Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Vow Renewal

I know this isn't a popular concept with many on The Knot, however, I wanted some opinions.

My husband and I had planned a wedding in February 2010.  Unfortunately, our daughter became ill and hospitalized and all wedding things were cast aside.  However, we did get married at the courthouse, since that was the important part of the wedding.

Both of us have discussed renewing our vows, as at the courthouse we had our daughters with us and it was simply "Do you take x to be your husband/wife?  Okay, you're now husband and wife".  

Some family members know this and would like to be present at a vow renewal.  Would it be completely classless to allow this?  We would only invite immediate family members and perhaps have a dinner or something afterwards to thank them for their attendance.  I don't want to cross the boundaries of what is appropriate, but I also don't want to *not* allow anyone to come in fear of offending someone.  thoughts?  Also, anyone who has done this/has known someone who has done this, do you think it's inappropriate to have a vow renewal on a day that is not your wedding anniversary?  Or would that just be problematic later?  

Re: Vow Renewal

• Options
    In Response to Re: Vow Renewal:
    [QUOTE

I'm sorry about your daughters illness. That must have been very hard

I  personally am not a fan of vow renewals except a major milestones like 20 years.  For me, it means nothing to hear me say your vows again knowing those vows arent binding you in anyway since you are already bound.

I think it would be more appropriate for you to just have a celebration with family and friends and skip the renewal part.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Spellcheck is available here and paragraphs are your friend.  Try it sometime.

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_vow-renewal-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:255b0f49-6cf1-4e0b-acbc-faa58bc5d681Post:f1aefef6-91e1-4e9e-a609-9e1812c69626">Re: Vow Renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vow Renewal : [QUOTE I'm sorry about your daughters illness. That must have been very hard I  personally am not a fan of vow renewals except a major milestones like 20 years.  For me, it means nothing to hear me say your vows again knowing those vows arent binding you in anyway since you are already bound. I think it would be more appropriate for you to just have a celebration with family and friends and skip the renewal part. Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE] Spellcheck is available here and paragraphs are your friend.  Try it sometime.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

oot, what the heck - her post wasn't that bad - at all! You really need to stop antagonizing Calypso, because quite honestly, it makes you look immature. I get that you don't agree with her on many topics, but you seem to have a need to attack her for stupid pidly little things just to remind her that you don't like her. It's unfortunate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards