Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Honoring deceased niece

My 7 year old niece was killed 2 years ago and was the only child on my side of the family so she was a huge part of our everyday lives. She would have been a huge part of my wedding day. I am having a hard time finding a way to honor her and not make it a sad point of the day. I feel that the candle, and playing a song, and such are more geared towards adults who have died.

Any ideas for remembering a child on that day in a unique way.

Re: Honoring deceased niece

• Options
    I've heard that they make little picture frames you can put on your bouquet. I think that it would be very sweet if you put her picture in your bouquet. Also you could put a flower on the alter in memory of her. Only your family would know so it wouldn't seem morbid to the other guests. I wouldn't do anything too big because this is supposed to be a happy day for you and your family. Its so sad that your niece can't share it with you but I'm sure she would want you to be happy on your wedding day, not dwell on a sadness in your life.

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'd also make anything about your precious niece personal:  her photo in your bouquet is a lovely idea. Or perhaps an angel pin somewhere pinned to your dress or attached to your flowers~maybe even a hair clip with an angel on it.

I don't think I'd do anything public or pronounced.  The loss of a child is devastating, and something a parent never completely recovers from.  I'm afraid that anything public would be so hard on your family.

Something small and personal will remind you of her, but not dampen the joy of your wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Maybe forget me nots, as seed packets, for a favor.

Or, you could do one of those things where you plant trees in her name, donate to a shelter- something she was into, then at the card table put something like

In honor of our niece, Name, we have donated to xyz in her memory. Although she's no longer with us, we know she's celebrating with us in heaven.."

Or something to that effect, depending on your beliefs.
  • Options
    My FI's son from a previous relationship died when he was 7 months old. He was very much a part of our lives and to honor him I have made a keychain with a snowman charm on it. He loved stuffed snowmen toys because he could chew on their noses. This keychain will go in my bouquet and only the closest family will know it's there. I'm also doing something similar with a 4-wheeler charm for my cousin who passed away a few years ago as well.

After the ceremony and reception, the charm for FI's son will go into a scrapbook we had made for him and the 4-wheeler one will go to my aunt and uncle as my cousin was their only child.

<---About 1 1/4 inches tall

<--- Less than an inch long

Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart
    BFP #1 12/13/08 - mc 12/26/08
    BFP #2 12/2/09 - emergency surgery for ectopic 12/5/09

Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss but I don't honestly think it is appropriate to honor a deceased person at a wedding. A wedding is suppose to be a joyous time for the bride and groom.
  • Options
    i know someone who was in a similar situation. the bride and each bridesmaid had a single pink rose added into their bouquets in memory of the girl.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_honoring-deceased-niece?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:29f0d947-5f4e-4e8f-b86f-7ace932b9bd7Post:70745218-d64c-4bf5-908d-1c7446c206c9">Re: Honoring deceased niece</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'd also make anything about your precious niece personal:  her photo in your bouquet is a lovely idea. Or perhaps an angel pin somewhere pinned to your dress or attached to your flowers~maybe even a hair clip with an angel on it. I don't think I'd do anything public or pronounced.  The loss of a child is devastating, and something a parent never completely recovers from.  I'm afraid that anything public would be so hard on your family. Something small and personal will remind you of her, but not dampen the joy of your wedding.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Ditto everything trix said.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Thank you all for the ideas.

I definitely don't want to have a memorial at the wedding. I just want to have a part of her with me somehow and it be special.

I will look into some of the ideas and hopefully something will speak to me and I will know what is perfect.

Thanks!

• Options
    Another girl posted that she ordered one of these and was THRILLED with how it came out- could be a really nice little personal touch for you-

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51692695/bridal-photo-frame-bracelet-with-crystal?ref=sr_list_9&ga_search_query=memorial+photo+bracelet&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards