Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Related to "Cocktail Attire" Post down below

I'm having a medieval themed wedding, and many of mine and my FI friends are fellow medievalists.  We'd like to encourage people to dress up in medieval attire (we know many of them have it and are just dying for an occasion to wear it), but it is not a requirement.  If we shouldn't "dictate" how people should dress on the wedding invitation, should that information just go on the website? 
I personally don't think that people will get the hint that medieval attire is encouraged just from a medieval-esque invitation, so I feel like it has to be said somewhere. 

Re: Related to "Cocktail Attire" Post down below

• Options
    Do you have a wedding website? I think that if you post something in passing on there- if you talk about the theme of the ceremony and reception, it's much more appropriate than wording it on the invitation. I agree with Stage that it shouldn't go on the invitation.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with passing this information via word of mouth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Are you and your friends in the SCA by any chance?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    If you get the word out that the wedding is medieval-themed, I think people would know they could wear their medieval attire. Do the visual elements or wording of your invitations signal that this is a medieval-themed event?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_related-to-cocktail-attire-post-down-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4261ede5-8c89-41a9-adfc-01fc296f9521Post:72c268d8-8ccc-4148-9ad7-60ffa0a2018e">Re: Related to "Cocktail Attire" Post down below</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you and your friends in the SCA by any chance?
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

My FI used to be, but school has made both of us inable to participate.  Soon though - I'm excited to get back into medieval re-enactments!
    Thanks for the info - I will definitely use word of mouth and the website for letting people know.  I do really hope that lots of people can wear their outfits!

• Options
    Hear ye, hear ye... Lord and Lady Kerbohl do hereby convene...blatityblahblah? (on your website - and then some Monty Python Knights who Say Neep quote or something?)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_related-to-cocktail-attire-post-down-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4261ede5-8c89-41a9-adfc-01fc296f9521Post:f6a6de7f-d8a2-4b13-bc22-83e3ea0eb469">Re: Related to "Cocktail Attire" Post down below</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hear ye, hear ye... Lord and Lady Kerbohl do hereby convene...blatityblahblah? (on your website - and then some Monty Python Knights who Say Neep quote or something?)
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

Hehee!  That's awesome!  I love it!

• Options
    Our attire is 'formal evening attire' but we wanted people to know that they can wear a tux if they want, but like another poster said above, if you say they're welcome to wear something they'll feel like you need to. Here's our wording that made it work:

"We request that the attire for our wedding be formal evening attire. 

A dark suit is requested for the men, and a rich colored knee-length or lower dress for women. Formal evening attire is also open to tuxedos and floor-length dresses should individual guests desire, but it is a welcome exception rather than the rule

For more details about formal evening attire, please visit: http://www.ehow.com/about_4673741_formal-evening-wear.html"

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards