May 2012 Weddings
Options

Vegas, Anyone?

Have any of you ever been to Vegas & stayed on the strip? FI & I are going there for our HM & want to book the hotel this week. However, we have NO idea where to stay. We don't want anything way over the top expensive, but we don't want a dump either. When I look online at reviews, I get overwhelmed by all the different options & opinions! So, I thought I'd ask you ladies if you had any recommendations :) TIA!

ETA: What are suggestions of fun things to do there? Again, we are clueless :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vegas, Anyone?

• Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    If you can afford it (there are typically large cost gabs between floor levels) )I would stay at the Bellagio...or the Venetian...then again the Ceasars palace is beautiful too! If you are wanting something that is a little cheaper, you might check out the New York, NY hotel...   :) But also remember, if you stay at something close to/on the strip you can visit these big attraction hotels too...instead of paying the extra price to actually stay at them...
    Anniversary
  • Options

We go every year.  We have stayed at the MGM, the Luxor, New York New York and the Aria.  The Aria was very nice, but everything was too upscale (even a casual meal was pricey, so we ate at other places).  The MGM, NYNY and Luxor are also nice (with a better variety of dining), but I didn't like being all the way at the end of the strip.

All the major hotels are similar in size and options.  I think next time we go we are going to try the Bellagio (since it is more in the center).

Tip: Bring very comfortable shoes, lotion, and chap stick.  The air is really dry and you walk a lot!  And our favorite pit stop on the strip (we consider it a must do) is Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville...best margaritas ever.

• Options
    I've stayed at Rio and Sahara. Rio was decently priced and the room was huge. Sahara was a typical hotel room. I went for budget trips because I used to go to the large car show (sema) with my show car so transport of the car cross country left me broke. Lol. But neither room was terrible... Sahara is a bit out of the way though.
  • Options
    I've stayed at Rio and Sahara. Rio was decently priced and the room was huge. Sahara was a typical hotel room. I went for budget trips because I used to go to the large car show (sema) with my show car so transport of the car cross country left me broke. Lol. But neither room was terrible... Sahara is a bit out of the way though.
  • Options
    I've only stayed at The Mirage, and loved it :)
  • Options

I used to live in Vegas (a black off the strip), so the only hotel I stayed at was Circus Circus. It's a bit out of the way. I would stay in the center area of the strip, like Ceasars, Mirage, Bellagio, Treasure Island, even Paris. Also, bring VERY comfortable shoes (sneakers) with you as you will walk alot.

• Options
    Caesars has amazing pools and just amazing.
  • Options
    I've stayed at NYNY twice. And we loved it. Also got a good deal.
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Ditto Jimmy Buffett's! We had so much fun there, and they really are awesome margarita's! :)

Also, if you like roller coasters, I really liked the roller coaster on top of NY NY.
  • Options
    caper18caper18 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    I'm getting married in Vegas!! I spend most of my time on that board but lurk here every so often. 

It's such a fun city - you'll have a blast.  I've recommended NYNY for my guests because of the great prices - we're staying 8 nights for about $800.  Check out smartervegas.com and sign up to get "unlisted" deals on accommodations.  They have great deals for all the hotels - deals that are typically only provided to their email lists or on their facebook page - but all in one place! 

Also Jackpot Vacations & Bookit.com have deals on where if you book your flight & hotel together and stay at an MGM property you get 2 free show tickets - we did this and we're going to see KA by Cirque du Soliel for free!

All MGM properties charge a daily resort fee (covers wireless, a newspaper, gym access etc) on top of their room rates - none of the Caesar's properties do, but their room rates can run double that of MGM properties.  Also word on the Vegas board is that if you tell them you are there on your honeymoon and slip the front desk a $20 you'll often get a complimentary room upgrade - worth a try I think!

Definitely bring comfy shoes!  It may only be one street but it goes on forever!  Definitely go to the top of the Eiffel Tower at night - the view of all the lights and the Bellagio fountains is amazing.  There is a 2 for 1 admission coupon  http://www.lasvegas-nv.com/las-vegas-coupons.htm  along with lots more!  

Hope you have a blast on your Honeymoon!!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    cosmopolitian! best never hotel! 
  • Options
    I live in Las vegas right next to the Palms.  I would stay central strip near Flamingo.  When are you going?  Ask me any questions you have, if I don't know them I will see what i can find out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    We went to Vegas for the first time a couple of months ago, and stayed at the Bellagio.  We booked airfare & the hotel through their website, and for 2 direct round trip airline tickets and a room for 4 nights & 5 days it was just under $1,000.  It was super nice and we would definitly stay there again, but next time we'd like to try the Venetian.  (Everyone said that these were 2 of the nicer hotels on the strip, and from what I saw of the other hotels we walked through I would agree!)  The nice thing about the Bellagio is that it is centrally located.

Agree with PPs on the comfy shoes thing!  

FI and I aren't big gamblers.  We went to Cirque de Soleil - Zumanity, and it was awesome (my 3rd Cirque show).  It's a little bit risque, their version of a cabaret circus of sorts, so very appropriate for the honeymoon!  And if your FI isn't totally into shows, he'll still appreciate all the boobs in it =]  Other than that, we sat and relaxed by the pool a lot, walked around looking at all the hotels.  I would highly recommend the Bellagio's Steakhouse - it was pricey but the best steak I've ever had, and FI and I are pretty picky about our steaks/been to a lot of nice steakhouses.  And go see Fremont street and do the zipline there!

This website was super helpful in planning the trip:

photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards