May 2012 Weddings
Options

RD Location

So I know several of you are doing the RD at FIL's houses or parents houses. How have guests reacted to that?

We are doing pizza (keeping it casual) and we can't find a place that is big enough. We ave a large WP and both my parent's and FIL's are divorced and remarried so we have several parents. We have thought about doing it in our backyard so that guests get a chance to see our house PLUS we have the extra room that the pizza places don't have. The money my FIL's are giving us towards the RD would go further if we had it at our house. What do you ladies think? Try to find a bigger pizza place or just use my backyard?

Re: RD Location

• Options
    backyard....save yourself some money. you can still just order pizza.  We are having it in my parents back yard, and we are doing like the usual back yard BBQ dinner. My family is used to having parties in my back yard, so my family is excited about it. Plus then, its way more laid back and you can relax the day before the wedding! 

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think doing it at your house would a great choice. Kills two birds with 1 stone.

I have a question for you. So you are doing the dinner after you go to the venue and do the rehersal?

My FFIL is paying for the RD but wants us to do the rehersal as well as the dinner at his house rather than go to the venue which is 30-45 minutes away. I am very nervous about this as I want do a dry run at the actual venue beforehand. Just curious if I am being ridiculous about this idea of needing to go the actual venue to practice.
    Unplanned BFP#1 12/15/09 7wks m/c 12/24/09 Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited February 2012

We're having ours at my FI's parents.  A friend of ours is fixing bbq and sides!  We're going to get tables from my Mom's work and some chairs from my church.  We're going to set out some yard games, gas lamps, and a radio.  They also have a pond so everyone is invited to fish.  We're still talking about an alternate rain location because the house isn't big enough for everyone in case of rain.  Everyone that we have mentioned it to seems to think it's a great idea.  It's definitely a money saver.

dland:
    We're going to the venue for our rehearsal then heading to FI's parents for the dinner (it's only a 15min drive).  I see what your FFIL is saying, but I wouldn't be comfortable at all not having the rehearsal at the actual wedding location.  I'm sure you would be fine, but I'm such a planner...  I'd worry myself to death.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    dland:
    Yes we are having it at the church were the ceremony will be. The church doesn't have a big enough room to do the dinner there. I have never seen one done at a different location I thought that was the whole point of the rehearsal. I wouldn't be comfortable with it but then again the church is still in the same town as everything else and about 15 min from my house. I understand FFIL's point but I do think that is 1 thing I would stick to my guns about. Maybe just move times around to accomodate for the extra travel.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Totally didn't mean to hi-jack the post.
    Unplanned BFP#1 12/15/09 7wks m/c 12/24/09 Anniversary image
  • Options
    I think having it at your house would be perfectly fine! I'm all about saving money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are having our RD in our backyard BEFORE the rehearsal.  I think having it at home really keeps things casual and fun before all the craziness of the final day wedding preparations.  Do whatever is most convenient for you. 

I would also stick to my guns about having the rehearsal at the actual venue.  I would be so nervous if we had the rehearsal at a different place.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am all for saving money, I vote for doing it at your house.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love the idea of a backyard BBQ. I don't know what we're doing for ours yet. Hopefully something simple and stress free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards