Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Love the Venue, not the price...how to proceed?

Hi everyone--so I fell in love (for the second time). I found a venue (ceremony + reception) that actually made me cry, and I'm not a big crier. Everything about it spoke to me! The problem is that it is over my budget. While the price includes a lot (tables, chairs, linen, dinnerware, ceremony set up, event coordinator, servers and bartender), it's more than I imagined spending. I have no idea what to do because I'm afraid I won't find another place that I love as much. I looked at 5similar-type (and less $$) venues and didn't like any of them as much. Any advice from someone who's been through it already??

Re: Love the Venue, not the price...how to proceed?

• Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted to go for it, but I don't know if I'm the best authority because budgeting is not, never has been, never will be, my strong suit.  If you have to go into debt or do something severe to book the venue, then definitely don't do it, but if you can find other ways to cut costs or bring in some extra cash to fit it into your budget, I would do it.

ETA:  What venue is it?  Curiosity is getting the best of me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on how much outside your budget it is. We looked at a few places that we loved, but the cost of those was just about the same as our overall budget, so there was no way that they would work.

If the venue isn't too far out of your budget, maybe you can cut other places or see if you can do a Sunday wedding there for cheaper.

If the venue is way, way out of your budget, then I would not book it and ask yourself what you love about that venue. If you come back here with those details maybe we can help recommend places that would be in your budget and have a similar feel.

HTH.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you love the venue, then see if there are other areas you can cut back to make it fit within your overall budget (ie: DIY projects, cheaper dress) If it's going to put you over budget no matter what, then it's not worth it - coming out of a wedding in debt is crazy.

Vacation

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's - if you can cut back on other things and still be within your overall 'budget' then I would say go for it! If it is way, way over your budget then I would say definitely not. Remeber, although it is probably the most important day of your life - it's just that... a day... why put yourself into massive debt for one day when there are other places that could be just as beautiful and wonderful?

I would also like to know what venue it is. If you let us know what it was about the venue that you fell in love with (be it the decor, the feeling it gave you, etc.) then perhaps we can help you with places with a similar feel that will stay within your budget! HTH and GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going to vote, since I don't know the details of how much over budget you're going. I'd lean towards saying you shouldn't go for it, but if you can cut other things and make it work, then ok. It just depends what's most important to you- ceremony/reception venue, photography, dress, etc. I think we all have a splurge area or two. HTH some!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote no. Here's why:

If it is already out of your budget, it will only be more so by the time of the wedding. Prices could go up. Even if you lock in the price, you will find a cake cutting fee, you'll want to add coffee, you'll want to add an extra hour, you'll forget to budget for gifts for the BM's, you'll need a hotel the night before...

and then quickly something that was a stretch becomes a serious financial problem. I exceeded my original budget too because I simply didn't think of every little thing that costs money in a wedding, like a manicure, a new tube of mascara, a pair of earrings, a rented dance floor, etc. I padded my budget to begin with, so I was fine. But had I picked a place at the top of my budget, I'd have spent too much.

In the future, a good tip is not to look at it if you can't afford it. That goes for a dress, a cake, a florist, a venue, a necklace, a veil, invites, etc. You will fall in love with something you didn't even know existed. Also, if they really won't give you prices over the phone, even ballpark, there's usually a reason.

If you tell us what venue, we might be able to help find alternatives that are just as nice.
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with kwynn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto kwynn for sure. We didn't pick the more expensive place of our top 2 for that reason, and actually were just as pleased/maybe more so and came in several thousand under our original budget!
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also with Kwynn... There was a place that I loved as well but was $15 a plate more than what we intended to spend(at their lowest level) and I knew that as the date got closer that I would want upgrades or spend money on unexpected things. I am 3 months out from my wedding and let me tell you how every penny that was saved for this wedding is being used.I refuse to go into debt over it or charge the whole thing on a credit card. I felt the same way you did.. our ceremony and reception is 30 miles south of the Burgh and there are not very many options. Keep looking!

If you tell us what area you are looking in, the girls on the board may be able to help!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bren627bren627 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input! The place I'm looking at is Lingrow Farm and I have still yet to find one I like as much. I think we are going to go for it because I've been able to find other areas where we can cut corners (my parents are making the wine for the bar, my mom's friend is making invitations, etc.) We're not blowing our whole budget on the venue, it's just at the top of what we wanted to spend. We're going to make it work! Thanks again everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards