Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Maid of Honor Low Blows

So, you invited your sibling/frenemy etc. to be your maid of honor. OR even better, they voluntold you that they were going to be your maid of honor.. But then you find out that hey.. they really don't want anything to do with your wedding or even better, just don't want to make any efforts beyond showing up. Let's hear the worst things you've had a Maid of Honor do.. whether it be losing the dress, passing out at the wedding, etc.

Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows

• Options
    kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    This sounds like a journalist fishing..

ETA: Journalists searching for interviews or stories is against the TOS and you will be banned, if you are.

Double ETA: All a bridal party has to do is show up. So any other 'effort' is above and beyond. 
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I don't know if this is a journalist or not, but I'm going to start using the word "voluntold" all the time now.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The worst thing my Maid of Honor did was violently slaughter a vagabond journalist, with her own quill pen, when she tried to crash my wedding.  I really hate to see a perfectly good quill pen go to waste.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Speaking as a journalist, if this is a journo, you're a really crappy one. Also, no decent publication would allow sources culled from a message board like this there are no real names required, you have no way to verify anything we tell you, and we're scattered all over, so we're not local to your publication. If you are fishing for sources/stories, there are better ways to do it than this.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:1b9a39d8-a5af-4ab3-a5b3-99dadbb28ea6">Re:Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking as a journalist, if this is a journo, you're a really crappy one. Also, no decent publication would allow sources culled from a message board like this there are no real names required, you have no way to verify anything we tell you, and we're scattered all over, so we're not local to your publication. If you are fishing for sources/stories, there are better ways to do it than this.
    Posted by lemclane[/QUOTE]

<div>You'd be surprised! A writer from Marie Claire/Vogue went to the NEY board and when I told her off, she posted my full name and address on the board. She was reputable, but way in the wrong. THAT was fun.</div>
  • Options
    ... audibly giggling at the fact that I post a question and somehow I'm automatically a journalist? That's a funny joke. I was going to start with my own story, but I'm at work and apparently don't update things fast enough to keep up with the board trolls. My Maid of Honor not only voluntold herself for the position, but also said " I hope you don't want a Bachelorette/Wedding Shower, because I don't feel like planning one for you." A few months later she came to some kind of revelation and decided she wanted to throw one, to which I'm thinking "Awesome, wasn't a huge ordeal to me but I'm super thankful anyways.." She follows up the week after the shower and sends me an email detailing the exact costs of the shower. All the way down to taxi fares and napkin costs.. not asking to be reimbursed but rather tagging the end with "Just an FYI." 
  • Options
    it sounds like a guy immitating how a woman would talk.
    or a bad douche commercial.

So, you're not feeling that fresh today.Tried a shower. Tried a cream. What else did you try to give your self that fresh as a daisy feeling today?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:876eee30-ef04-4ba8-8fb8-e04c85b6dd7d">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]... audibly giggling at the fact that I post a question and somehow I'm automatically a journalist? That's a funny joke. I was going to start with my own story, but I'm at work and apparently don't update things fast enough to keep up with the board trolls. My Maid of Honor not only voluntold herself for the position, but also said " I hope you don't want a Bachelorette/Wedding Shower, because I don't feel like planning one for you." A few months later she came to some kind of revelation and decided she wanted to throw one, to which I'm thinking "Awesome, wasn't a huge ordeal to me but I'm super thankful anyways.." She follows up the week after the shower and sends me an email detailing the exact costs of the shower. All the way down to taxi fares and napkin costs.. not asking to be reimbursed but rather tagging the end with "Just an FYI." 
    Posted by JenniRH87[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No. She was laughing at something funny that Addie posted.</div><div>
    </div><div>Voluntold is not a word.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry about your MOH. That sucks.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:876eee30-ef04-4ba8-8fb8-e04c85b6dd7d">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]... audibly giggling at the fact that I post a question and somehow I'm automatically a journalist? That's a funny joke. I was going to start with my own story, but I'm at work and apparently don't update things fast enough to keep up with the board trolls. My Maid of Honor not only voluntold herself for the position, but also said " I hope you don't want a Bachelorette/Wedding Shower, because I don't feel like planning one for you." A few months later she came to some kind of revelation and decided she wanted to throw one, to which I'm thinking "Awesome, wasn't a huge ordeal to me but I'm super thankful anyways.." She follows up the week after the shower and sends me an email detailing the exact costs of the shower. All the way down to taxi fares and napkin costs.. not asking to be reimbursed but rather tagging the end with "Just an FYI." 
    Posted by JenniRH87[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you just post this to begin with? Your first post sounds like a journalist looking for a story. And PP was responding to the picture.....so.....yeah.....

Why didn't you say anything other than, "I'm still thinking about my WP" or something similar when your now MOH "voluntold" you that she would be your MOH. I think I read "frenemy" earlier so I don't understand why you accepted your frenemy as your MOH. Decline the shower. If there are other friends you'd like in your BP, ask them. And your MOH doesn't have to throw a shower or the b-party - anyone can.
  • Options
    I feel like "trolls" is the new "bullying." People are so loosie goosie with the term. BTW OP, the term you are looking for is "old married hags whose husbands I feel sorry for."
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I would never allow someone to voluntell me they were going to be in my wedding party. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I once had a BM sleep with my husbands, but it's cool now, I ate her with a good chianti and fava beans.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I could see that, Pele. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:e0e33ec0-c3e0-4784-8d8c-43438cf68422">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like "trolls" is the new "bullying." People are so loosie goosie with the term. BTW OP, the term you are looking for is <strong>"old married hags whose husbands I feel sorry for."</strong>
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel excluded. Dammit gimme a few weeks I'M WORKING ON MY HAGDOM</div>
  • Options

Not to brag, but my MOH was awesome. So there :)

photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:450ab095-f589-419a-a5bc-fc6cfca394fb">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows : I feel excluded. Dammit gimme a few weeks I'M WORKING ON MY HAGDOM
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

It's ok, Court, I just hit mine. I'm still waiting for the next "you're married, why are you even here???" post. Maybe that will come after you join hagdom
  • Options
    This thread actually had me laughing out loud. 

I'm just curious Jessicadall, if you're married why are you still here? TOTALLY KIDDING

:P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:a81da747-a205-41d2-9f5c-f9db1c385141">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows : No. She was laughing at something funny that Addie posted. <strong>Voluntold is not a word</strong>. Sorry about your MOH. That sucks.
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sorry KM, I had to laugh,.  Voluntold is a pretty popular term in the military.  I've was voluntold to do things quite often.  Have to admit it is a favorite.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:3532ec21-d8cb-4338-9882-75592725a6a7">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows : Sorry KM, I had to laugh,.  Voluntold is a pretty popular term in the military.  I've was voluntold to do things quite often.  Have to admit it is a favorite.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's funny, I just was trying to be petty (oh KG's please no bans here!). I could see absolutely why it would be a favored military term.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:a61c1d9a-b66e-428c-8b92-95faadf2fd0b">Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, you invited your sibling/frenemy etc. to be your maid of honor. OR even better, they voluntold you that they were going to be your maid of honor.. But then you find out that hey.. they really don't want anything to do with your wedding or even better, just don't want to make any efforts beyond showing up. Let's hear the worst things you've had a Maid of Honor do.. whether it be losing the dress, passing out at the wedding, etc.

<div>Also, JIC with the way today is going.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:6868eef9-48c5-488e-9495-f0f7a3a493b0">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]This thread actually had me laughing out loud.  I'm just curious Jessicadall, if you're married why are you still here? TOTALLY KIDDING :P
    Posted by AllieBear725[/QUOTE]

<3 AllieBear
  • Options
    MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I dunno...I vote we give her "something" to write about.

Like....fer realz. My MOH hurt me wicked bad. She's only in my wedding because she's my boyfriend's sister (he's going to propose to me on my birthday in July to make it official, but I'm a wicked planner. Doesn't hurt to start early!) So, My wedding is in 2015 and when I got all my girls together to look at dresses in January, she actually told me it was a bad idea to look because she wasn't ready to buy a dress for 2 years away.  SERIOUSLY? All we were doing was LOOKING. They won't have to purchase for at least a year. She actually refused to come. I also thought it would be fun to spend a day together getting our hair done and nails done, kind of a "trial" session and she told me she didn't want to spend the money now. She also said she would do her own hair and nails for the wedding itself.  Um... she knew when she agreed to be my MOH that she was going to be responsible financially for some things. *I* want her hair done nicely so that she doesn't look like Raggedy Ann. Would it hurt so much to put a little effort in? Especially since she's going to be my sister in law?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:a61c1d9a-b66e-428c-8b92-95faadf2fd0b">Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, you invited your sibling/<strong>frenemy</strong> etc. to be your maid of honor. OR even better, they voluntold you that they were going to be your maid of honor.. 

<div>If you still have a frenemy, you are too immature to get married.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:d78a0e41-1ad5-48e8-a3bf-40f16d138f1c">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows : audibly giggling.
    Posted by mrskaiser22[/QUOTE]

Me too :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Maid of Honor Low Blows:[QUOTE]She slept wtih both of your husbands, Pele? nbsp;That wh0re. Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Seriously! I mean, hello why do you think I got two of them? I needed a backup in case one was defective, and she slept with BOTH! It's a good thing Johnny Depp is so pretty, or he'd be kicked to the curb.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:35b3ab71-ae3c-4941-a6c6-7caa43e74234">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dunno...I vote we give her "something" to write about. Like....fer realz. My MOH hurt me wicked bad. She's only in my wedding because she's my boyfriend's sister (he's going to propose to me on my birthday in July to make it official, but I'm a wicked planner. Doesn't hurt to start early!) So, My wedding is in 2015 and when I got all my girls together to look at dresses in January, she actually told me it was a bad idea to look because she wasn't ready to buy a dress for 2 years away.  SERIOUSLY? All we were doing was LOOKING. They won't have to purchase for at least a year. She actually refused to come. I also thought it would be fun to spend a day together getting our hair done and nails done, kind of a "trial" session and she told me she didn't want to spend the money now. She also said she would do her own hair and nails for the wedding itself.  Um... she knew when she agreed to be my MOH that she was going to be responsible financially for some things. *I* want her hair done nicely so that she doesn't look like Raggedy Ann. Would it hurt so much to put a little effort in? Especially since she's going to be my sister in law?
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OMG... how could you possibly still get married? Your day is totes ruined!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_maid-of-honor-low-blows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1323c368-0a1b-437a-8188-ec85a2f933fcPost:d82937f7-54b3-4f87-8eb5-2e3dd0eb4b9d">Re: Maid of Honor Low Blows</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Maid of Honor Low Blows : If you still have a frenemy, you are too immature to get married.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

You said it, I didn't ... but I really wish I could claim the credit!

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    OP, you two need to talk this out. Why did she detail out the costs? What brought that on?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards