Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Vera Wang "Black" Tuxedos for "Big" Groomsmen?

I am in love with the Vera Wang Black Collection grey tuxedos from Men's Wearhouse.  However, the woman at the store told me that this particular tux is a slim-fit, ala Daniel Craig's suits in the most recent Bond flicks.

The problem is that several of the guys in the wedding party are big boys...300-325 pounds.  I am worried #1 that they won't be comfortable in the slim fit style, and #2 that it won't look right on them.  My hope is that as long as they are the right size that they will be accomodating for the fellas, but there is no way for them to try the style on before we commit!

Has anyone chosen the "Black" collection tux and had larger guys in their wedding party?  What did you think? 

If anyone has pictures that would be even betterLaughing

Re: Vera Wang "Black" Tuxedos for "Big" Groomsmen?

• Options
    My fiance is very tall, so we were worried about finding him the right tux. We ended up going with a local shop where he could try on tuxes before committing. The pricing was better than at MW too. 
  • Options
    I went with the "Black" collection but didn't have larger guys in my wedding party. I would recommend calling in to your local men's wearhouse and asking about the sizing for that specific line (I'm sure they carry larger sizes, but I'm not sure how large). 

Also, see if they have try on coats in a variety of styles so your guys can do a try on coat to see if they are comfortable in slimmer styles. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I would try to find somewhere you can get the guys to try on different styles and see what works best for them. Just like with your wedding dress, it's one thing to like a style on a model, but another thing to try it on yourself. You wouldn't want to commit to your wedding dress without trying it on... why make the guys do it that way?
  • Options
    have them all go to mw and hjave them try on the different style tuxs you may like this line but once you see it on everyone it may look bad. you want your pictures of you your girls and your husband and his party to looke amazing hot.
  • Options
    We are getting the grey vera wang tux as well.  My FI and his groomsmans loved it, so we went with it.  It was a bummer they couldn't try it on in the store, but they did have jackets for them to try on for fitting.  You'll have to see what sizes they come in; have your FI go to the store to at least try a jacket so he can get an idea. If he can't, I wouldn't chance it.  Yes, it is a nice tux, but PPs are correct that it may not look right if they guy is not used to the fitted style. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    My FI is very slim and tall, so I was hoping he would be able to go with that collection. I love the style and it would really flatter him, but he wanted to match his groomsmen. And no, it would not look good on the bigger guys. We have two that are just muscular, buff guys and it would look so small on them. Even in the "right" size, as PP said the narrow cut will just make it look like a kid's tux. Sorry, I know it's a bummer...
  • Options
    My fiance was an usher in his sister's wedding in Tampa FL two weeks ago.  He wore the Vera Wang black tuxedo in black.  He is 5'10 and just over 200 lbs.  The tux looked great.  Around $250 per person for the rental at Men's Warehouse.  My fiance was the largest of the men wearing the tux but it fit just fine.  I think tux jackets and vests in general are slimming (black more so than gray) He was able to get measured near us in Charlotte NC at the Men's Warehouse and the correct sizes were ready for him when he arrived in Tampa.  Realistically, the groomsmen will be happy to be there to celebrate with you.  If they are 300 lbs or "bigger guys", they will be bigger guys no matter what style of suit.. Also, (side note): my fiance hates suits.  He did not want one minute of being in that suit but he wore it for his sister.  He had a great time, and enjoyed himself.  Your groomsmen will do the same!  Good luck and have fun!!
  • Options
    ScMOBScMOB member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    My daughter had the grey tuxes for her wedding in August in Charleston. 
    Her husband is a bigger guy and looked very handsome in it!!  They were a
    very nice, light weight material which was nice because of the heat.  I
    disagree with some of the posters saying you'll look back and regret the grey
    tuxedos.  I think they were very classic and elegant, perfect for the venue
    and were very comfortable!
    Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards