Chit Chat
Options

All about cake toppers-should I get one, did you get one, AW yours...

Do wedding cakes always have a topper? Would it be weird not to? I was planning to get a custom cake topper like this (though I have no idea why this groom isn't wearing pants):

However, we just selected our cake, and I'm not sure if a cake topper fits. 

Re: All about cake toppers-should I get one, did you get one, AW yours...

• Options
    We got a cute one, and had our cake baker add little fondant chickens to it.  What can I say, we like chickens.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_all-about-cake-toppers-should-i-get-one-did-you-get-one-aw-yours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:327a1f76-d312-4811-a081-c90b209ac5c1Post:2ed94e4e-2af1-49c8-8dad-0c28159604e7">Re: All about cake toppers-should I get one, did you get one, AW yours...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got a cute one, and had our cake baker add little fondant chickens to it.  What can I say, we like chickens.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>I love, love, LOVE this! I adore the cute little chickens. </div>
  • Options
    @Stage, that sounds lovely. I hope you will post it later if you come back to this thread.

@xcaly, your cake looks so pretty and perfect that I would feel sad having to cut into it.
  • Options
    We didn't have one.  Didn't miss it either.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    We didn't have one.  Our baker instead made a pretty bow out of fondant and put that on top.  
  • Options
    We had flowers on top of ours, otherwise wouldn't have bothered. I think with the cake you chose, a topper is not necessary.
  • Options
    I agree with PP that you don't need one - especially with your cake design! It looks beautiful without it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We had one, but it was pretty simple. 

Close up of the topper:
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We are using FI grandparents cake topper.  Not my style necessarily, but they were happily married for 30 years and after he passed she never so much as looked at another man for the last twenty because of how much she adored him.  It's a lovely sentiment.  Cake toppers are such a fun way to get insight into the couple.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    We want one, but ALL the cake people are either too dark, or too light.. Im black, but like a "tan" black person, with an odd hair color.. Its been impossible to find people without getting a completely custom, 150$ topper (which is insane to us)
  • Options
    We want one, but ALL the cake people are either too dark, or too light.. Im black, but like a "tan" black person, with an odd hair color.. Its been impossible to find people without getting a completely custom, 150$ topper (which is insane to us)
  • Options
    Your cake is lovely and certainly doesn't need a topper if you don't want one. All those flowers are definitely enough.

I was originally going to do the same but then FI and I saw this topper...
    FI proposed at Snow White's wishing well in Disneyland, so it's sentimental.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think you need one with the flowers.  They're pretty enough on their own.  

We had 2 surfboards for ours, made of sugar, since we were in Hawaii and our cake was a fun Hawaii themed cake.  

• Options
    Not an actual topper but the cake baker, drawing inspiration from my jewelry, created a sort of big golden sugar star and placed it on the side of the cake.
  • Options
    Your cake is beautiful! I agree with PP that a topper isn't necessary. 

Our cake is pretty simple, this is the inspiration but our cake will be 3 tiers, the ribbon and dots on the top tier will be black:

And this is the topper: 

• Options
    We are going to use a nice blingin A or our monogram as the cake topper.  You certainly don't have to have one, but if you want one I think something like that or the hearts would look better emerging out of the flowers rather than the couple figurines.  

Regardless, your cake design is beautiful!
  • Options
    We bought a Lego topper because we're obsessed with Legos.

• Options

We weren't going to have one but then I found a really cute set of owls on Etsy for only $25. I'm really glad we went with it in the end:

• Options
    I searched all over for one with a blonde groom and a brunette bride - apparently the world isn't ready for this just yet. I finally found one on amazon - I really wanted one that I could keep on display after the wedding, not something that would just end up in a box. Our cake was very simple, so the topper worked - but yours looks like it could go either way.
    (I just noticed that in the picture it looks like the groom is a redhead and the bride is a blonde, but really it doesn't look like that in person at all...)

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're just going to have flowers on top
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_all-about-cake-toppers-should-i-get-one-did-you-get-one-aw-yours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:327a1f76-d312-4811-a081-c90b209ac5c1Post:e52576fc-caae-4145-9632-c96a6ef03dca">Re: All about cake toppers-should I get one, did you get one, AW yours...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All about cake toppers-should I get one, did you get one, AW yours... : I love, love, LOVE this! I adore the cute little chickens. 
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks!  We had quite a few guests blink a few times at it, but if we're going to have something represent us, it has to have chickens running around at our feet.  I was even able to save them!</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I agree that some cakes just don't need a topper.  The one you posted has enough design elements that it would just be overkill.</div>
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    ahstillwell - I want to see your lego topper! That sounds awesome!

I bought peach paper flowers, and a mint green cake stand:

Peach Flower Cake Toppers (30)

10 inch cake stand in light mint green seafoam green
  • Options
    I made ours:

I think your cake looks great the way it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We just did flowers and I loved it.
  • Options
    We are doing a silver C on top of the cake. I just got it this weekend at Michaels on sale. The topper looks like this, but our cake will be different.
    http://www.michaels.com/Classic-Glam-Initial-Wedding-Cake-Topper/33753,default,pd.html?cgid=projects-wedding-2013trends&start=2

Our cake will be fairly simple though. We are doing fondant bands around the bottom of each layer, and the middle layer will have a fondant bow with a brooch in the center.

I don't think the cake you posted really needs a topper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm probably in the minority -- I usually am when it comes to stuff I like -- but I think cake toppers look a little bit outdated. But that's just me. I don't expect most people to agree with me on anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards