May 2012 Weddings

(Rant)Having trouble finding florist that will do a May 12 wedding

I live in a small town in Kentucky, and we only have a few floral shops. So today since the finance and both had the day off, we decided to hit up the shops and start trying to find a one to book. The first shop I go to tells me they don't do weddings at all in the month of May because of Memorial Day and Mothers Day. They said they were too busy and didn't feel they could give the bride enough attention. She was nice, I just thought it was odd considering I am asking 6 months in advance? I just assumed they would take orders on a first come first served basis? So I was a little discouraged but figured I would have better luck at another shop. The next shop I went to was worse. The lady was very rude and acted annoyed that I was wanting to speak about a wedding in the first place. She asked when the wedding was, and I said May, which brought on a sigh and then a lecture about how busy the month of May is for them. She asked the date, and when I said the 12th, I pretty much was laughed at because that is Mothers Day Weekend, which I honestly didn't know fell the same weeked as my wedding. Her exact words were, "Have you already ordered your invitiations? Because your not going to find a florist that will do your flowers on that weekend." I thought that was incredibly rude to say. She acted like I was just stupid for even asking that of them. I left the shop and burst into tears. 
There was one more shop I had tried earlier, but their designer was out for the week having surgery, so they had asked if I could come back next week when he would be there. So I called them back and explained that I just realized the day fell on Mothers Day weekend, and explained how the other shop had treated me, and the fact that the first shop didn't even do May weddings. She was suprised that I had been completely turned down by the other shop. She told me she would not turn away a customer just because it is a busy season, and they would work with me any way they could to make sure I got what I needed. She said she understood that it was a busy time of the year for florists, what with Prom, Mothers Day, and Memorial Day, but she would never turn someone away for a wedding because of that.
I was just wondering if any other May brides had ran into any similar problems finding a florist? I had heard to expect to pay more near holidays, and order early, but a florist flat out refusing you six months in advance?
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers Tina's shelf:
Tina Smith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards