Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Overwhelmed!

Hi gals!

I just recently became engaged, and was excited about a wedding to begin with. Now I am becoming overwhelmed! I was thinking about having a ceremony at Phipps. Does anyone know if it is very pricey to do this?

I don't have any idea how to work with a budget, as I don't even know what mine is! I haven't saved any money for a wedding, so I'm trying to do the least expensive option without going to a Church. (We aren't religious) We likely won't have more than 50-60 people at our wedding ceremony/reception.

Help!!

Re: Overwhelmed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!! No need to feel overwhelmed, there are a lot of tools out there to help you get organized!

First I would think what exactly you would like your wedding to be... without money, what is your perfect day.
    Then, I would talk to you families to see if they are able to contribute, if this is not an option, then you and your FI need to sit and talk about what you can realistically spend on a wedding. You may decide that you need to push your wedding off for a year or two so you can save up.
    If you have an overall number, then there are budget worksheets in a lot of planning books and on the knots site.
    Then once you have your budget and your day, you can start pricing items.

Another tip, on the knot boards it is hard to ask if something is "pricey". All the brides on here have different budgets, so you may want to ask what things run, and then evaluate how that works with your budget.

HTH! Keep asking questions!!!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  You can do a wedding for 50-60 people on a very reasonable budget.  I'd start thinking about what's most important to you and spend the most on that.  Figure out how much money you have to spend and then start thinking about how much you can spend on each thing.  If you have a wedding/reception on Friday or Sunday you can save money, as well as if you do a luncheon instead of a dinner reception.  Just a few ideas!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!

Phipps sent me their ceremony pricing recently...  the garden ceremony is 1200.

I think it is a good idea to set a budget before you start looking at places... you dont want to get your heart set on a venue and then realize you can't afford it.  Think about what you and your FI can save reasonably between now and your desired wedding date.  Use that amount as the budget, and the Knot budgeter can help you see how much you should be spending on each portion of the wedding (venue, photographer, etc).

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I've been wondering if I should just invite fewer people to the ceremony, and have it very small-maybe even at the courthouse. Then only have to worry about spending all of the money on food/wine/beer at the reception. We definitely do not want to push our wedding ahead any further, but I do know that we don't want to spend all of the money we have on one day!

I saw someone said it was only $600 to rent a carriage house at Phipps..which is perfectly reasonable for a ceremony! It is hard to get a hold of people at Phipps for prices and what not. Does anyone know the cost to rent an a room for 50-60 people in order to hold a ceremony? Also, what are costs for holding a reception for the same amount of people?
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

some venues will let you hold the ceremony & reception and not charge much extra for the ceremony, just so that you know. it seems you have your heart set on phipp's though! :)

we had our ceremony & reception at the le mont. we were charged $2pp for the ceremony, so it came to something like $280 for the ceremony fee.

• Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can send you the pdf for phipps with all the pricing if you tell me your email!  Just PM it to me if you dont want to post it on the board.
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome! I asked a lot of questions in the beginning and everyone was really, really helpful. So keep asking! I don't specifically know the pricing for Phipps because our wedding is much too large for their facility. I just wanted to say good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I just got the e-mai with the info in it. :)

I do think that I have my heart set on Phipps...and with over a year to save money for the wedding, I'm sure it won't be a problem. My mom already said that she could help me with the money for a deposit, if need be. I think I'm just freaking out about all of the little details! I'm mostly worried about paying for my dress, Adam's tux, the venue we want to have the ceremony/reception at, and then paying for food and drinks for everyone.

I don't really want to worry too horribly much about everything else, I'm not big on decorations and things. Plus, we are having a winter wedding, and Phipps is already decorated beautifully-I'm hoping we won't have to worry about much decoration beyond that!

I'm thinking you are all right about sitting down with my love, and talking about how much we can save/spend. He is SO not helpful though! He seems to think that a year and a half is way too far ahead to start worrying about this all, but I keep telling him that the sooner we get started, the less stressed we will be about it all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I would appreciate it if you could send me that info! I was trying to sending you a PM, but couldn't quite figure out how to. I'm a newb! :) Here is my e-mail address: hlsimpson1@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hello and congrats! I don't have any further advice, but good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! :)
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to say Hi and welcome!! Congrats on the engagement and don't stress too much - if you have a year and 1/2 to plan, there is no need to immediately stress over the little details - take them as they come. First things first, figure out your exact budget and date and go from there! The venue is probably the biggest thing to get nailed down at this point in time so do some research and decide what you and FI can realistically afford... call around to various places and get different prices/options and go from there. I absolutely LOVE Phipps, but it was not an option for me due to the size of my wedding - it's beyond gorgeous there though!!

GOOD LUCK and I look forward to hearing more about your wedding! Don't hesitate to ask questions and advice! The ladies on the board are super helpful!! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The prices for having an actual ceremony at Phipps are VERY reasonable for a small ceremony. It looks as though they require you to use their vendors for food/drinks though....maybe having just the ceremony there would be wise, and have the reception somewhere else?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards