May 2012 Weddings

Is it ever to early to plan your wedding? My fiance thinks so help!

So my fiance thinks I'm doing to much because our wedding is so far away but I think I'm being smart. In my group of friends I'm the planner. I know my wedding isn't for 600+ days but I want to get the little things done like my colors my dress his suit the venues organized so I can actually enjoy the days up to my wedding day. Plus, my future sister in law is getting married next June so my focus will be on her rather then my wedding so I won't have the time.
Is he right should I stop planning?

Re: Is it ever to early to plan your wedding? My fiance thinks so help!

• It's not too early to plan, but it may too early to put down money. Some places won't even take deposits this early, and don't buy your dress now.. You have a LOT of time, and you may regret any purchases you make now two years down the road.

I have plenty of things planned, and the only things that are set in stone is the most important parts:

We are getting married.

Everything else doesn't matter ;)

But we do have the venue booked and the date set.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No its not too early. My fiance & I are getting marriedin May 2012 too & i've already started looking at dresses and stuff, though I wouldnt suggest buying anything until next year
    RaevynAdey
  • My fiance thinks it is too early too. His sister just got married saturday so now his mom has focused her attention on me. (I don't have contact with my family) SHe told me that in about 4 months I need to have my venue picked so that i can start going to the place and getting everything figured out....i just don't like how everything has to be done so early!!!!! it would be alot easier if the guy actually had an opinion..lol
  • If it's bothering your fiance then keep the wedding magazines in the car, or on your side of the closet. What harm is it going to do for you to be planning what you like and then, once you get your thoughts together, bringing it up to him casually. Trust me, guys are typically clueless and he'll have no idea that you're mentally getting everything together. Or, you can go the route I did and tell him you don't necessarily need his input, but that planning now will save you from stressing later since you have more time to iron things out. He loves you!! He should understand if you come at it from that angle. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He simply may not want to hear about it until the last 6-9 months before the wedding.   Since you are idea gathering more than anything, if he says this, just file things away until the last year in your ideas files. 

Some people find that when conversations are frequently about wedding planning, and weekends are spent looking at venues, etc., it is fun.  But others dislike it, and feel that it is changing their relationship from doing enjoyable things together, conversing about every day things   to constant thought of a party too far distant for them to care. 

That does not mean they do not care about the wedding.  They do. They simply see no need to drag out a planning process that can be completed in 6 months to a year,  over a 2 year time.
  • I just got engaged too and we are looking to get married in May/June of 2012.  I am a planner too so I love this stuff.  My fiance has a very busy work schedule and we have been together for over 7 years so he knows I am going to start very early with the scheduling and just thinks its funny and it does not bother him.

***My advice is to start looking at the venues and book a place this year because you will get the 2011 rate instead of the 2012 rate (which will most likely increase).  Especially if you are looking for a holiday weekend it may be good to book early because those dates fill up very fast.  I too have my top 3 and am looking to book by September.  After that I am going to relax and wait for my dress because I know styles and fashion change as well as my taste and weight haha.  Good luck!  

• Hun we've been planning this day since we were five years old! :) Haha, but now we can make our plans public. I agree with the other ladies, keep your inspirations on file and do some research, read reviews of vendors in your area so you can learn from them. When the time is right, start booking and have fun! xoxo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is too early to WORRY about things.

Planning and having ideas and researching is one thing. Making sure you get best prices and look at people that you like and whatnot- gives you an idea. But if you WORRY about things, especially little things like color palates or flower arrangements, things not usually done until less than 6 months before the wedding than I would agree with your fiance.

It just seems like you two have different opinions so just dont stress about it. Look here and there and if you find stuff you like, bring him back to show him and find out his opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even if it's too early to put down money on anything, I couldn't stop myself from at least thinking about what I want if my life depended on it! I'm so excited, that I'm constantly online, or reading magazines, and talking to everyone about it. There's no harm in at least just thinking through everything you like. You're right, it would take some stress off those last few months when you should just be nothing but ecstatic. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards