Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Vendor Follow-up

Have any of you ladies ever been asked by the vendor why you didn't choose them?  If so how did you respond?

Specifically how do you respond when it comes to food?

Re: Vendor Follow-up

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vendor-follow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:abc64a6f-4947-459a-8c56-4d5e284a2801Post:7377c9be-4145-4c10-98dd-1c1f7810e843">Vendor Follow-up</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have any of you ladies ever been asked by the vendor why you didn't choose them?  If so how did you respond? Specifically how do you respond when it comes to food?
    Posted by libby18bell[/QUOTE]

Just be honest?

"We didn't care for the chicken options, and there weren't enough reasonable options for vegetarian dishes"

Or whatever.
  • Options
    Yes, I actually got a few of these. I answered some but not all.

If we had a connection with someone or felt they really went above and beyond, we always wrote back. I complimented them on the things they did well, and gave one specific, non-negotiable reason we selected the other one. So, an example would be:

"Thank you for the tour of your beautiful venue. The views of the ocean are breathtaking and we love the unique decor of the reception room. I can tell you are someone who pays attention to detail and puts on a fantastic event for your couples. It was a very difficult decision for us, but we decided to go with Venue B because we have many out of town guests and it would be more convenient to have it in a hotel."
  • Options
    I just used a very simple "We decided to go in a different direction" on the rare times we got asked why.

• Options
    Yeah honesty is good with respect.  If I took a lot of someone's time and they were courteous to me, I would send them something that thanks them for their time, mention the things I appreciated, and then a brief reason or two why I chose another vendor.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vendor-follow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abc64a6f-4947-459a-8c56-4d5e284a2801Post:4af233d0-0d0a-41c7-8ef3-e4c24a36b4cc">Re: Vendor Follow-up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just had to do this yesterday. We found out after getting a quote from our favorite restaurant that our venue would charge us 10% of our catering bill if we chose an outside vendor which put them out of our price range. I just told the restaurant that we decided to go with our venue's caterer.
    Posted by Ctexasgurl26[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they will work with you on that (caterers). I had a few people come back to me with ways they were willing to work with me to combat the reasons I chose against them.

If I was 100% uninterested in them at all and didn't want to waste my time giving feedback (I forgot to note that in my previous response) I just gave a simple we went in another direction response.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    The only follow up questions I rec'd were from one of the first venues we looked at.

I was honest with them and told them we didn't think they had enough nice places for pictures and that the decor seemed really dated.
  • Options
    Out of 9 venues we visited, I had just one call me to follow up if I'd made a decision, and it was a very close second for us so Im sure it showed at the appointment that we loved the place. I told her we had chosen another venue because it was better suited for our smaller guest list and we could have it on a Saturday. She was really nice about it and said the venue we chose is great and wished me the best. I see no reason to not be honest. It's a business and they understand you will be choosing among multiple vendors.
  • Options
    I had a vendor (DJ) be snarky in a follow up e-mail. Instead of asking me the reason we didn't choose his company, he just gave his opinion on why we did what we did. i.e. he thinks we chose based on just the cheapest price alone, and that we will get what we pay for in the end. I did not reply. I wish he would know though that we paid somebody more than he was asking, and we went with the other company because they had options and features his company did not have available.
  • Options
    One photographer we met with followed up and asked for specifics and I gave them to him (went with a local to us photog in lieu of a local to the venue). However there is one photo vendor who has been very aggressive that I won't be responding to anymore. I wish wish wish I had created a wedding email address!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards