Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

PA marriage license

hi all - I'm out of state, planning a wedding in the 'burgh in October. I know that there's a 3 day waiting period  and I read that you have to apply in person with both parties present. after the 3 days do you go pick it up? the Alleghany court site said to allow 2 weeks for mailing...

i also saw on a different site that you can write a request to waive the 3 day waiting period. has anyone ever done this before?

thanks for the help!

Re: PA marriage license

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey,
      We are from out of state as well and just went this past week to get our license.  After the 3 days you can pick it up or else you can have them mail it to you.  They said they will actually mail it on the 3rd day, so we should receive it a week after we applied.  Or, if you have a relative in the Pittsburgh area they can actually pick it up for you (show ID).  I do not know if you can get the 3 days waived or not.  You do have to apply with both you and your FI being there.  Make sure if you are going you are there before 4-they close at 4:30 but won't take anyone after 4 (we got there at 3:59 and they made a big deal out of it)
    HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, 

We applied the Monday before our Saturday wedding (Friday was a holiday, so the office was closed.)  I called the office like 52 times to make sure that it would be okay if we didn't come in until the week of - our schedules just didn't allow it any sooner and we were also OOT.  

The woman that processed us said she would "rush" it, even though we had enough time.  My dad was able to pick it up for us (since he works downtown) on Wednesday.  It was a source of stress for me before the wedding and everything worked perfectly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we applied for it and then just had them mail it to us, it didn't cost anything more and even though we work in town..it was just easier this way. i think it showed up within a week. and the envelope they mailed it in was a handy way for me to keep it all together and safe! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you can't get the 3 day waiting period waived.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on the county, some waive the 3-day waiting period.  Philadelphia County no longer has the waiting period.  We walked in and out with our license the same day, all within 15 minutes of getting to city hall (we live in Philly, but were married in Pgh).  But, I agree with the others, if you are going to get it in Allegheny County, just have it mailed to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I applied for mine really far in advance, like 45+ days in advance (I think it is good for 60). It was the only time we could do it due to my DH's work schedule.

I then drove down and picked it up, but mailing would have probably been a better option. I just didn't think of it.

Waiving the three day waiting period in Allegheny County would be for like military weddings, etc, right? I *thought* (and could be totally wrong) that you had to go before a judge to do this.

I'd just plan on making a trip to Pittsburgh (or heck, to anywhere in PA if it is closer to you to just go across the border) sometime in September or October, leaving enough time. HTH!
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm in California, and there's no trips back to PA planned before the wedding, so mailing is not an option - we just don't have the time.

We're going to be there for the week before the wedding taking care of all the last minute things, so we'll do it first thing, and I'll pick it up after the 3 days.

Thank you all so much for the advice!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got my license this morning!  It's still about 6-7 weeks early, but my situation is the same as kwynn- this is the only time that worked out for FI and I to both fly back at the same time.

I've heard conflicting reports about getting the 3-day waiting period waived.  I would just give them a call to ask if that is possible- the website for Allegheny County with phone number is here:

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/wo/plan.aspx

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the link, LaFemme!
  • Options
    laliellalaliella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in FL, I had "heard/read" on a website that you could mail in a request to make an acception.. I did. They kindly wrote me back saying that they do not make acceptions under any circumstances and both parties have to be present. They even mailed me back the application and copies of licenses, etc. that I had mailed them because they said "there was nothing they could do with it."

So, unfortunately I think you will have to both be present.
    My fiance will be flying into Pittsburgh on Wed. night, we will go apply on Thursday, it will get picked up by a family member on Monday or Tuesday, and then the officiant said they would not have a problem signing it late on Tuesday.

lali
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards