May 2012 Weddings

Hair/Make-up

So, I have started looking for places for hair and make-up. Most of the places I have found seem competitve as far as pricing. One place charges $250 for hair, which includes a run-through. (Not sure what I can even do with this short hair I am trying to grow out and have no idea how long I can even get it by May). Does this seem reasonable? I won't be able to do a run-through until the day before, but that's okay. At the end of their list of services and charges, is a listing for off-site...$300! This sounds crazy. Is it?

I was also wondering...who pays for the services? My MOH, mom, and FMIL will have their hair and make up done as well. Do they each pay for their own or am I supposed to pay? The website for the salon says services "are to be paid in full by the Bride." I can't possibly afford to pay for myself plus three other people ($400 or more for them). At my SIL/MOH's wedding, I paid for my own makeup and nails. So, what do I do? I think everyone would be fine paying their own.

Re: Hair/Make-up

• It does seem a bit pricey if $250 is for only hair, but a lot of it depends on location I think.

My stylist starts at $45 for basic wedding hair, but I assume with my length/thickness of hair she'll probably charge me like $65 or $70.  I pay full price for the style on the trial day, and half price on my wedding day (so probably like $140 including the trial and the day of).

My makeup artist charges $70 for day of/$60 for trial (so $130 including both), and she is traveling to my house from Chicago, about 2.5 hours away.

If you are requiring anyone to have their hair/makeup done, you should pay for it.  But if it is optional and they choose to have it done, it is okay if they pay for it.  Does your salon make you pre-pay?  What they may do is have your credit card on file in case during the chaos of the day, someone forgets to pay.  I'd ask the salon more about this.

HTH =]
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks. I would love to find a place that is less expensive, closer to your range! However, the area I will be in is generally more expensive. I am not requiring anyone to have their hair or makeup done in a specific way. They have expressed an interest in having it done professionally. I guess I can just leave it up to them and let them decide.

Makeup is $65 for trial and day of ($130 total). It just seemed like hair is outrageous for myself. Everyone else is like $75.
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are requiring your BMs to have professionally done hair and makeup then you have to pay for it, but if they want to, then that's up to them.

MV prices are pretty high, especially if you want the person to come on site. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm using my regular hairdresser and the make up person at her salon for the day of, hair will run 55-60 per person for me and BMs, and make up is about 60-65 per person.  when I shopped around I found this was the most resonable.  I have been seeing my same hairdresser for 5 years now and she knows how to work with my hair and when we spoke the last time she was honest and advised that I dont need a seperate trial.  It's nice to use someone you know because they look out for you and not just try to get more money because its a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That seems high. I am in Philadelphia which is usually higher then other places. Im also getting married down the jersey shore which is high. Im having my personal hair dresser driving down to the shore to do my and my girls hair 60 dollars per girl. Most weddings I been in as a bridemaids you pay for your hair as the duty of a bridesmaid. My gift to my girls is paying for the hair. :)

Good Luck!
  • being a sunday of a long weekend i a small summer resort town (pre summer season)....I havn't found anyone to do either, every salon and every stylist is not open or wants double pay (double pay on top of already high prices) so we are going to have to get creative and do our own, thankfully my wedding is pretty casual so will probably just get bm's to do own make up and stick orchids in thier hair (however they want) and im thinking about getting extenstions earlier in the week, and paying a family friend to come and do something with it on the day of. Will have to do own makeup. 

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards