May 2012 Weddings

Need opinions on Dad's wear! (PIPs and Poll!)

Over the weekend we picked out the tux that the wedding party will wear. It's simple and black with a white shirt. My dress is a in-between ivory and white so we decided to go with a diamond white vest and tie for FI.

The girls dresses are in a maroon/wine color so that's what color I went with for the GMs.

The usher is in the same color but to be a little different, I just changed the tie.

HERE'S MY QUESTION!!!

The wedding consultant suggested the dad's be in a black vest and tie (so it doesn't get too busy in my pictures). I am not afraid of color nor did I want the dad's in the same color. I dont know why but just thought that wasn't normal.

SOOOO... 

Do I go with the Dad's in the charcoal vest and tie?? (which will look nice with both mom's)

OR

My dad in a black vest and the same color tie as my mom's dress (Violet) and FI's dad in a black vest and the same color tie as FI's mom's dress (Silver)??

OR

My dad in a violet vest and tie to match my mom's dress and FI's dad in a silver vest tie to match FI's mom's dress??

If you made it this far - TIA!!!

Re: Need opinions on Dad's wear! (PIPs and Poll!)

• mandydc0509mandydc0509 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My dad is wearing black and white b/c that's the tux he owns, but I was planning to leave that up to him anyway. I don't see why the dads can't wear the same thing?  I vote charcoal for simplicity, but I think they should have a say. They may not like the color their wife is wearing lol.
    Anniversary
  • The dad's in my opinion aren't supposed to stand out. I think black and white is classic and goes with anything. They will blend in yet stand out from the other guys.
  • Maybe I'm weird, but unless the vest is the same material as the tux (i.e. wool), you should keep the vest and ties the same color...now what color that is I have no idea what to tell you! lol  Our dads are wearing the same things as the GM. 
  • ok ok so I was the odd ball and didn't know the dad's were suppose to be neutral... I'll stick with the charcoal vest and tie for both dad's! =o) haha thanks for your help ladies!

And.. FI's dad does not care what he wears... my dad just wants his cowboy boots to go so charcoal will be great!
  • I think both dad's in charcoal would be best.
  • I like the last option of matching the vest and ties to the mom's dresses. That is kind of what I am doing. My mom's dress is silver so my dad will have silver. My FMIL's dress is teal but FFIL will have a light silver vest so it will still go with her dress. Having him in a teal vest would look too random. I agree with you...I didn't want both dad's to match eachother. So I just went with two different shades of a neutral color.
    Photobucket
  • S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I think both dads need to be in the same outfit -- so be default...something neutral-y. I wouldn't do the different colors, I think the consultant is right it would be too much going on in the pics.  -- on that note, if it were me i would do the charcoal w/ the black vest.

--our dads are wearing a white dinner jacket tux (white jacket + black pants)--
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_need-opinions-on-dads-wear-pips-and-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:28328070-a2fc-4e98-a219-390a62b30966Post:f47766f4-ab15-4ea4-ae5e-06213d7611f2">Re: Need opinions on Dad's wear! (PIPs and Poll!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm weird, but <strong>unless the vest is the same material as the tux (i.e. wool), you should keep the vest and ties the same color</strong>...now what color that is I have no idea what to tell you! lol  Our dads are wearing the same things as the GM. 
    Posted by gpapale1[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. And, I also vote for charcoal vest & tie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think charcoal vest and tie LOOKS best too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards