Chit Chat

Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?

FI and I want to move in the next 5-7 years and we're looking for the place to move to and want to take many trips to check them out. We are driving to FL for our honeymoon so I'm trying to stay in one of these areas on the way back.

We want a place without snow that sticks and without crazy humidity.

I was told the Ashville, NC area is perfect as a mountain climate that makes it not too humid but doesn't get much for snow either. I also here it's a bit crunchy granola which is fine.

Any experiences there or suggestions for other places?

ETA: Looking for East Coast (doesn't have to be near water)
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?

• Ashville is definitely granola, but if you like good beer it's a mecca for it. I strongly recommend at least driving through! Charlotte is also a very nice city in my opinion.

You may also consider Greenville, SC. BEAUTIFUL downtown, close to lakes and mountains. Check out www.Iwasblownaway.com.

I have lived in both Carolinas and Georgia in the past several years, but hail from New England. If you have any specific questions or other cities you want to discuss, just send me a PM!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:1a7e15be-9a52-4ea0-a258-f0d6d8e8bc63">Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I want to move in the next 5-7 years and we're looking for the place to move to and want to take many trips to check them out. We are driving to FL for our honeymoon so I'm trying to stay in one of these areas on the way back. We want a place without snow that sticks and without crazy humidity. I was told the Ashville, NC area is perfect as a mountain climate that makes it not too humid but doesn't get much for snow either. I also here it's a bit crunchy granola which is fine. Any experiences there or suggestions for other places?
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

<div>I lived in Charlotte for years and it is a wonderful city.  Not a lot of snow, short relatively mild winters, but the summers may be too hot for you.   I think you will want something close to the beach to cut down on the humidity, but I don't know if it is possible in the south.  :)</div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Hey I'm in SC if you want to ask any questions. Ashville would probably be best to beat the humidity. We still have hot and humid days here in the Upstate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:4ea5ceea-6172-495e-80f6-a1fbe8f5b754">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The SF bay area.  It's perfect.  ;)
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

It IS perfect. I lived in Petaluma and Novato for a few years. I went outside and was thankful daily for the amazing weather. I went camping in February and slept on top of the sleeping bag... I seriously hated moving back east. But I will probably never move west again because of my family. So sad....... i miss it terribly there.  I have really close friends in Novato that I see about once a year though.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:37fc1a38-36f5-4a66-ae1f-28ad965ff3c7">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ashville is definitely granola, but if you like good beer it's a mecca for it. I strongly recommend at least driving through! Charlotte is also a very nice city in my opinion. You may also consider Greenville, SC. BEAUTIFUL downtown, close to lakes and mountains. Check out <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.Iwasblownaway.com.">www.Iwasblownaway.com.</a> I have lived in both Carolinas and Georgia in the past several years, but hail from New England. If you have any specific questions or other cities you want to discuss, just send me a PM!
    Posted by lisabeats[/QUOTE]

Ah, good resource then. You know where I'm coming from. I want to be able to go outside in the summer and the winter... you know?  I feel like I miss half my life here indoors and I dislike extremes. I don't mind heat...so CA was great in the 90s even... It's the humidity that I can't handle, I get asthma.

I' only heard of Greenville because there used to be an airline there that had really cheap tickets from NH to there but they went out of business. I will look up that and the website. thanks!

ETA: Is Charlotte Ok humidity wise too? My friend wanted me to live there when I was in college. He said I'd love it.  He said that places I would be happy in would be Burlington, VT, San Francisco, Seattle and Charlotte ( he hadn't been to Ashville)
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:84401a5e-f7f3-433d-b734-928bced06a28">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places? : It IS perfect. I lived in Petaluma and Novato for a few years. I went outside and was thankful daily for the amazing weather. I went camping in February and slept on top of the sleeping bag... I seriously hated moving back east. But I will probably never move west again because of my family. So sad....... i miss it terribly there.  I have really close friends in Novato that I see about once a year though.

I work in SF and live in Oakland. The east bay and north bay are the most perfect for weather, but not if you go too far east or north. Then it gets tooooo damned hot.   If I go through the tunnel to Walnut Creek (which I rarely do, because I don't much care for the burbs), it's 85-95 degrees in the summer and I feel like I'm melting !
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My only thing to add Asheville wise... My BFF went to college out there and said they get A LOT of rain. Mild winters comparatively...just be prepared for quite a few gloomy rainy days. As long as that isn't going to bother you too much (she loved the climate btw) then I say go for it. Asheville is extra crunchy (I think this is a plus personally) but they have a great downtown, an awesome food culture, and you're not too far from major cities like Atlanta to the southwest or the NC beach and barrier islands to the east. Both great places for weekend trips. :)

• lisabeatslisabeats member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:319fcd99-ca1e-4e3d-9eca-a2a9e995ca60">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places? : Ah, good resource then. You know where I'm coming from. I want to be able to go outside in the summer and the winter... you know?  I feel like I miss half my life here indoors and I dislike extremes. I don't mind heat...so CA was great in the 90s even... It's the humidity that I can't handle, I get asthma. I' only heard of Greenville because there used to be an airline there that had really cheap tickets from NH to there but they went out of business. I will look up that and the website. thanks! ETA: Is Charlotte Ok humidity wise too? My friend wanted me to live there when I was in college. He said I'd love it.  He said that places I would be happy in would be Burlington, VT, San Francisco, Seattle and Charlotte ( he hadn't been to Ashville)

Charlotte will probably me more humid than Asheville, but comparitively not as bad as other places. It is still pretty close to mountains, and has a lake just outside city limits. Humidity can be really hard to guage by averages, etc., because they're calculated differently. A lot of these places have extremes as far as highs for humidity, but that tends to be early in the day, and it burns off as the day goes on. I fully support you taking vacays there! Not to mention, Greenville and Charlotte are only an hour away from each other on I-85, and Asheville is not far away, the three basically form a little triangle. They can all easily be visited in one trip.

Greenville has grown a LOT in the past ~20 years or so. They've pumped a lot of money into it being a nice place to live. In all honesty, I'm surprised you HAVE heard of it, since there's not a whole lot there for tourists.

And I fully agree about wanting to be outside! This will be my first summer in AR, and I'm dreading it. Currently, the weather is perfect, but come July it'll be 100+ and lots of humidity. What's the point!? I think if you made a trip to any of these cities during the peak of the summer, you'd see the "worst" of it, and can guage for yourself from there. However, I'll admit that my allergies and asthma have adjusted and become a lot more bearable the more time I spend down here.

At the end of the day, I'd rather be on the beach!
  • My sister got married in Asheville last June, and we really enjoyed our week there. The views were amazing, the weather was gorgeous, the city was clean and people were very friendly. I would love to go back and see more of the city, go to the Biltmore, drive more of the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

The Pisgah Blueberry Wheat beer that I had was to die for and I know that if I bribe J with a trip to the local breweries, we'll get back to Asheville sooner than we were planning to.
  • Whoever told you it doesn't snow in Asheville LIED. They had snow, hmm... I think less than two weeks ago? Though they get less compared to, say, Boone. It's also one of the most liberal areas and is heavy on art and culture.

Greenville is super hot and humid in the summer. I lived there for a couple years. And I'm confused by the poster saying it's an hour from Charlotte. Um, maybe you're thinking of Greenville, SC? Greenville, NC is an hour or two east of Raleigh and an hour or two west of the beach and has no direct route to Charlotte.

Charlotte has bad traffic and is AFAIK the city with the most violence in the whole state.

I'm partial to the Piedmont area (where I grew up and live now) and to the Triad (Greensboro/High Point), which is not to be confused with the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Greensboro is my absolute favorite and I miss living there. It's a good size, good weather, lots to do. Theatre, science center, Emerald Pointe water park, close to the zoo, etc.

The Outer Banks are worth a look, too, though not a lot of people live there year-round. Nice weather if you don't mind the yearly hurricane season.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:e0b47313-953f-46cc-8cf9-d0e8c42c35a5">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoever told you it doesn't snow in Asheville LIED. They had snow, hmm... I think less than two weeks ago? Though they get less compared to, say, Boone. It's also one of the most liberal areas and is heavy on art and culture. Greenville is super hot and humid in the summer. I lived there for a couple years. <strong>And I'm confused by the poster saying it's an hour from Charlotte. Um, maybe you're thinking of Greenville, SC?</strong> Greenville, NC is an hour or two east of Raleigh and an hour or two west of the beach and has no direct route to Charlotte. Charlotte has bad traffic and is AFAIK the city with the most violence in the whole state. I'm partial to the Piedmont area (where I grew up and live now) and to the Triad (Greensboro/High Point), which is not to be confused with the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Greensboro is my absolute favorite and I miss living there. It's a good size, good weather, lots to do. Theatre, science center, Emerald Pointe water park, close to the zoo, etc. The Outer Banks are worth a look, too, though not a lot of people live there year-round. Nice weather if you don't mind the yearly hurricane season.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

Yes, just FYI, I had previously referenced Greenville SC, and was continuing to discuss it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ashville-nc-southerly-not-crazily-humid-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e1121089-1be7-499d-bd65-f7e7b9d72d4fPost:e0b47313-953f-46cc-8cf9-d0e8c42c35a5">Re: Ashville, NC / Southerly not crazily humid places?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoever told you it doesn't snow in Asheville LIED. They had snow, hmm... I think less than two weeks ago? Though they get less compared to, say, Boone. It's also one of the most liberal areas and is heavy on art and culture. Greenville is super hot and humid in the summer. I lived there for a couple years. And I'm confused by the poster saying it's an hour from Charlotte. Um, maybe you're thinking of Greenville, SC? Greenville, NC is an hour or two east of Raleigh and an hour or two west of the beach and has no direct route to Charlotte. Charlotte has bad traffic and is AFAIK the city with the most violence in the whole state. I'm partial to the Piedmont area (where I grew up and live now) and to the Triad (Greensboro/High Point), which is not to be confused with the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Greensboro is my absolute favorite and I miss living there. It's a good size, good weather, lots to do. Theatre, science center, Emerald Pointe water park, close to the zoo, etc. The Outer Banks are worth a look, too, though not a lot of people live there year-round. Nice weather if you don't mind the yearly hurricane season.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

I was told mild winters and that the snow doesn't stick much. A month and a half ago, one storm alone brought me 5 feet of snow in one day. So if it's mild, I don't even care. I just can't deal with a lifetime of not being able to enjoy seasons anymore...and FI uses a wheelchair which just really sucks for him no manuever in the winter.  Greensboro and Outer banks - not bad for humidity either?

I'm compiling a list to go over with FI tonight.
    image   imageimage

• I can't speak for the Outer Banks, but I can't imagine that it isn't humid in Greensboro. It's crazy humid here, and Greensboro's not that far away. I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity. It's coming ...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I should post a poll. haha
    image   imageimage

• It's not humid in Greensboro, IMO. Warm in the summer, yes, but not particularly humid. I sweated my butt off walking to and from my last summer session of classes to finish my degree there, but that was because I was walking 20ish minutes on pavement. It's better off-campus where there's shade and grass instead of cement and brick everywhere.
    And the Outer Banks area almost always has a nice breeze going on. For specific places, I've been to Manteo/Dare County (technically not on the OBX), Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kittyhawk, Corolla, and Duck (pricey golf area, so you might not want to live there). All of those are from about the middle of the OBX and northwards; I haven't really been to the more southerly parts recently like Hatteras.
  • I think people associate heat with humidity. People make fun of me when I say "but it's a dry heat" but it's seriously different

Ok, thanks for the specifics. I'll check some of those out. Im going to look at real estate just to get an idea too
    image   imageimage

• I've been to Asheville a few times for trainings and will be there this weekend to speak. I love it! I can't say much about their overall weather because Im only there a few times, but even on a couple gloomy days that we were there, it wasn't horrible. There is also a LOT of personality to their downtown life. People were very friendly, lots of great places to eat and things to do (especially if you like the outdoors). 

From where I'm at, it's about a 4 hour drive (Raleigh area), but even that drive isn't too bad because it's mostly straight. So, if you were to move there and wanted to visit the beach, it wouldn't be that long of a trip, depending on which beach you wanted to visit. 

If you're thinking about moving there, but aren't sure, I would suggest visiting at least once. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah we have a 5-7 year plan so we figure we spent one vacation a year visiting the areas at different times of the year.

This has been very helpful, the Raleigh area is on our way home. Asheville is hours off our path so it was hard to justify.

Raleigh area isn't that humid?

I gotta look at a map
    image   imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards