Wedding Etiquette Forum

Throwback Thursday -Prom

I wasn't up much for Tacky Thursday today but we still need some up beat conversation in light of the week, right? Kristan suggested Throwback Thursday - Prom.  Thank you for not making me think.

So, share a photo of a common dress from the year you graduated or the year you went to prom....you get an extra 2 points if you share your own dress.

OK GO.
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom

• Somewhere I do have a pic of me in my Prom dress. I am looking, but we have a lot of stuff still in boxes. If I can find the box with our "misc pics," I will have it. I graduated high school in 1991, and my dress looked a lot like this, but emerald green:

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    A lot of us went a little renaissancy. I'm the one with the red arrow.  I think the was 1999
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Here's a picture of me in mine.  It's not the best angle, but it's the only one with just me in it.  I also made it.  Took forever.

ETA: This was 2007.  It was not "in style" but it was what I liked.  I used a wedding dress pattern and actually started it in a sewing class at school.  I told my teacher that's what I wanted to make and she was like, "um, are you sure?" Everyone else made pillows or something.

• Ok, I went to prom in 2005.  This was the only pic of me I could find on this computer, and I had to crop others out:

It was like a long mermaid dress with a ruffle skirt.  At the time, I thought it was adorable, and I was thin enough to wear it.  I ended up donating it a few years later to a prom dress drive (for girls who can't afford dresses), so I hope SOMEONE liked my dress, haha.  

When I go to the stores today, I think girls have such cuter options.  I hated most of the "popular" prom dresses when I was in school.  Or the really nice ones were way out of my budget.

SaveSave

• Just for funsies
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:60e045aa-3dba-423a-a871-ae2828a25f16">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's a picture of me in mine.  It's not the best angle, but it's the only one with just me in it.  I also made it.  Took forever.  
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

totally impressive. I understand why you have such an incredible sewing machine
    image   imageimage

• Yay Facebook. Here's my friend and me from my 2006 prom (we went as a group of like 8 guys and girls, so our "dates" were all friends):

photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • @ muppet... ha I love that movie, and I always liked their dresses

@ misshart... I love that you made your prom dress.  That looks totally professional too.  

I'm going to need some years to accompany these dresses.

SaveSave
  • bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2013

This is the only prom dress picture I can access. It was my sophmore year dress, but is still my favorite. It was the hottest possible hot pink, and had feathers covering the skirt. I was the only one with a short dress at my prom that year, but I've noticed they've gotten really popular recently. 

The trend was more like this (google images, I don't know these people):

or this:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My prom was only two years ago, but my sister's going through prom now, so it's fresh in my mind lately. I've got to go through my computer and find a photo of the dress! I bought it at a vintage expo and I was absolutely obsessed with it. I still am! 

I'm trying to remember the really "in" prom trends. It was a cold night, but NO ONE was dressed appropriately, meaning that everyone had some mismatched shawl or her date's jacket over her shoulders most of the night. I ran out and bought a shawl the night before prom when I realized that it was going to be colder than I'd hoped. 

I think my main memory of clothing, though, comes from my date, who really wanted a powder blue tux. He called all over town to find it and went to the one store that claimed to have one. When he got there, nope! No powder blue. Just black. He wore a powder blue bowtie as an homage to the blue tux that wasn't. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:95465ab9-db00-445a-9dc1-5cc3053124c3">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom : totally impressive. I understand why you have such an incredible sewing machine
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

Thanks Muppet.  I also wore it to two Air Force balls.  I wanted to get some use out of that dress.  It also has crystal buttons all the way down the top on the back.
  • Most popular dress when I went to school:
    It came in white too. Half of the girls at all of my proms wore this in either black or white

Me in my senior year dress:

I prefered the ballgowns

I actually still have the dress I wore sophomore year. I'm taking the poofy crap out and wearing it for FI's work gala next year :) It's a gorgeous dress. I'll have to see if I can dredge up a photo.
  • Gosh, I don't know where my photos are! I know that when my folks moved out of their old house and to a condo last year, I donated all my dresses (homecoming and prom) to one of those groups that helps girls get gowns for prom...

I do have prom horror stories:

Junior year, drove myself down, went to leave, and car wouldn't start. Turns out alternator was loose. Had to call parents to come get me, and there was a bit of car dirt (not grease, thank goodness) on my WHITE dress from my efforts to open the hood and see what was wrong.

Senior Year: Drove a friend (Junior) as a girls night as her bf broke up with her a month before prom. On our way back, had to take a detour due to apparent crash ahead. When being directed by the cop, learned that a guy had run out into the path of an oncoming SUV, and was later hit again by another vehicle.

Scary prom tales anyone?
  • I don't even remember what my prom dess looked like senior year. No memory of the color at all. Lame. It was 2001 and Jessica McClintock ball gowns were the thing. But I just bought mine at a department store. 

My dress junior year was a bridesmaid dress I wore in my cousin's wedding in 1998. 
  • I think my prom gown is still at my parents house. I should donate it. I wonder if anyone would want it though.
    image   imageimage

• Sad! I totally don't have a prom picture...  they exist somewhere, but not on my computer apparently.  I wore an apple red david's bridal dress that I wore as a BM at 16 and re-wore for prom.  full length poofy dresses were worn by the majority in 2005.   Though I remember a few of the more popular girls wore skin tight dresses with cutouts like what bunni posted above.

As a sorority girl I had the distinct pleasure (or not) of multiple formal dances a year all through college, and those of course are all on facebook...
  • My prom was in 2008 And this is my dress. I LOVED it.
    It was a mermaid style, but because it had a train I had to bustle it. I had to crop out some of my friends here to get the best angle. BF went with me and we had the BEST prom pictures out of my group that got them. Most of my friend's pics came out kinda crappy and awkward, but the flowers in the background matched my ribbon perfectly - I frequently get asked if it's a wedding picture because of the white dress.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited April 2013
    Ok, Google got a bit racey on me when I tried to find a dress like mine, so I'll just describe it.

Preface:  I was goth in highschool.  Like really goth.

My gown was a full length black pleather ballgown.  Strapless, with a lace-up back.  I decided that even this was not gothy enough, so I rocked a black velvet venetian mask with gold beading and gorgeous dangle beads.  Similar to the pic below except no feathers and black and gold colored:

The best part is that the mask was actually from Venice (been there the year before), and I felt rocksome.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:b08bf78b-a575-4028-9ee8-15476e5f1f24">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, Google got a bit racey on me when I tried to find a dress like mine, so I'll just describe it. Preface:  I was goth in highschool.  Like really goth. My gown was a full length black pleather ballgown.  Strapless, with a lace-up back.  I decided that even this was not gothy enough, so I rocked a black velvet venetian mask with gold beading and gorgeous dangle beads.  Similar to the pic below except no feathers and black and gold colored: The best part is that the mask was actually from Venice (been there the year before), and I felt rocksome.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

I don't see it! You had like a Gone with the Wind Belle of the Ball wedding dress. I'm having trouble making that jump.  lol. I love it.
    image   imageimage

• edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:aecc45c9-5a34-486d-8cf2-ff5a6ebb35c7">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom : I don't see it! You had like a Gone with the Wind Belle of the Ball wedding dress. I'm having trouble making that jump.  lol. I love it.

Haha, I know.  My family almost fainted the day I started wearing colors.  I spent 8 years on my goth phase.  I even dyed my hair black, wore black lipstick, often had a trenchcoat on, and even had my head shaved into a fohawk at one point.

I'll have to dig into the photo albums and see if I can get a pic.  You guys will laugh your butts off.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• This post is just making me feel old. Was prom really 10 years ago?? I did rock an incredible hot orange and sparkly ballgown. Wish I had a pic but I'm on my work computer and can't access anything fun except TK. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:27e5cab4-a2ca-4b37-8095-c6d8e95a95d0">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sad! I totally don't have a prom picture...  they exist somewhere, but not on my computer apparently.  I wore an apple red david's bridal dress that I wore as a BM at 16 and re-wore for prom.  <strong>full length poofy dresses were worn by the majority in 2005.   Though I remember a few of the more popular girls wore skin tight dresses </strong>with cutouts like what bunni posted above. As a sorority girl I had the distinct pleasure (or not) of multiple formal dances a year all through college, and those of course are all on facebook...
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

That's exactly right! My pink dress is from 2005, and it was either floofy ballgowns, or skintight with cutouts. And then me.  2006 and 2007 weren't much better, but by 2007 the multicolored, pick-ups, or ruffled dresses were giving a bit of variety.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:e5f70204-ef34-4b2a-8c82-ab2d74610fd9">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom : Haha, I know.  My family almost fainted the day I started wearing colors.  I spent 8 years on my goth phase.  I even dyed my hair black, wore black lipstick, often had a trenchcoat on, and even had my head shaved into a fohawk at one point. I'll have to dig into the photo albums and see if I can get a pic.  You guys will laugh your butts off.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Yes you will have to. Must see. You should do a then and now siggy.
    image   imageimage

• My senior prom was in 2002 and at that time there were two looks that were popular, the huge sparkly tulle ballgown number or the tight, sexy, sequined, cutout number.  I didn't really go for either or those.

I don't have any photos on my computer but here is kind of what my dress looked like...

Imagine it in a pinky mauve color with the under layer in an ivory and a very subtle starburst embellishment at the hip.  I absolutely loved my prom dress and so wish I had a picture of it digitally.

But here is a pic of me and H back in my senior year of highschool (circa 2002).

Not the best picture of H but I am just loving that I am rocking my ginormous class ring!

• My senior year of high school, 1999.

Dress styles were a little all over the place.  A lot of girls were wearing two piece dresses (think tube top with a long skirt) or lots of cutouts in the back and sides.  I don't remember anyone wearing a short dress though.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I was trying to find a photo in my album, I guess I don't have it. One girl I went to school with made her dress. It was like a tube shirt that was white at the very top and bottom to over her booms and crotch/butt and then the rest was sheer.

She could not sit.

i cannot believe they let her in. It was so inappropriate.
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_throwback-thursday-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd1cfeb-5678-4ef4-8947-a9bd761b71b9Post:a9fdc3e2-6767-4c03-9b23-1d61dae0054e">Re: Throwback Thursday -Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was trying to find a photo in my album, I guess I don't have it. One girl I went to school with made her dress. It was like a tube shirt that was white at the very top and bottom to over her booms and crotch/butt and then the rest was sheer. She could not sit. i cannot believe they let her in. It was so inappropriate.

They wouldn't let one girl in at my prom.  Her "dress" looked like slightly wide susependers and a short skirt (no bra or anything).  It actually looked like lingerie.  She kept saying how one of her guy friends made the dress.  Wonder why he chose that...
  • harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I went to three proms (I attended an all-girls school and both the boys' school and our school had proms - both had one junior year, and the boys' school had one senior year - we had a "white dinner" for our graduation where we all wore white dresses and had dinner and dancing). Here's my favorite of the three dresses I wore:

It was full-length and by BCBG. We got it on super-sale at Marshall Fields (when that store still existed) - it was seriously marked down to $75 from $400. I still have this dress.

ETA: 2005
  • Here's me from 2005

Can't find any from senior year (2006).  That prom was fun.  My date largely ignored me, and my best friend's date followed us to the bathroom when we tried to escape his presence for a few minutes.  Another friend started crying because she went with her ex boyfriend (bad move on her party) and he wasn't very nice to her.
  • I was one of the few people wearing a short dress at my prom in 2007. Came off the clearance rack at the Deb for $7.00, yayy.

The big trend I remember was pick ups, pick ups, pick ups. Everyone had them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards