Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

**Barbie**

Let's talk MBA!  If you are thinking of going back in the next couple of years, it's good to have that in mind now.  Have you taken your GMAT yet?

So I'm a little bit of a non-traditional MBA student, but I actually never had taken a business course in my life before starting here.  My focus is different- more nonprofit management/ social enterprise/ maybe some HR- so I have about four years of relevant work experience and volunteer activities in those areas that sort of replace the more traditional business experience and education.  I do think that my different background is a little bit of a detriment for these initial core classes- my classmates with the accounting/ finance/ Excel/ statistics experience are having a somewhat easier time getting through these core classes than me, for whom EVERYTHING is new.

I'm not sure how old you are, but most business programs really do look for a minimum of three years work experience, and most students have more than that.  I'm four years out of college and on the younger side of my class for sure.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
Vacation

Re: **Barbie**

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're in the same boat. I have never taken a business class in my life. I don't plan on jumping into the MBA right away for the exact reasons you said. I don't have the work experience quite yet and I'm still pretty young (23). Plus, if I stay with Target they will eventually contribute to the payment for said MBA. In the mean time, I think I'm going to look into taking a few basic business classes.

I have not taken the GMAT, but I have taken the GRE. I think they are pretty similar. I got a 1000+ on the GRE, so with a little bit of practice I should be fine for the GMAT in the next few years. 

However, this all depends on me getting a job with Target. I'm really hoping that I do and the two people I have mentioned it to at work are really excited and think it's a great idea. Hopefully, I get to stay with Target because I really enjoy my job and what I do. 

Where is your program? What other schools did you look at?

Thanks for the advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards