Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

How the h*ll should I know?

So I was just given the task of deciding on what type of lighting we should put in our hallways in our new building.  Something that would highlight whatever signage, pictures, artwork may be on the walls (specifics as yet unknown) but provide sufficient lighting for people walking through the halls.

Now, I'm no Interior Designer, nor am I a lighting expert, so why the h*ll are you asking me? Apparently the architects are wondering to plan for what type of electrical to run through the ceilngs.  Aren't they the ones who should be helping to answer this question?

My first thought was to stay away from the horrible box fluorescent lights in most offices.  I really hate those things.  But, maybe that's best?  Does anyone know anything about lighting?

I'm thinking maybe track lighting, or downlights (but I have no idea if these would give off enough light).  And I'm supposed to write up something about what kind we should use, and why.  WTF?

Re: How the h*ll should I know?

• edited December 2011
    Um, wow.  Please tell me this is not due before you go away for the holidays.
  • Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No - they want it the day I return from the holidays.  On the 4th.  So basically I have the next 20 minutes, tomorrow, and probably the morning of the 4th.  Love it.
  • edited December 2011
    What the shizz? I dont' know anything about office lighting. I like lamps. :P
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend from high school go to school for lighting, mainly he does stage lighting for theater.  I can see if I can get his email address for you?  Not sure if he can help but he's the only lighting person I know... haha.

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jenn - not sure that'd be the same thing. :)

I figure I'll give them some BS, and they can roll with it however they want.  They're fault for asking me to do it.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not helpful, but that is really annoying.  Is there any way you can say no to the task? 

I randomly vote for track lighting because I think it's the prettiest :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    OMG.  Seriously, I can not stand requests like this from work.  My boss asked me where (locally) to get something framed for our conference room.  Um, how should I know?  I've lived in this area for a year and a half and the only place I've ever had anything framed was Michaels. 

Track lighting would highlight work on the walls, but I agree...not sure it would provide enough light for the hallway itself. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • edited December 2011
    Erica, I work for an electrical contractor, if you need someone to install I can give you their number. 
    If LED lighting is in the budget, you might want to look into that because it saves so much on utilities if your company will be at that location (after a few years it pays for itself).  I agree, I 'd stay away from your typical flourescents.  Track lighting sounds like a good idea because you could angle and move it to shine on whatever is put on the walls.
    Good luck with this wacky request!
  • New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about office lighting, but also throw in my fairly useless vote for LEDs and track lighting over the typical office flourecent.
  • Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Jamie - I don't think they've started bidding out the jobs yet, and I have absolutely nothing to do with the process. Another reason why I have no idea why they asked me to do this.

Thanks for the LED / track lighting reqs!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards