Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

RSVP "add in" from uninvited children....sorry to ask again

I know this has been answered and I searced the boards ad nauseum but I cannot find the many posts I know are here.  I sent an invite to a couple, they RSVP'd with their 18 year old daughter written into the RSVP.  She's a nice kid, we don't have the space, yadda yadda. 

I was going to say, "We are so glad that you both can make it to the wedding!  Unfortunately, we just do not have any more space at the venue for XXXX.  I hope you understand, we wish we could invite everyone!  Can't wait to see you"

I know someone had a prettier way to say all of this, can you help me out real quick please.

PS-this is my first RSVP (I just mailed them Tuesday)....cmon man!  Already with the extra write-ins!?  And so it begins.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

Re: RSVP "add in" from uninvited children....sorry to ask again

• Options
    Someone else will be able to tell you how to word it better, but you will get your point across much clearer if you say  'We are so glad that You and John (or You and Jane)  can make it to the wedding!'

Names are very pointed, and they might very well get the hint if you address just the two by name.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I would just call hem and let hem know due to save constraints you are unable o add any additional people. If pushed with the "oh somebody else will decline" statement I would say you have already invited slightly over capacity....even if it s not the truth. U fortunately once you let one do it word spreads thru families and they all do it
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-add-in-from-uninvited-childrensorry-to-ask-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8f0d78df-6d38-4d99-a340-8451051491ddPost:aa5e5835-9bcd-4809-912c-6606e5a4f385">Re: RSVP "add in" from uninvited children....sorry to ask again</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just call hem and let hem know due to save constraints you are unable o add any additional people. If pushed with the "oh somebody else will decline" statement<strong> I would say you have already invited slightly over capacity.</strong>...even if it s not the truth. U fortunately once you let one do it word spreads thru families and they all do it
    Posted by MsYeck[/QUOTE]

<div>What? There is no need to lie here, because that makes OP look bad when she doesn't need to. It was there mistake that they wrote in an RSVP. Can you English at all?</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-add-in-from-uninvited-childrensorry-to-ask-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8f0d78df-6d38-4d99-a340-8451051491ddPost:aa5e5835-9bcd-4809-912c-6606e5a4f385">Re: RSVP "add in" from uninvited children....sorry to ask again</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just call hem and let hem know due to save constraints you are unable o add any additional people.<strong> If pushed with the "oh somebody else will decline" statement I would say you have already invited slightly over capacity....even if it s not the truth</strong>. U fortunately once you let one do it word spreads thru families and they all do it
    Posted by MsYeck[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's the best course of action.  I'm having trouble following the rest of your post. 

• Options
    Yeah, don't lie about anything, and frankly, you don't need to defend why you didn't invite someone (and I would consider their child to be an adult at the age of 18 anyway). I would just say, "The invitation was just for you and spouse's name." If you wanted to add a reason to soften it, you could say, "Due to space/budget/whatever constraints, we weren't able to invite everyone we really wanted to."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    "Hi Sue! We got your RSVP in the mail the other day, thank you so much! Unfortunately, the invitation was only for you and John and we are unable to accomodate Amy. I hope you understand!"

If Sue says that she won't attend without Amy, you respond with "I'm sorry to hear that, we will miss you".

If Sue says that Amy won't be a bother and can she pleaseplease come because she looooves you so much, you say "I'm sorry, but we can only accomodate you and John"

It sucks, but remember, THEY are rude for adding a write-in, so stick to your guns.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-add-in-from-uninvited-childrensorry-to-ask-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8f0d78df-6d38-4d99-a340-8451051491ddPost:8a0ddae3-9ad3-40ca-a846-a490aa76681b">Re: RSVP "add in" from uninvited children....sorry to ask again</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Hi Sue! We got your RSVP in the mail the other day, thank you so much! Unfortunately, the invitation was only for you and John and we are unable to accomodate Amy. I hope you understand!" If Sue says that she won't attend without Amy, you respond with "I'm sorry to hear that, we will miss you". If Sue says that Amy won't be a bother and can she pleaseplease come because she looooves you so much, you say "I'm sorry, but we can only accomodate you and John" It sucks, but remember, THEY are rude for adding a write-in, so stick to your guns.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

We invited some of the children we are closer to.  We've met her daughter a handful of times, nice kid, but she's 18....she can stay home for the evening.  Thanks, this is the wording I was looking for!

• Options

She just said, "oh that's fine, not a problem at all!" 
    *sigh* thankfully she made that easy!  Let's cross our fingers that is the last one.  (yeah right)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards