Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Final blessing question

After we finish the sand ceremony I would like for the whole congregation to say the final blessing (it will be written in the program):

___ and ______,
Now you will feel no rain,
For each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness,
For each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies,
But there is one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place,
To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.

Then the reverend will pronounce us as husband and wife.

Is this weird?  I just feel like its more meaningful to have people we actual know and care about, along with the reverend bless us.  Please let me know if this seems odd. TIA!

Re: Final blessing question

• Options
    I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios, but while it's lovely, but it's simply not true.  I've been very, very happily married for almost 33 years.  And despite an incredible marriage,  there have been times when I've "felt rain", "felt cold", been "lonely".  And I know my DH has felt the same.

Being married doesn't mean that problems cease to exist.  It means that you have someone to go through the problems with.

I'm sorry, but in your marriage, you will experience an entire gamut of emotions and experiences.  Some will be positive and wonderful.  Some will be challenging and painful.  Things happen. 

If you insist on including this "blessing" which is, IMO, more "happily ever after" fairy tale than an honest picture of marriage, I'd have the minister say it alone. Because, to be honest, I'd have a hard time saying it like I mean it. 

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I am a marriage and family therapist I know this...I was actually just asking for opinions on the structure not the content.  But thanks for you 2 cents.
  • Options
    I'd be weirded out if I was expected to recite this as part of a congregation. I'm also not a huge fan of the content, but since you aren't asking about that, I'd just let your officiant say it if you're set on it. 
  • Options
    Funny the other boards say let everyone read it...guess this board is slightly different.
  • Options
    It's really lengthy for a congregational reading. I feel like it would be awkward to try and stay together while reading all that aloud. My $0.02.
  • Options
    We had this as our final blessing; it's a traditional part of the Cherokee wedding ceremony, and DH is 1/4 Cherokee, so it was a nice way to honor his heritage.  I think it would be kind of disrespectful to include just because it sounds nice.

Way too long to have everyone recite together, though.  You're just going to have an incomprehensible din of everyone mumbling and trying to keep pace with each other.  Just have the officiant say it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Since i"m catholic I'm no stranger to the mass 'read this out of your book' prayer (I'm not talking about the prayers everyone knows, but like good friday mass when the whole congregation reads the part of "the people")

I'm sure your guests would be perfectly capable of reading in sync.  But I don't really see how having your guests recite it en masse will make it more meaningful.  If anything it will make it monotone...
  • Options
    OMG Trix, what a rude thing to say! Who are YOU!? You didn't even understand the question.

Anyway, I think that's a lovely idea. We considered the same reading ourselves. And I think having everyone read it together is incredibly communal. Marriage takes more than just two people--you need the support of friends and family. Asking them to ALL take part in the ceremony is a beautiful way to show that you believe in that.

Go for it!

(And ignore the old snarkies! Ha!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards