Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

No registry = honeymoon?

FI seems to think that it is not in bad taste to instead of registering to ask for all money that would have spent to go towards our honeymoon............I'm torn. Part of me feels like that's horrible idea because its like asking our guests to not only attend but to pay to attend...but the other half sees how it could potentially be a great idea because we already own a home and already have everything we need. There would only be one item on the registry and it would be a kitchen aid mixer lol i need some advice.

Re: No registry = honeymoon?

• Options
    Registering for a honeymoon is rude.  It is like asking guests for money, which is rude.  You could always register for some upgrades, like new dishes or china.  Or if you don't register at all I'm suer the guests will get the hint that you would cash without actually telling them you want cash.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't create a registry then your guests will likely get the hint that you'd prefer cash. There should be no mention of it anywhere on any wedding stationery, though. If people ask what you'd like for the wedding then you can say, "Oh we're saving up for X right now."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Do not tell people to give you money. Just don't register, and you are likely to get cash. You are also likely to still get random stuff you don't need anyway. We did. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Having a shower may be an issue if you don't have a registry. Most people don't bring money to a shower. They bring a gift for you to open at the shower.

If you just want money, skip the shower. People will bring money to the wedding and you can use that toward your honeymoon. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-registry-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e255c9ec-6120-4efe-893a-4af57d66c5f3Post:e3d0578d-cfda-4e89-a3e5-0778e5a614b1">Re: No registry = honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having a shower may be an issue if you don't have a registry. Most people don't bring money to a shower. They bring a gift for you to open at the shower. If you just want money, skip the shower. People will bring money to the wedding and you can use that toward your honeymoon. 
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

Second this. We also don't need anything and are saving for the honeymoon. In the end, we're doing a very small registry at BB&B, but - because FI and I have been living together 3 years and have an established household - I declined when family friends offered to throw me a shower. I think people will also get the hint when they see how small our registry is.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! No registry. No shower. But no word of "asking" for money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards