Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Questions/Need Advice

Hey Ladies,
   My FI and I were engaged this past November (2009) and are planning our wedding. We have played around with several locations (The Barn at Falling Water, The Grand Concourse, etc.). I would really like to have our ceremony in a cathedral setting and have been searching for a church with no luck. Neither of us are practicing Catholics (I was baptized Catholic and both of our extended families are practicing)...Any ideas?
Thanks in advance! Smile

Re: Questions/Need Advice

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you want something in the city itself and do you want a Catholic church? I know St. Paul's is one that is recommended often here. It's in Oakland, between Pitt and CMU.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    anne513anne513 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I would like something in the city, but am open...
    We really can't use a Catholic church since we aren't active in the Catholic church. That's whats making this so difficult.. :o/

• Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

The recommended vendors page (inside the post at the top of the board) has a list of churches.  The Old Stone Church in Monroeville is a church that can be rented for ceremonies but you do not have to be religious.  First Unitarian in Shadyside will also marry non-religious couples.  Info for both is on that recommended vendors page.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Third Presbyterian Church of PIttsburgh on Sixth and S. Negley is gorgeous inside.  I taught a summer school there once and was always in "awe" of the sanctuary.  It has a pretty hefty rental fee ($1,450!) and a lot of rules.  But -- it IS absolutely beautiful inside and they do some non-member weddings.

http://thirdchurch.org/weddings/

This is the only link to a picture inside the sanctuary I could find and it's only a little look at how beautiful the wooden detail is: http://tinyurl.com/2akr2ja

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    anne513anne513 member
    edited December 2011
     Thanks so much! Smile
     Your all a huge help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about Heinz Chapel? Is that also non-denominational?
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yes, Heinz Chapel is non-denominational.  You just need a connection to Pitt.  All the info. about booking is on their site: http://www.heinzchapel.pitt.edu/weddings/reservations.html

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    anne513anne513 member
    edited December 2011
     Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately we don't have connections with Pitt so Heinz Chapel is out (I love that location though!)
    We do want a religious service as we are both religious. The church my family attends does not meet in an actual church building and my parents have been my pastors most of my life (Dad pastor/chaplain, mom just resigned as pastor of small church). We all agreed we want a trditional serive, Dad walk me down that aisle and all that, so neither parent is going to marry us. That is the main reason we need to find a ceremony venue and officiate.
  • Options
    yuengling58yuengling58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    kas412kas412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the same sort of problem right now... looking for a church, brought up catholic but I'm not actively catholic anymore. We still want a religious/church ceremony though.  We're looking for something in the east pgh area (oakland, shadyside, etc...) since its between our parent's houses. So bummed that Heinz Chapel is booked on my date!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards