May 2012 Weddings

What do you say?

My boss and I were walking to a meeting today, and she asked me what we wanted for the wedding: gifts or cash.  I didn't know what to say!  I wanted to say, "Cash, please!", but I feel like that would have been rude somehow???  I just said that we were registered for a few things, but we would glady accept whatever she decided.  I wish I had the balls to say money.  Just money.

Re: What do you say?

• That's an awkward thing to ask someone! I would have wanted to say MONEY too!

I think your response was perfect and I honestly wouldn't have been able to come up with that on the spot if I was asked the same question by my boss!
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • I think what you said was the best way to put it. I too have been faced with that question and basically said the same thing. Honestly I wanted to scream MONEY at the tops of my lungs.

FWIW I also think that people should already know the answer to those kind of questions. I mean what engaged couple/ about to be married doesn't want cash?
  • I don't think my boss would have thought anything of it if I said cash...she's my PhD supervisor/mentor, so we have a closer relationship because I'm technically her student.  I would have felt rude saying it though!

I hope people know that we want cash.  I've been telling our family members to tell guests that's what we'd rather have if they ask.  We're trying to save up for a house, people!
  • "cash?!  eww gross!  what am i going to do with cash?!"  /sarcasm

hahaha  why do people even ask?  people are funny
  • dori851dori851 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Yes, that is an awkward question. I've had a couple family friends ask what we want for the wedding & I'll reply with "Well, we're registered at such & such." A couple of them have then asked "Well, what off your registry do you REALLY want?" I'm like seriously people? We registered for all of it because we want all of it :) LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_what-do-you-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:a78141fe-767b-49ce-986b-5df12d467f75Post:23881d57-cda3-41ca-b2ee-9ff70f169b5e">Re: What do you say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, that is an awkward question. I've had a couple family friends ask what we want for the wedding & I'll reply with "Well, we're registered at such & such." A couple of them have then asked "Well, what off your registry do you REALLY want?" I'm like seriously people? We registered for all of it because we want all of it :) LOL
    Posted by dori851[/QUOTE]

I've had this. My one aunt asked me what she should get me off the registry... I was like.. anything is good. I mean I dont know her budget, so how can I tell her what to buy me?
    Then my other Aunt kept asking if there was something 4 of them could go in on. I was like, well there is a knife set we want, check our registry. Then she asked about sheets. I wanted to scream "CHECK MY REGISTRY!!" I kept telling her, there are sheets on our registry. We have a really thick matress, so need 18 inch pockets. They can be hard to find.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even if you had this dream registry with 50 million gifts you spent all day picking out, who is going to turn down cash?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_what-do-you-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:a78141fe-767b-49ce-986b-5df12d467f75Post:23881d57-cda3-41ca-b2ee-9ff70f169b5e">Re: What do you say?</a>:
    [QUOTE] seriously people? We registered for all of it because we want all of it :) LOL
    Posted by dori851[/QUOTE]

This was my response when my Aunt told me there was "nothing good" left on our registry. At the time only 15 gifts had been purchased.

I'll tell people that we've registered wherever but we're really trying to save up for a house. I don't care if it's tacky, they asked!
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Haha thank god my mo handled this one for me...she told all my relatives...they are paying for their wedding please give cash.lol. I'm not sure what I would say if my boss asked lol
  • If they ask...then say what you want.  They open it up and are seaking what you want or they wouldn't ask.  I have always thought this was one of the dumbest questions for engaged couples...ugh, think long and hard about that one!  You were young once, right?
    Time of our lives Anniversary
  • You answered the question well, very well :)

But yeah, who doesn't want cash?!
    Anniversary
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    I agree that you answered the question well. But wouldn't it be awresome if we could all just ask for money? haha
    imageAnniversary
  • I would feel the same way! I think if it was my friends asking I would be okay with saying money, but everyone else I would say what you said.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Advantages of getting married past 30... we have good jobs but don't have a ton of nice stuff, I'd be so pumped if we got everything off the registry.  I can't justify buying my own china, and it'd take years to find excuses to buy all that stuff, as much as I want it. 
    I'll take cash though - our oven just quit working - that'll soften the blow.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards