Chit Chat
Options

Storm chasing

So, I'm an avid storm chaser. My mom instilled it in my when I was little. If there was some sort of severe weather brewing, we'd head out towards it at the edge of town and watch. We never got too close, mind you. Since then, I've been hooked. I've almost been struck by lightning (not my choice, someone else was driving a car during a storm), and that threw me off of storm chasing for a couple of years.

This morning though, it looked terribly ominous and it was too calm outside. I can just sort of 'feel' when the weather gets strange and things start happening. I work outside of town already, and happened to be outside when a funnel cloud touched down!

I left my phone inside so I couldn't snap any pictures, but I got to see my first tornado of the season! Definitely an interesting morning already, and we're supposed to get snow tonight. Anyone else enjoy severe/crazy weather?
my blog - for the love of ein
'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81

Re: Storm chasing

• Options
    Yay! Where are you from? I can't see locations on mobile. We're getting severe weather too and I love it. People that arent from around here used to not believe me when I said the sky turns green. I used to work for a meteorologist here and loved it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:3e25b2b0-e883-40a2-b664-3d2c80aab363">Re:Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay! Where are you from? I can't see locations on mobile. We're getting severe weather too and I love it. People that arent from around here used to not believe me when I said the sky turns green. I used to work for a meteorologist here and loved it.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy cow I am super jealous. I really should have gone to school for meteorology. I'm in Amarillo, not too far from you. The pressure line has already moved past and now it's just windy and cold, but it was cool to see, especially so early in the season.</div><div>
    </div><div>PS: Congratulations on baby!!! I was creeping your blog yesterday :)</div>
  • Options
    Exciting! The closest I've been to chasing was having an EF4 tornado go about a mile west of town, but my workplace sheltered in place and of course I couldn't get away to go chase. I'm not sure I'd want to chase anything that big, anyway.
  • Options
    I like thunder storms and that's it for extreme weather. Other than that, I would prefer that I lived in snowless, humidityless perfection year round.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:d5a94703-e213-4a4a-b2bb-f9227c9f6036">Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I'm an avid storm chaser. My mom instilled it in my when I was little. If there was some sort of severe weather brewing, we'd head out towards it at the edge of town and watch. We never got too close, mind you. Since then, I've been hooked. I've almost been struck by lightning (not my choice, someone else was driving a car during a storm), and that threw me off of storm chasing for a couple of years. This morning though, it looked terribly ominous and it was too calm outside. I can just sort of 'feel' when the weather gets strange and things start happening. I work outside of town already, and happened to be outside when a funnel cloud touched down!<strong> I left my phone inside so I couldn't snap any pictures, but I got to see my first tornado of the season!</strong> Definitely an interesting morning already, and we're supposed to get snow tonight. Anyone else enjoy severe/crazy weather?
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

Pictures or it didn't happen ;p

I can't say that I "enjoy" severe weather, but I just said to BF last night "I can't wait for the first thunderstorm of the year".

Our weather people on local TV get so BSC over ANY thunderstorm, they act like the end of the world is happening so if I watch TV it's not enjoyable haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Storm chasing:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Storm chasing:Yay! Where are you from? I can't see locations on mobile. We're getting severe weather too and I love it. People that arent from around here used to not believe me when I said the sky turns green. I used to work for a meteorologist here and loved it.Posted by misshart00Holy cow I am super jealous. I really should have gone to school for meteorology. I'm in Amarillo, not too far from you. The pressure line has already moved past and now it's just windy and cold, but it was cool to see, especially so early in the season.PS: Congratulations on baby!!! I was creeping your blog yesterday : Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

Aw, thanks. I just feel all the sudden huge. Lol.

I could never do meteorology. I'm just not into that much math. But I do love storms. They wouldn't let me storm chase when I worked for the news station though because I was only 17 and their insurance wouldn't cover a minor. But I sat in that studio for hours watching stuff.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:60d10ea2-6cb4-4455-a70c-de70679e7c08">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Storm chasing : <strong>Pictures or it didn't happen ;p</strong> I can't say that I "enjoy" severe weather, but I just said to BF last night "I can't wait for the first thunderstorm of the year". Our weather people on local TV get so BSC over ANY thunderstorm, they act like the end of the world is happening so if I watch TV it's not enjoyable haha.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

<div>I was really mad. It was getting too cold too quick and the tail just barely brushed the ground otherwise I might have had time to run in. ;( Different regions definitions of severe weather really crack me up, especially since I've lived all over. Severe weather for southern CA is if the wind is blowing over 20 miles an hour and perhaps a rumble of thunder, and in upstate NY, severe weather is if the roof flies off your house or it dumps 2+ feet of snow. It's all interesting to me.</div>
  • Options
    I love thunderstorms too, especially down the shore. I think if I actually saw a tornado though or felt an earthquake tremor, I would be fascinated but completely terrified. I don't know how you mid-westerners/west coasters take that stuff so casually!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:bcca8a76-4f1a-4b36-80d1-c1757da020dd">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : I was really mad. It was getting too cold too quick and the tail just barely brushed the ground otherwise I might have had time to run in. ;( Different regions definitions of severe weather really crack me up, especially since I've lived all over. Severe weather for southern CA is if the wind is blowing over 20 miles an hour and perhaps a rumble of thunder,<strong> and in upstate NY, severe weather is if the roof flies off your house or it dumps 2+ feet of snow</strong>. It's all interesting to me.

We got 3' of snow a few months ago.  I called my parents (who live in upstate NY) and asked them how much snow they got.  Their reply "only two feet".  I'm like "ONLY???"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:c8b60ae5-b658-48c4-972d-ee744e631b8d">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love thunderstorms too, especially down the shore. I think if I actually saw a tornado though or felt an earthquake tremor, I would be fascinated but completely terrified. I don't know how you mid-westerners/west coasters take that stuff so casually!
    Posted by Salsera29[/QUOTE]

<div>;) I remember when I lived in CA 2 years ago I had coffee one morning with one hand while the other held up the TV, and my foot held up some novelty dishes on a shelf during a minor earthquake. You just..get used to it, I guess.</div><div>
    </div><div>and buddy - No kidding on the 'only' part. I called my grandma in Ithaca a few weeks ago and she was so casual 'Oh, I've been snowed in for 3 days now. I'm starting to be able to see out the tops of the windows though!'. W.T.F. People wonder why I left NY.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:3d82e82f-8503-4271-97b1-187543d9173e">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : ;) I remember when I lived in CA 2 years ago I had coffee one morning with one hand while the other held up the TV, and my foot held up some novelty dishes on a shelf during a minor earthquake. You just..get used to it, I guess. and buddy - No kidding on the 'only' part. I called my grandma in Ithaca a few weeks ago and she was so casual 'Oh, I've been snowed in for 3 days now. I'm starting to be able to see out the tops of the windows though!'. W.T.F. People wonder why I left NY.

<div>Haha that's awesome :-) We had a minor earthquake on the east coast a couple years ago, but somehow I missed it. My FB feed blew up, and I didn't feel anything. The ground is not supposed to shake! :-)</div><div>
    </div><div>We have family friends from Canada who now live in Jersey and they laugh their heads off at all of us every time we get a big snow storm and people freak out.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:c3098437-9c28-4d20-931c-eb4331694f97">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : Haha that's awesome :-) <strong>We had a minor earthquake on the east coast a couple years ago, but somehow I missed it</strong>. My FB feed blew up, and I didn't feel anything. The ground is not supposed to shake! :-) We have family friends from Canada who now live in Jersey and they laugh their heads off at all of us every time we get a big snow storm and people freak out.

Don't worry I missed it too.  I was walking down a stair well at work and thought it was my pager going off (yes my old job required the use of pagers lol) when I got to the floor the ceiling lamps were swinging.  I got back to my office and no one felt anything lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    My FI would love to be a storm chaser. I'm ok with just seeing pictures or videos. Earthquakes fascinate me though. There have been 2 here - the first one I slept through and the second everyone thought a big truck was going by. I was the only one who thought it was an earthquake and they called me crazy till they turned on the news :-D It wasn't a big earthquake by any means, but enough to put our doorframes out of whack.

MD is getting really whimpy - they close everything when only 6 inches of snow is called for. The last time we were supposed to get a "huge" snowstorm, we got nothing. Absolutely nothing. They like to get worked up over thunderstorms too. When the sky gets really dark and the birds stop singing, though, that's when I go to an inside room in the house because I'm a chicken like that :-)
  • Options
    Oh I am jealous! I love storms, and always have since growing up in South Dakota. You can't help but be awestruck by those huge mother clouds sweeping down the plains. I would love to stormchase some day, but I kind of think I need a sane partner who can say 'no' to me. I've almost been struck by lightening once and was exillerated, not terrified like a sane person. Kind of makes me think I shouldn't be in charge :p.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:3ff5bb60-1d4c-47a2-889f-28f3d458c007">Re:Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I am jealous! I love storms, and always have since growing up in South Dakota. You can't help but be awestruck by those huge mother clouds sweeping down the plains. I would love to stormchase some day, but I kind of think I need a sane partner who can say 'no' to me. I've almost been struck by lightening once and was exillerated, not terrified like a sane person. Kind of makes me think I shouldn't be in charge :p.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>It was exhilarating to me too, but when I look back at it, I should have been terrified. It stunned me, for a while. We almost wrecked. We were racing the storm home because it happened suddenly (one of those June storms that surprises you) and I was looking left. It struck about a hundred feet from me. My hearing went out, all my hair stood up, and everything around me went purple/white. We almost wrecked the car because it was like a flash grenade, we were all disoriented and yelling at each other, but no one could hear anything. Definitely a...rare experience for me.</div>
  • Options
    SO JEALOUS! 

Lived in Kansas for 2 years, and saw the sky turning green, but never saw anything touchdown.  Hidden by rooftops in the way.  Dumb things!

I missed the big one that rolled through Texas that wiped Jarrell off the map (F5).  I STILL tell my parents they're crazy for buying a house in Jarrell since TWICE tornados have touched down there and wiped things clean.  Their response is always "Well, that was on the OTHER side of the interstate."

Uh, then that means you're due, right?!

I looked into paying to do one of those 'storm chasing' tours, but MAN are they expensive!  :( 

So instead, when everyone's running inside because of severe weather, I'm running out into it! 

I might be made of sugar, but I don't melt in the rain. 
    (Or, wait..maybe it's bullsh|t I'm made of.  Something like that.)
  • Options
    TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:c3098437-9c28-4d20-931c-eb4331694f97">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : Haha that's awesome :-) We had a minor earthquake on the east coast a couple years ago, but somehow I missed it. My FB feed blew up, and I didn't feel anything. The ground is not supposed to shake! :-) We have family friends from Canada who now live in Jersey and they laugh their heads off at all of us every time we get a big snow storm and people freak out.

<div>I experienced the Great East Coast Earthquake - with TEN kids! I had to sit there and explain what an earthquake was, and finally one of the five-year-olds said "So... Court... is the Earth wiggling?" and yeah, that's what earthquakes are.</div><div>
    </div><div>Here, we get hurricanes every few years. My dad and I always go driving around during the storm to see the surge from the rivers and the beach, plus the sreet signs going crazy. Even better is when the tunnels flood - that's a sight to see.</div>
  • Options
    Yeah, I was really stupid, abd went jogging in a spring storm. It was wonderful until I got halfway through and heard something like a massive peice of wet cloth violently tearing above me. I was knocked on my butt, and lost my hearing for a moment. When I got it back, the car next to me had it's alarm going like crazy. I never figured out what got hit. I've never felt so alive, it was crazy and all I could do was laugh at myself and get home.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:40518f32-d168-464b-a34b-d445af61ef79">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : I experienced the Great East Coast Earthquake - with TEN kids! I had to sit there and explain what an earthquake was, and finally one of the five-year-olds said "So... Court... is the Earth wiggling?" and yeah, that's what earthquakes are. Here, <strong>we get hurricanes every few years</strong>. My dad and I always go driving around during the storm to see the surge from the rivers and the beach, plus the sreet signs going crazy. Even better is when the tunnels flood - that's a sight to see.
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Ugh hurricanes.  Hurricane Sandy was a bltch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:0d493cce-2851-404d-b43b-6a9373a87baf">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : Ugh hurricanes.  Hurricane Sandy was a bltch.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

<div>See, the NE got slammed AND they were just in general unprepared for a hurricane. Like, if the weatherman says the word "snow" on the newscast, everybody panics here and there's no bread or milk at the store and they close schools BEFORE SNOWFLAKES FALL. But hurricanes, we're like "meh, f*ck it." The worst was Isabel when we lost power for ten days, and Floyd where we didn't have running water for about a week.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:98b5b9bc-28ab-4862-aa22-f404ce177a04">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : See, the NE got slammed AND they were just in general unprepared for a hurricane. Like, if the weatherman says the word "snow" on the newscast, everybody panics here and there's no bread or milk at the store and they close schools BEFORE SNOWFLAKES FALL. But hurricanes, we're like "meh, f*ck it." The worst was Isabel when we lost power for ten days, and Floyd where we didn't have running water for about a week.

In my part of MD we didn't get anything for Sandy. Not even an unusally hard downpour. For Isabel we went to my grandparents and took all of our photos and everything with us (we live in the woods so we were afraid of a tree falling on the house. There have been a couple of close calls when there's rain followed by too much wind) but nothing happened. For Irene my friends and I had a hurricane party....we didn't get anything that night but in the morning a tree fell and smashed my car :-/ Irene was a biotch.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:98b5b9bc-28ab-4862-aa22-f404ce177a04">Re: Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storm chasing : See, the NE got slammed AND they were just in general unprepared for a hurricane. Like, if the weatherman says the word "snow" on the newscast, everybody panics here and there's no bread or milk at the store and they close schools BEFORE SNOWFLAKES FALL. But hurricanes, we're like "meh, f*ck it." The worst was Isabel when we lost power for ten days, and Floyd where we didn't have running water for about a week.

<div>
    </div><div>We got so lucky with Sandy, we only lost power for like 48 hours. The worst part of that storm is that in NJ and NY we WERE prepared, and we got destroyed anyway. There is just nothing they could have done to save some of those places. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_storm-chasing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69faab6f-755f-4b6d-b6d3-8751a6ea73ddPost:d5a94703-e213-4a4a-b2bb-f9227c9f6036">Storm chasing</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I'm an avid storm chaser. My mom instilled it in my when I was little. If there was some sort of severe weather brewing, we'd head out towards it at the edge of town and watch. We never got too close, mind you. Since then, I've been hooked. I've almost been struck by lightning (not my choice, someone else was driving a car during a storm), and that threw me off of storm chasing for a couple of years. This morning though, it looked terribly ominous and it was too calm outside. I can just sort of 'feel' when the weather gets strange and things start happening. I work outside of town already, and happened to be outside when a funnel cloud touched down! I left my phone inside so I couldn't snap any pictures, but I got to see my first tornado of the season! Definitely an interesting morning already, and we're supposed to get snow tonight. <strong>Anyone else enjoy severe/crazy weather?</strong>

<div>We got 2 snowstorms in the last 2 weeks or so, and it's supposed to snow again this weekend.  We're barely making it over freezing.  Normally by now most of the snow is gone, we're into double digit temperatures and we're just waiting for things to green up.  We're pretty sure there's no way we're starting the track and field unit in PE on time this year.  We probably won't be outside in class until at least May at the rate we're going.  :(</div><div>  </div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards