pay or per month. Do I need to, then, keep a tally or spreadsheet to keep track of how much I'm spending in that area (and all other areas)? This just seems like SO much work to me. Is there an easier way to determine if you're on track with your budget?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dori - I use Buxfer.com - it allows you to tag all of your expenses into categories.  You can make them as generic or specific as you want (ex: you can do food, or you can split that into groceries and eating out. And you can do multiple tags if you wanna know if it's lunch or dinner or whatever).  You can also place specific budgets on each category and there are options for buxfer to email you when you're close to your limit.  I, unfortunately, don't pay much attention to my budgets I set in place - but it's a really, really easy system to use.  I typically get on here once a day, with our checking accounts, and keep an eye on what's going in and out.  Make sure everything's right. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh - D - btw - once it's all set up, it's less than 5 minutes a day that I spend on there - unless I'm paying bills, then it's a bit more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    D- I have a 200 budget for food each month. I generally have a rough estimate in my head of my tally. I save the receipts and at the end of the month check to make sure it adds up correctly. If I wasn't sure of how much I was spending, I would definitely keep a running tally on a spreadsheet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kwynn, you'll be so proud, I just upped the percentage I contribute to my 401K account.  All this finance talk finally motivated me to log in and do it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, E! I wonder if mint.com can do something similar. I signed up for it again recently, but haven't done much with it since I signed up. Mainly bc I was annoyed I couldn't put my personal PNC account in there...only our joint with another bank is in there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shannon, your system won't work for me...I'm math-challenged AND memory-challenged! LOL
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my, I think we spend too much per month on groceries!  DH goes through a gallon of milk every other day, so that's about $50 a month right there!  I think we need to get a cow.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure.  I started with mint, but I don't like having it take the information directly from my bank account.  Just didn't trust that.  On Buxfer you do everything manually.  But I think what I like about Buxfer that mint can't do - is that I can input a purchase immediately - then mark it as pending and wait for it to come out of our checking account and mark it as cleared.That way I know how much is in the account that is actually available to spend, even if it's not technically taken from it yet.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    C - I know we spend way too much on groceries.  I want to keep it at $75/week, but we almost always end up closer to $100.  I hate that we spend that much for only 2 of us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    D- my system doesn't work for DH either, which is why we still have two separate accounts ontop of our joint bill paying account that I manage.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    C- if DH didn't travel so much we would spend more. Often I'm the only one eating in the house except for weekends.
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's great to hear how everyone else handles their finances.  I need all of the advice I can get.  I'm still trying to get all of our money combined in our joint account.  I have absolutely no idea how much we make or spend each month, and it is driving me crazy!.  Especially since we pretty much just make enough to pay the bills right now since I'm a student and DH is working part time.  Why is it that I can go to school, work and intern and somehow found the time to change my name and transfer all of my money and bills, yet DH still can't get this done!  Grrr
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Candice - hahaha!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That makes sense S.  I know we can do better though.  I don't use coupons often enough.  I can't wait to have more space to stock up on staple foods when they go on sale.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At least I'm not the only "challenged" one, then, Shannon! Erica, I actually like how mint.com pulls the info in case I forget to get a receipt (maybe I'm naive but I trust their security measures), but I'd like to be able to add pending transactions, too. I tried using Quicken before, but it seemed soooo complicated to me. Plus, I didn't like having to DL it onto DH's work computer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Woot on upping the 401k contributions! :) My DH had to decrease his because we were over fed limits for 2009, but we raise the contribution come January.There's a couple different ways to track money. We use a free program called GnuCash. My DH does the tracking on that and he gets really detailed. (For example, we have groceries and household supplies split. Under household supplies, he splits it into Household Goods and Household Supplies. A good would be a mop and a supply would be floor cleaner, for example. We also have personal hygiene, etc)But generally, we put every single thing we can on a credit card for the points and for the ease of accounting. Then, we pay the card off in full each month. An easy way to do grocery shopping is to make out your typical list and go shopping at one store (say Walmart). Then do it again two weeks later and go shopping at another store (Aldi's). After a few weeks, compare all of your receipts. You should see which store is consistently cheaper and shop there for almost everything. For us, Walmart is so much cheaper. We shop at the warehouse club for a few things and Aldi's for a few things. Our food is definitely under $200/month including personal hygiene and the few cleaning supplies we buy. (And we eat here 99% of the time, I bake all of our bread from scratch, make our own pizza dough, etc).
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, K! I've been doing that grocerygame.com thing, but never really compared it to how we'd do with shopping at Aldi and/or Walmart & Sam's club. I'll have to try a few options & see how we do. I really want & need to start cooking more meals at home, but between all the running around I've been doing and DH's pickyness, that's why we've been eating on the run so much.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards