Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Song advice please

FI is a single dad and wants to have a dance with his 20 year old daughter.  They are both very much into music and are having a difficult time coming up with an appropriate song.  Most of the songs are for the daughter getting married.  

They just want something meaningful but not too sappy.  Any ideas are very much appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Song advice please

• Options
    Stage, I am a Bon Jovi fanatic so that might work.  I had never thought of it.  but, we are incoporating Bon Jovi quite a bit already so he might not go for it.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There is also Israel (Notevengoingtoattemptspellingthelastname)'s version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  It's the Hawaiian sounding one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • Options
    GinaV0822GinaV0822 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:9b388877-eaf7-4d06-8d21-cbe1e3d4e274">Re: Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is also Israel (Notevengoingtoattemptspellingthelastname)'s version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  It's the Hawaiian sounding one.
    Posted by rachelm13[/QUOTE]

<div>Big Iz!  FI loves him.  We were planning to use that in our ceremony but will think about using for their dance instead.  Good idea!</div><div>
    </div><div>Going to listen to the Sheryl Crow's version Sweet Child O Mine.  Never heard that one.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dad and I are dancing to You're My Best Friend by Queen. Not super sappy, not about getting married, a really nice song for a super close father/daughter pairing.
  • Options
    I love "You Are My Sunshine" by Johnny Cash for a dance between a father and a daughter. Also, "Landslide" by Fleedwood Mac, "I Wish I Was the Moon Tonight" by Neko Case, "Take Good Care of my Baby" by Bobby Vee, "These Days" by Nico, "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney, "Anchored in Love" by June Carter Cash,

And I know it's about dying at war, but I love "Love Vigilantes" by Iron & Wine. Oh and I secretly want to play "Naomi" by Neutral Milk Hotel at our wedding.

Enough musicking - I hope you get some good ideas in this thread!
  • Options
    I loooove Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter." It's so sweet, and my only wedding regret might be not dancing with my dad to that song.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:41d5e0a0-c169-41ee-b638-f947415f756f">Re:Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loooove Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter." It's so sweet, and my only wedding regret might be not dancing with my dad to that song.
    Posted by JennyR01[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what my dad and I danced too! We loved it!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:63f774e6-0a79-4b25-aef5-e65c1e63ba7a">Re: Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Song advice please : Again, have you actually paid attention to the lyrics of this song?  It goes right up there with I  Will Always Love You as most asinine wedding songs ever.  
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Landslide always makes me think of death. Which always is weird for me at a wedding. I always find that one and "Every Breath You Take" a bit disturbing at weddings.

Went to a wedding recently where the father and daughter danced to "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" from Gigi which also totally weirded me out...
  • Options
    I'm voting for the suggestions made "My girl" by the temptations or "My best friend" by queen.
  • Options
    My dad and I were going to do "Time in a bottle" by Jim Croce. it's not specifically about fathers and daughter but it is a platonic love song about wishing you had more time to spend with the people you care about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about fishing by trace Adkins?? It's hit or miss, it's country and it's about fishing, but if they like those things even slightly like when she was a little girl it's really cute.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:f51c7db0-4687-4de1-b65a-e36a76c639a4">Re: Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Song advice please : Landslide always makes me think of death. Which always is weird for me at a wedding. I always find that one and "Every Breath You Take" a bit disturbing at weddings. Went to a wedding recently where the father and daughter danced to "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" from Gigi which also totally weirded me out...
    Posted by vonclancy[/QUOTE]

<div>Eh, I'm a person who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics. If the theme was glaringly obvious (about cheating/breaking up, dying, etc.), then I'd understand the need to avoid it. I mean, "Every Breath You Take" is prettty obviously creepy. But I'm walking down the aisle to a Bon Iver song in a major key that's about suffering, but because you can't ever understand a single word he says, it just sounds like a nice song and no one will know the difference (and I am hellbent on crying, and that's the only song that will make me cry). To me, what I hear in "Landslide" is about changing and maturing, not necessarily dropping dead. But that's what I think, and you have a different opinion, which is 100% okay.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Song advice please:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Song advice please:In Response to Re: Song advice please : Landslide always makes me think of death. Which always is weird for me at a wedding. I always find that one and "Every Breath You Take" a bit disturbing at weddings. Went to a wedding recently where the father and daughter danced to "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" from Gigi which also totally weirded me out...Posted by vonclancyEh, I'm a person who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics. If the theme was glaringly obvious about cheating/breaking up, dying, etc., then I'd understand the need to avoid it. I mean, "Every Breath You Take" is prettty obviously creepy. But I'm walking down the aisle to a Bon Iver song in a major key that's about suffering, but because you can't ever understand a single word he says, it just sounds like a nice song and no one will know the difference and I am hellbent on crying, and that's the only song that will make me cry. To me, what I hear in "Landslide" is about changing and maturing, not necessarily dropping dead. But that's what I think, and you have a different opinion, which is 100 okay. Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]
    Is it "Always?" Just curious.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:c4be6c77-d612-4956-9a3f-65f417daada4">Re: Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Song advice please : Eh, I'm a person who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics. If the theme was glaringly obvious (about cheating/breaking up, dying, etc.), then I'd understand the need to avoid it. I mean, "Every Breath You Take" is prettty obviously creepy. But I'm walking down the aisle to a Bon Iver song in a major key that's about suffering, but because you can't ever understand a single word he says, it just sounds like a nice song and no one will know the difference (and I am hellbent on crying, and that's the only song that will make me cry). To me, what I hear in "Landslide" is about changing and maturing, not necessarily dropping dead. But that's what I think, and you have a different opinion, which is 100% okay.
    Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]

Totally understandable. I don't think most people think of death with that song - your interpretation is more popular - but I definitely do so it just makes me a little squirmy personally. I would never actually say anything to someone about it though if it was their father daughter dance at a wedding.

And I understand picking a song that you love even if others don't get it. I only had one other major "MUST PLAY" sort of song on my list for the wedding that a lot of people will find rather odd, but it's a song FI and I love so I'm doing it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_song-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82a75ff4-5e63-4fbb-bdd7-2fd94ee24ddbPost:b3e5b533-b30c-4d35-a075-1b75a7cea57a">Re: Song advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about fishing by trace Adkins?? It's hit or miss, it's country and it's about fishing, but if they like those things even slightly like when she was a little girl it's really cute.
    Posted by Brittywest05[/QUOTE]

This is what me and my dad are dancing too! My dad is a huge fisherman and he always took me and my sister growing up so it has a lot of meaning to us. Just a cute song about spending time as a father/daughter
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards