Chit Chat
Options

Would you say something?

I have a coworker who has a substance abuse problem.  The whole office knows as there was an incident at work with this individual at one point, and their work was reassigned while they were in detox.  This morning the coworker came into my office to speak to me briefly.  The person was shaking, red faced and smelled strongly of booze. 

I'm at a loss.  Would you say something to the individual, to a supervisor?  People have been mentioning it quite a bit amongst themselves since the person came to this bureau about a month ago.  I am just fearful that the coworker will hurt themself, or that something will happen.  What if the person leaves for lunch and gets in a car accident?  Falls down the stairs?  who knows. 

What would you do?

Re: Would you say something?

• Options
    I would tell my supervisor/manager that you suspect that person has been drinking.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-you-say-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:65331f17-1a08-49ab-beb6-e712405e0aaePost:f86f5fc6-ac4f-47fc-aada-83f3448f4451">Re: Would you say something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would tell my supervisor/manager that you suspect that person has been drinking.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>This. If you are not friends with this person outside of work, it is not your business to intervene. If you are, then intervene outside of work. Tell your supervisor, once, and let them deal with it.</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-you-say-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:65331f17-1a08-49ab-beb6-e712405e0aaePost:2ea37d08-ef6f-4d6e-884d-cd8eafafe01e">Re: Would you say something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you say something? : This. If you are not friends with this person outside of work, it is not your business to intervene. If you are, then intervene outside of work. Tell your supervisor, once, and let them deal with it.
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

Oh,  I should have mentioned that. . . . I am friendly to this person at work, we say hi, how are you.  In our previous, smaller bureau we would speak at different after work happy hours and functions.  Since the coworker has been in this larger bureau with me I have not seen the individual at anything but one happy hour.  We say hi, and that's about it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-you-say-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:65331f17-1a08-49ab-beb6-e712405e0aaePost:6199e482-d6fd-461c-ae88-28249523fce8">Re: Would you say something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you say something? : Oh,  I should have mentioned that. . . . I am friendly to this person at work, we say hi, how are you.  In our previous, smaller bureau we would speak at different after work happy hours and functions.  Since the coworker has been in this larger bureau with me I have not seen the individual at anything but one happy hour.  We say hi, and that's about it. 
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah. Saying something to the supervisor still stands, stay out of it outside of work. Perhaps throw in there 'This could be a liability issue' if it truly could.</div><div>
    </div><div>When I left my (now) exH, I couldn't find a different job and had to work in the same office with him for 3 months. Every day he came in late, reeked, looked like hell, hungover, etc. Everyone knew, but no one said anything. I finally stepped up to the boss and said something, and it got handled. Sometimes, people would prefer to turn a blind eye to not make waves. This may be the case in your place of work.</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I'd definitely say something to the supervisor.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    100% tell a supervisor.  All sorts of legal issues going on there...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The worst case scenario isn't him leaving for lunch and hurting himself. What if he leaves for lunch and kills a family? Could you live with your silence then? Only you know the answer.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-you-say-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:65331f17-1a08-49ab-beb6-e712405e0aaePost:a6c6bc12-df3d-49ad-93f3-ac2bed10bd0e">Re:Would you say something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The worst case scenario isn't him leaving for lunch and hurting himself. What if he leaves for lunch and kills a family? Could you live with your silence then? Only you know the answer.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

The concern is absolutely hurting themself and/or anyone else.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • Options
    Tell your supervisor.  I don't know where you work but there are too many potential liability issues for the employer not to be made aware immediately.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards