Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Heinz Memorial Chapel - Pros? Cons? Advice!

My fiancé and I are looking to have our wedding ceremony next October at Heinz Memorial Chapel – I am looking for advice from brides who have had their weddings there or are going to be having their weddings there.  Here’s what I’m wondering.

1.       Is it really as busy as everyone says?  Do I need 5 people calling for me at 8:30am on the dot and is it likely that I will get my date and time?  I’m nervous from hearing people talk (but it’s not from anyone directly who’ve had it there, just through the grapevine, so I wasn’t sure.)

2.       Is the 1 hour and 45 minute time limit really enough or do you think we should book 2 time slots?  I’m worried that we won’t have time for all of the pictures and we really would like to do a receiving line, but I know they won’t let you with 1 time slot.  What does everyone think?

3.       Who did you use as an officiant?  Did you like them?

Any other advice or suggestions you have would be great!  Thank you!!!

Re: Heinz Memorial Chapel - Pros? Cons? Advice!

• Options
    Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I am having my wedding there in August. In response to your questions:

1. I had about 8 people calling and one of us got through about 30 minutes after the lines opened. At that point, we got our first-choice date and time. It helped that we had two separate Saturdays and two separate time slots that we were willing to consider. Yes, it was a little bit stressful and hectic, but it was totally worth a half-hour of our time, or even more if we needed it. I also put together an info sheet for everyone calling that had all of the info they would need, plus a priotized list of our day/time combinations.

2. It depends on what kind of service you are having. Most officiants who have experience with HC are aware of the time constraints and can help plan your ceremony accordingly. It also helps to have a photog who has worked there before, too. At the very least, make them aware of the need to move through photos at a semi-quick pace. Have someone if your family (an aunt or uncle or someone) wrangle all family members who need to be present for photos after the ceremony. I am personally fine with no receiving line and this wouldn't be a reason for me personally to book two time slots. That's up to you, though.

3. We are having a Catholic ceremony and have a priest who is part of St. Paul's Cathedral. Not sure what kind of service you want, but check out the preferred vendor list for others.

Also, be aware of the photography guidelines for HC. Your photographer likely will not be able to get front and center for some of the big moments during the ceremony. They'll need to be a little creative in their shots. I've looked at photographers' blogs to see how they accomplished this. Just an FYI in case this is a deal-breaker.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    HC also doesnt have A/C, correct?  Maybe a problem in Oct, maybe not depending on if it's early or late oct.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_heinz-memorial-chapel-pros-cons-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:22072dda-0ee8-4fa4-832b-ffd0e614b4a1Post:a33ef2fb-9ad4-4cfc-ba8b-a648d0e38e4f">Re: Heinz Memorial Chapel - Pros? Cons? Advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]HC also doesnt have A/C, correct?  Maybe a problem in Oct, maybe not depending on if it's early or late oct.
    Posted by mdphd[/QUOTE]

Correct.
  • Options
    I looked into HC as a double Pitt alum and my major cons were the price, the photography restrictions, and the music restrictions.  I've heard that it helps to have someone with a Pitt extension calling for you, too.  Good luck!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some other things to consider: October is Homecoming at Pitt. I don't know if they schedule weddings the weekend of Homecoming itself, but that would be a nightmare. You'll also be unlikely to get two time slots on the day of your choice during prime wedding season.

I looked at HC as well, I've graduated twice from Pitt. We nixed it because of almost the same reasons as erbear did. IMO, if you're going to schedule HC, you have to be willing to compromise in a few places, like your date, time, ceremony lenght, etc. If you're set on a specific day/time/ceremony length, I'd consider something else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had my wedding in October, 2009 at HC, during homecoming weekend.  My expericene was nothing short of wonderful.  I didn't get the exact time that I wanted but the time slot that I ended up with (12:30), I was able to spend more time with my guest.  I also had a catholic ceramony (not a full ceramony obviously) and the time limits were just enough to get everything done, have amazing pictures, etc. 

If you also get a skilled photographer (like I had) who was very familiar with HC so our shots come out with no problem at all...yes i got a lot of pictures of the back of my dress but she did an amazing job capturing what I wanted.  If I had my ceremony in a traditional catholic church, I would've had the same shots since the photographers are not allowed on the alter snapping pictures.

I had 3 people call on the first business day of the month I wanted to get married in, my call was answered within 45 minutes. 

Also, your hour and 45 minutes consists of 45 minutes to get guest seated and one hour from start to finish of walking down the asile - no exceptions to their rule either- our ceremony was like 35 minutes, i had a huge wedding party and was able to get every. single. traditional. pose I wanted.   Also, the music choices were amazing, traditional which is something that I wanted.  So if you want some Beetles playing or something else, look elsewhere.

Also, calling from a Pitt line doesn't get you in the door any quicker.

It was a very cloudy cold rainy day in October for my wedding and the church was hot with no a/c. so standing on the alter with the lights and nerves made it unbearable but as I said earlier, I wouldn't have had it any other way. 
    image Ivory
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards