Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Opening cards at shower

Hi ladies. My shower is today and I have a question! I tried searching this and had no luck possibly bc I'm on my phone. Obviously I will be opening all of the physical gifts at the shower, but do I also open the cards from guests who did not bring a physical gift? I don't read aloud if they gave me cash or a gift card, do I? If they wrote a note in the card saying they got me xxx and had it shipped to my house, do I read that aloud or just thank the gift giver? Eek can you tell I am nervous! TIA!

Re: Opening cards at shower

• Options
    Yes, open the cards.  Don't read them aloud--they were written for you, not an audience.  I would say something quickly about what the gift is.  For example, for cash: "Thank you, how generous."  For a gift card: "A gift card to Macy's, thank you!  I have had my eye on some new towels/etc."  For a shipped present:  "Thank you!  I am excited to see the _______!"  

Try not to be too nervous and have fun!  
  • Options
    Yes, open the cards! If the giver is there, you can always thank them for their sweet sentiments or mention your relationship with them ("Nancy is my godmother, and she makes my favorite quiche!"). Have fun!
  • Options
    Gift cards should be treated like any other gift. Just like you wouldn't announce how much the towels you opened from Aunt Lucy cost, neither should you mention how much the gift card is for. All cards should be read, as pp said, silently. Just announcing the name is sufficient. open card "This is from Aunt Clara... A gift card for Bed Bath and Beyond! Thank you so much! I can't wait to use this!" Or something less generic. But you get the idea, right? That it should be treated like any other gift?
  • Options
    Not only should you read the non physical gift cards, but also the ones that come with physical gifts. People took the time to write you lovely messages, ignoring them in favor of goodies is rude.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm unsure why it would even be a question as to whether or not you should open the cards. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Opening cards at shower:[QUOTE]I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm unsure why it would even be a question as to whether or not you should open the cards.nbsp; Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]
    I have been to several showers where the bride or mom to be opened the cards after the shower, and other showers where they opened during. I assumed I should open them during but was confused if I would say thank you for the BBB gift card or a more generic thank you for the generous gift.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Opening cards at shower:[QUOTE]Not only should you read the non physical gift cards, but also the ones that come with physical gifts. People took the time to write you lovely messages, ignoring them in favor of goodies is rude. Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Of course I would read the messages, silently. My question was whether to say the gift aloud if it was cash/gift card. I know to never say the amount.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_opening-cards-at-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:576d261f-74d2-4146-97d3-becc9bbcd865Post:5e5e1ddd-5093-4483-98b4-79514c1ba0ab">Re:Opening cards at shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Opening cards at shower: Of course I would read the messages, silently. My question was whether to say the gift aloud if it was cash/gift card. I know to never say the amount.
    Posted by tanyamary627[/QUOTE]

<div>Absolutely not.  You read the card, look at the giver, and say "Thank you, that's very sweet", or some variation thereof.  It's nobody's business if someone gave you cash or not.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards