Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ideas for Reception at Home

I am having my ceremony at a beautiful little chapel here in Las Vegas. My FI and I decided for personal reasons that we want to have our reception at our house. It's not a lavish affair, just a small ceremony with our close friends and family. I plan to make everything as beautiful as possible as I believe atmosphere is important. So my question to y'all is: If you were to hold/attend such a reception, what would you do/like to see? Keep in mind I live in Las Vegas, so my backyard is tiny and consists of dirt & rock landscaping as well as cinderblock fences.

Re: Ideas for Reception at Home

• Options
    Good food and drink :-)
  • Options
    Ditto Joy.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ditto Joy plus enough seating for every butt.
  • Options

Food, plenty of bathrooms to accomodate quests (if you have a septic tank depending on # of guests you will need to get it cleaned out before and after event or rent portable unit), some lightening if it will go into evening, shelter from bright sun if mid-day or possible rain ( not sure how often you get rain in Vegas), tables, chairs.

• Options
    A fun centerpiece can add nice decorations without being expensive.  Even if you're not having a plated/seated dinner, have centerpieces on food and dessert tables, gift table (if you have one), and other places.  My guests really liked the persoanl touches I had at my reception...the things that drove me crazy but made everything come together.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    Thanks for the input! We are doing a mix of Korean food and southern food as a nod to our backgrounds, so we will have lots of delicious food. As for decor, I'm going to order white roses from Costco. The only thing that is bugging me is the chairs! The party store near my house rents them for $1.50 a chair but they are folding plastic, and ugly as sin. My living room furniture consists of a couch and a loveseat so I definitely need more seating.
  • Options
    No one will care what the chairs look like as long as they're sturdy and not uncomfortable. What did the chairs look like at the last wedding you went to? I sure don't remember, and I doubt you do.
  • Options
    We're planning on doing the same thing- small civil ceremony with close family & friends in January, then a backyard reception/open house in the spring- and I'm planning on just food, fun and family/friends.  We're putting out lots of chairs & tables, maybe hooking up the iPod to some speakers outside.  No frills, just celebrating with the people we love.  Isn't that what a reception is supposed to be about?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    artbyallie - Good point! Gotta stop getting caught up in the little details.
    Leahzc - MTE! The ceremony is the most important part of the day to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards