May 2012 Weddings
Options

Save the Date for 2012?

We are having a destination wedding on the holiday weekend of Memorial Day in 2012.

Now, here is the real question.

How soon should we send the Save the Dates?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Save the Date for 2012?

• Options
    i would say at least a year. 
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_save-date-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:683a9729-b2c6-4cf9-9687-2cbc1ef78bc4Post:4e47d83a-39c3-4f67-8d5c-456e63a418c1">Save the Date for 2012?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a destination wedding on the holiday weekend of Memorial Day in 2012. Now, here is the real question. How soon should we send the Save the Dates?
    Posted by LadyOhh[/QUOTE]

Late fall of 2011  for those who may travel from out of town,  if you will be having a wedding in a place where lots of people go for the long weekend, and lodgings fill up.
    <font color="#333399"> (ETA - not all destination weddings require long distance or expensive travel, and many are not in high demand locations or seasons.  very long distance and expensive, closest people you expect will come should at least informally know,  June in Hawaii.  They can ask for more details.)</font>

Other  than that 4 months ahead is fine.  The only things people plan like a year ahead  that will conflict are things like 2 week vacations - which they will take anyways,   or things like a traditional yearly outing.  Those they will make the final decision about in the last 6 weeks before the wedding, not way out.

Anyone and everyone you send a Save to Must be invited, even if you want to change your wedding for some reason and have far fewer guests.  It is really a mistake to formally send Saves too early.

Of course, letting people be aware - we are planning our wedding for the 2nd weekend in June - informally, without promises to invite any but the very closest people, is fine.

But Saves declare a commitment - we are letting you know we will definately be inviting you.

Realize that you can send Save the Dates to just people coming from a great distance, or just a handful of people, 6 - 8 months in advance, and let others know at 4 months.  It is not impolite.
  • Options
    we are sending ours really early so people can plan because it is a destination.  But just be aware that your guest list is being set so far in advance.  The nice thing about a desitation though is that you can have a big guest list because there will probably be a higher percentage of people who can't make it. 
  • Options
    Is it an out of town Destintaion? or Full out some where hot? If it's the first one; wait till this time next year.. I know it kills you. If its the second.. Fall 2011, because people will be requiring time off and to save money to go :)
    ~ Amber & Jesse ~ Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm planning to send our STDs around Late July, Early August 2011, just because almost everyone is coming from out of town. Real invitations are going out early december 2011. 
  • Options
    I would give one year to some people and 9-6 months to others. I have family that works in some fields where they have to turn in a vacation request up to a year in advance, even more so for a holiday.
  • Options
    Do it BEFORE memorial day of 2011. Our isn't a destination and on that weekend and we are sending them in February(ish) of 2011

A lot of people rebook places while they are there, expecially if it is a place that they normally go every weekend. If you are worried about people losing the Save-the-Dates look for magnets (magnetstreet.com has really cute ones) that people an easily keep on their fridge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards